Thread: freshwater fishing question

i fish in a reservoir with very high pressured water. Should i go about fishing high pressured waters differently than normal waters? Ive been having trouble catching bass so far this season

which reservoir are you fishing at, all the reservoirs around me you get arrested at if you fish there, you are lucky as hell they are usually the best places to fish at

massapequa reservoir, no permit is required, is probably the most heavily fished lake on long island.

[url=http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg1/massapequareservoir.html]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg1/ma...areservoir.html[/url]

On a very highly pressured lake/river spot or reservoir?

I usually go with live Minnows fished with minimal weight (usually a split shot or two) on light line (preferably florocarbon line due to its light refracting properties) under the smallest float you can get away with based on the size of your minnows.

I usually use a Thill Cigar Float with two split shot, about 3-4 feet of line (depending on the depth you are fishing).

Works very well AND can also catch you Crappies, Walleye, Pike, Trout and Perch if they are in the same waters as the bass you are fishing for.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 9 2004, 11:42 PM
    [b] On a very highly pressured lake/river spot or reservoir?

I usually go with live Minnows fished with minimal weight (usually a split shot or two) on light line (preferably florocarbon line due to its light refracting properties) under the smallest float you can get away with based on the size of your minnows.

I usually use a Thill Cigar Float with two split shot, about 3-4 feet of line (depending on the depth you are fishing).

Works very well AND can also catch you Crappies, Walleye, Pike, Trout and Perch if they are in the same waters as the bass you are fishing for. [/b][/quote]
    judging by your signature, i trust you...

im so happy i'm not a fish ;)

what artificial baits would u use warfish, the lake is also very weedy, so i was thinking of using some weightless worming. thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If its weedy, I usualy use top water lures. Or the texas rigged plastic worm. Lets move this to the everything else forum. We should keep all fishing stuff there.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 10 2004, 01:18 AM
    [b] what artificial baits would u use warfish, the lake is also very weedy, so i was thinking of using some weightless worming. thoughts? [/b][/quote]
    Definitly try some topwater lures, like a popper-type (I like the Rapala Frog-Pattern Version). You could also try weedless tubes or, as you mentioned, a worm (with the hook point hidden in the worm).

Personally, I suck at worm fishing (and most slower presentations). I do much better of live bait or faster presentations, like Grubs, Thumptail Minnows, Twister tails, all on Mionnow Shaped Jig Heads and all cast and retrieved. Of course, lots of weeds makes that a hard presentation to use.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 10 2004, 01:18 AM
    [b] what artificial baits would u use warfish, the lake is also very weedy, so i was thinking of using some weightless worming. thoughts? [/b][/quote]
    are you fishing from a boat or from shore and how early are you getting there?
    when I go bass fishing I get to the boat {row boat} around 5:00am
    I would try and find a weed line to work,I doubt the entire surface of the lake is weeded over. then I would
    I would almost always tie on a 51/4" Rapalla original color on my 1st rod and have a 2nd rod {pre-rigged with say either a spinner bait with a "berkly power tail" !!!! or a 6" worm {berkly power ripple tail}in pumpkin or motor oil color using the spider head that's a weight and hook combo for wormin.

the type of day it is {sunny overcast etc etc} will dictate lure color.
    {bright day-bright lure....dark day-dark lure}

and the berkly power plastics are unbeleivable fish producers,

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by joe willie[/i]@May 10 2004, 02:47 PM
    [b] [when I go bass fishing I get to the boat {row boat} around 5:00am
    I would try and find a weed line to work, [/b][/quote]
    I used to do that, I spent more time actually catching fish yesterday with my new fish finder. You dont need to spend much $$ to get a decent one. There is one that is wireless and you cast out the transducer on your line.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67+May 10 2004, 02:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetman67 @ May 10 2004, 02:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--joe willie[/i]@May 10 2004, 02:47 PM
    [b] [when I go bass fishing I get to the boat {row boat} around 5:00am
    I would try and find a weed line to work, [/b][/quote]
    I used to do that, I spent more time actually catching fish yesterday with my new fish finder. You dont need to spend much &#036;&#036; to get a decent one. There is one that is wireless and you cast out the transducer on your line. [/b][/quote]
    jetman67 :, :D I actually have a farely expensive unit that for a short time the company {bottom line}
    made a portable case and battery pack for &#33;&#33;&#33;,I&#39;ve been using the tournament master with a rechargable battery and that awsome case for the past 6 years now though I really don&#39;t need it for bass fishing on Titicus reservoir {where I bass fish 90% of the time}.
    I pretty much know where the structure is on the reservoir from seeing it through several very low water levels.a buddy of mine actually took a few rolls of film where the best structure areas were {old property dividing walls and humps etc etc
    I take it mostly for tout fishing in the Rye-lake section of Kensico. It helps me locate the schools of bait and tells me what depth most of the fish are at.another decent item for trout drifting was a sea anchor {sometimes called a drift sock} they slow the boat considerably allowing a more lifelike presentation of bait or lure in windy situations &#33;&#33;

i fish from the shore guys, the weeds are VERY heavy so i need to use either a weedless lure or a topwater lure

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Texas Rigged worm may be a good option for you, or a top water spinner.

then I would hope your able to wade out somewhat,you should be able to find an area thats fishable.
    {although I must admit I don&#39;t know that reservoir}

are you using waders to fish from shore, I would get a decent {light-weight pair of waders} then locate the points to fish from,if your completely weeded in ? then it&#39;s unfishable from shore.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by joe willie[/i]@May 11 2004, 10:43 AM
    [b] then locate the points to fish from,if your completely weeded in ? then it&#39;s unfishable from shore. [/b][/quote]
    If you cannot access the fish from shore, simply buy a boat. :D

no boats allowed in this lake

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Then I would stick with the texas worm or any other top water bait.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 9 2004, 10:51 PM
    [b] i fish in a reservoir with very high pressured water. Should i go about fishing high pressured waters differently than normal waters? Ive been having trouble catching bass so far this season [/b][/quote]
    You have to. If your fishing with live bait there are alot of variations you can try. Don&#39;t rule out a bottom rig either. ;)