Thread: military Times newspaper

Military newspaper blames Rumsfeld, Myers for "professional negligence"

53 minutes ago Add World - AFP to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A leading military newspaper said that US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld set the tone for the prisoner abuse scandal in Iraq (news - web sites) by refusing to give captives rights due prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions.

AFP/File Photo

Latest headlines:
    Red Cross Report Describes Abuse in Iraq
    AP - 4 minutes ago
    Lawyers Says Accused Soldier Is Scapegoat
    AP - 5 minutes ago
    Red Cross Was Told Iraq Abuse 'Part of the Process'
    Reuters - 14 minutes ago
    Special Coverage

"This was a failure that ran straight to the top," said the editorial appearing in the May 17 edition of the Military Times weeklies.

"Accountability here is essential -- even if that means relieving top leaders from duty in a time of war," it said.

Owned by Gannett, the Military Times publishes the Army, Navy and Air Force times, weeklies that are widely read by servicemembers and distributed on US military bases around the world.

The editorial said the soldiers caught in photographs and videos abusing prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison are referred to around the Pentagon (news - web sites) as "the six morons who lost the war."

"But the folks in the Pentagon are talking about the wrong morons," it said.

Responsibility, it said, "extends all the way up the chain of command to the highest reaches of the military hierarchy and its civilian leadership."

"The entire affair is a failure of leadership from start to finish," it said.

"Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld set the tone early in this war by steadfastly refusing to give captives the rights accorded to prisoners of war under the Geneva Convention," it said.

"From the moment they are captured, prisoners are hooded, shackled and accorded no rights whatsoever. The message to the troops: Anything goes."

The editorial also faults General Richard Myers, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, for trying to persuade CBS television to refrain from airing the images while failing to read the army's own damning internal report detailing the abuses.

"On the battlefield, Myers' and Rumsfelds' errors would be called a lack of situational awareness -- a failure that amounts to professional negligence," it said.

military times! i can't believe you are quoting that liberal rag!! B)

bman, maybe you'll answer this question in this thread instead of ducking it.

If you're so upset about the Iraqi prison scandal and at Donald Rumsfeld who didn't commit these acts, why are you not upset Kerry committed War Crimes in Vietnam? You instead call him brave and a hero.

i never ever said I like Kerry..Unfortunatley the choices of leaders we have in this country is uttery dispicable...This country is 'supposedly' the greatest country on earth..and all we have is a bumbling idiot who comes from an american dynasty oil company with ties to terrorism..and a botox injecting lurch..

i'll take that question

Kerry may or may not have done things he regretted in Vietnam but at least he was brave enough to go.

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 10 2004, 12:15 PM
    [b] i'll take that question

Kerry may or may not have done things he regretted in Vietnam but at least he was brave enough to go. [/b][/quote]
    Nice cop out, typical response.

Why are you not outraged that he committed WAR CRIMES? You seem to defend what he did just because he went on a whopping 3 and half month tour.

What about those americans over in Iraq who abused the prisoners, atleast they're serving their country, right? :rolleyes:
    Yet you condemn them every day :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by pope+May 10 2004, 12:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (pope @ May 10 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@May 10 2004, 12:15 PM
    [b] i&#39;ll take that question

Kerry may or may not have done things he regretted in Vietnam but at least he was brave enough to go. [/b][/quote]
    Nice cop out, typical response.

Why are you not outraged that he committed WAR CRIMES? You seem to defend what he did just because he went on a whopping 3 and half month tour.

What about those americans over in Iraq who abused the prisoners, atleast they&#39;re serving their country, right? :rolleyes:
    Yet you condemn them every day :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Dont get too worked up over this Pope. These morons are crying about prisoner abuse and yet where was their outrage when Americans were being dragged through the streets of Iraq. Where was their outrage when a pregnant woman and her four daughters were murdered by terrorists in Israel last week. Where was their outrage when foreign hostages in Iraq were burnt alive or had their throats slit. I didn&#39;t hear a word out of these two. Give me a break.

[quote][b]Where was their outrage when a pregnant woman and her four daughters were murdered by terrorists in Israel last week.[/b][/quote]

hey why don&#39;t we put a big jewish star in the middle of the flag and make Israel an official state?

until that happens i could give a f--k what tragedies occur in Israel.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 10 2004, 12:46 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Where was their outrage when a pregnant woman and her four daughters were murdered by terrorists in Israel last week.[/b][/quote]

hey why don&#39;t we put a big jewish star in the middle of the flag and make Israel an official state?

until that happens i could give a f--k what tragedies occur in Israel. [/b][/quote]
    Spoken from a true member of the "party of political correctness, environmentalism and global equality."

Nice.

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 10 2004, 12:46 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Where was their outrage when a pregnant woman and her four daughters were murdered by terrorists in Israel last week.[/b][/quote]

until that happens i could give a f--k what tragedies occur in Israel. [/b][/quote]
    and yet your so concerned about what happened to some iraqi terririst prisoners. This post speaks volumes about who you are. You try to pass yourself off as some voice of reason amongst the crazy conservatives. You are an America Hater who takes pleasure in the deaths of our soldiers. You revel in anything negative about this country. You gleefully post pictures of the prisoner abuse under the guise of some concerned humanitarian. When it comes dowd to is you are a radical left wing nut. Just be happy we have brave soldiers willing to fight and die for your right to hate them.

im not a democrat im a registered independant

you guys forget this country was founded on the right to free speech against the government

that covers both my right to point out the truth and your right to act like a brainwashed jackass