Thread: the axis got it's third member

Sources: Bush to Impose Sanctions on Syria This Week

2 hours, 48 minutes ago Add Politics to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) plans this week to impose economic sanctions on Syria for supporting terrorism and failing to stop guerrillas from entering Iraq (news - web sites), people involved in the deliberations said on Monday.

Reuters Photo

Congressional sources said Bush was expected to curb future investments by American energy firms in Syria and prohibit Syrian aircraft from flying into the United States.

Bush was also expected either to block transactions involving the Syrian government or to ban exports to Syria of U.S. products other than food and medicine, the sources said.

A White House announcement on the sanctions is planned as early as Tuesday.

The move comes after lawmakers, who helped push legislation through Congress last year to sanction Syria, complained that Bush appeared to be appeasing Damascus by not implementing the penalties under the so-called Syria Accountability Act.

The lawmakers, Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Florida Republican, and Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat, said they were preparing legislation for stiffer penalties on Syria and additional measures to isolate and weaken its government.

The Syria Accountability Act, passed by the House and Senate by overwhelming margins, offered Bush a menu of sanctions to punish Damascus for supporting terror groups, failing to stop guerrilla fighters from crossing into Iraq from Syria, developing chemical and perhaps biological weapons, and keeping troops in Lebanon.

here we go..Bush will soon start mentioning Syria in press conferences..
    I guess they have large oil reserves too..oh yeah, they also border the the onlt country in the middle east with WMD's (Isreal)

Bman you're an ass. I wont bother responding further.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

so where back on the "oil-for-blood" kick again? That "military industrial complex" theory you posted barely lasted 72-hours :lol:

[SIZE=3][b]NEXT![/b][/SIZE]

Banned
    i hope syria gives bush a big f**k you...

come on..we need to protect ariel sharon (even though he has more nukes than britain!)

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 10 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] come on..we need to protect ariel sharon (even though he has more nukes than britain!) [/b][/quote]
    The prob is that Israel is surrounded.....England is not...(they get along with the Irish and the French)...

Listen, we all knew it was a matter of time until Syria overstepped the boundary..they have been allowing people through their country. They dont like US...and we dont like them....its a mutual dislike. Its sad because Syria is a beautiful country full or Archelogical treasures! Oh well....

LL

Banned
    I would agree that England gets along with most of their neighbors...but the irish? i don't necessarally think they are loving neighbors...

Isreal could take a big step towards getting along with its neighbors if its stopped building a fence through palestinian land..

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 10 2004, 04:19 PM
    [b] Isreal could take a big step towards getting along with its neighbors if its stopped building a fence through palestinian land.. [/b][/quote]
    Ok....lets get something straight here. I am a moderate....but lets call a spade a spade...

In the 1947 or 1948 war with the newly minted Israel county, the arab countries asked all non jews to leave so that when the Jews get killed they wont accidentally kill arabs. The Jews asked the arabs to stay...about 500 K did. Israel was attacked by Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon and Syria...and won.

Egypt, Syria and Jordan attacked again...Israel gained the west bank and gaza and the SINAI penninsula....

Israel gave back the Sinai for peace with Egypt however....EGYPT DID NOT WANT THE GAZA STRIP BECAUSE OF THE # OF PALESTINIANS THERE...JORDAN DID NOT WANT THE WEST BANK BACK BECAUSE OF THE # OF PALESTINIANS THERE. LEBANON WILL NOT ALLOW ANY PALESTINIAN REFUGEE TO BECOME A CITIZEN...

Now, if the arabs care about these people...why not allow them full citizenship rights....these people are in a national morass because no country wants them. This is why the pali's do not want to give up the right of return.

Now, the arabs who stayed became israeli citizens and those that left are stuck as refugees without a country.

I say, allow these people to at least become citizens of the countries where they are in and allow a palestinian state without the right of return...

LL

[quote][i]Originally posted by latinlawyer+May 10 2004, 04:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (latinlawyer @ May 10 2004, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bman[/i]@May 10 2004, 04:19 PM
    [b] Isreal could take a big step towards getting along with its neighbors if its stopped building a fence through palestinian land.. [/b][/quote]
    Ok....lets get something straight here. I am a moderate....but lets call a spade a spade...

In the 1947 or 1948 war with the newly minted Israel county, the arab countries asked all non jews to leave so that when the Jews get killed they wont accidentally kill arabs. The Jews asked the arabs to stay...about 500 K did. Israel was attacked by Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon and Syria...and won.

Egypt, Syria and Jordan attacked again...Israel gained the west bank and gaza and the SINAI penninsula....

Israel gave back the Sinai for peace with Egypt however....EGYPT DID NOT WANT THE GAZA STRIP BECAUSE OF THE # OF PALESTINIANS THERE...JORDAN DID NOT WANT THE WEST BANK BACK BECAUSE OF THE # OF PALESTINIANS THERE. LEBANON WILL NOT ALLOW ANY PALESTINIAN REFUGEE TO BECOME A CITIZEN...

Now, if the arabs care about these people...why not allow them full citizenship rights....these people are in a national morass because no country wants them. This is why the pali&#39;s do not want to give up the right of return.

Now, the arabs who stayed became israeli citizens and those that left are stuck as refugees without a country.

I say, allow these people to at least become citizens of the countries where they are in and allow a palestinian state without the right of return...

LL [/b][/quote]
    -LL

This post just made my day. Its really the first time I have seen that argument laid out so clearly and truthfully. You have done your research. Kudos