Thread: Is the War justified?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not trying to start an argument about whether there are WMD or if Saddam is linked to Al-Qaeda. I believe they are but the point of this thread is not to argue that. I just wanted to know if these if's are true, do the anti-war people feel this war is still worth fighting??

If we do find WMD...
    If Saddam is tied in with Al-Qaeda...
    The Majority of Iraqi's are happy we are there...
    A democracy is established and ends up working in Iraq...

Again, this thread is not about whether these are going to happen or not, because everyone argues about them anyway. If all these or some of these turn out to be true, do you guys feel the war was worth fighting?>

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    any one of those reasons would go a long way in changing my opinion, along with 5evers lenghtly response to my question on another thread which is well worth anyone on this board reading.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it will take decades before the war will be really justified... that's how long it will take to rehabilitate the Iraqi people to the point that democracy could even begin to flourish...

in the meantime it's a war that has no justification...

we invaded and occupied a foreign country for basically no reason.

it's almost definate that war inflamed the region more than it was before.

frankly there are many places with worse WMD and worse human's rights violations and no one cares.

justified? we need the oil so yeah i guess the war will always be justified for the realists in the audience who don't happen to personally know anyone unfortunate enough to gave their life for this unfortunate affair.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 11 2004, 07:27 PM
    [b] it will take decades before the war will be really justified... that's how long it will take to rehabilitate the Iraqi people to the point that democracy could even begin to flourish...

in the meantime it's a war that has no justification...

we invaded and occupied a foreign country for basically no reason.

it's almost definate that war inflamed the region more than it was before.

frankly there are many places with worse WMD and worse human's rights violations and no one cares.

justified? we need the oil so yeah i guess the war will always be justified for the realists in the audience who don't happen to personally know anyone unfortunate enough to gave their life for this unfortunate affair. [/b][/quote]
    I Agree Bit. In the long-term, many things can certainly change, but right now there is absolutely no justification for this war. The only thing people seem to say in justifying the invasion is is "9/11" but there really is no connection. As for the horrific death aof Nick berg and the thousands and thousands of lives lost, both Iraqi and U.S., this should surprise nobody. This is what war is and why it is such an awful thing and why it should only be used as a last resort. This is why, despite being a Rebulican, there i no way in hel I will vote to re-elect George Bush. Guys....he screwed up royally on this one and we will be paying for it for a while.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Bush and his cronies rushed to war...They had their own agenda that was years in the making..
    it's 2004! Civilized country do NOT invade and occupy other countrys unless there is absolutely no other choice..

The inspectors werte ther (finding nothing)..
    the world was was pressuring Saddam
    There WAS NO evidence that Saddam was behind 9-11...
    And Saddam hadn't made an aggressive move in a decade!

This war was/is an atrocity and an abuse of power..I belive that Dick Cheney (one of the cheif architects of this war) belongs in Jail..
    This corrupt unelected leader was pushinmg for saddam's ouster for years..
    Let's not forget that while ceo of Halliburton in the 90's Cheny made a fortune off of illegal dealings with Iraq and Iran...

Iraq was about to give 70% off its oil contracts to France and Russia..The oil lobby and oil services was outraged and about to lose out on iraqui billions..
    Now look whose in control of iraqui oil..Halliburton and it's offshoots!
    THis war was nothing more than a burglary...
    If you think that people like cheney are patriots you are nuts..The main supporters of him are the same people who would outsource a US Job to India just to save a buck...

why was a 48 hour dealine given..b/c they knew Saddam would never leave...And time was running out...The troops were there and rearing to go..inspectors were finding nothing! It was time to act! IT was CRiminal..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 12 2004, 12:27 PM
    [b] George Bush and his cronies rushed to war...They had their own agenda that was years in the making..
    it's 2004! Civilized country do NOT invade and occupy other countrys unless there is absolutely no other choice..
    [/b][/quote]
    This is such an important point. Why not take a tougher stance with the inspections/inspectiors and Sadaam? Was an invasion/occupation really necessary, given the intelligence/evidence we actually had. or should I say, didn't have? I actually supported the decision to go to war last year b/c like a naieve fool, I believed what my president, vice president and cabinet secretaries were telling us. What an idiot I was!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they rushed to war bc with each passing day of finding NOTHING they were losing their cause..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has answered my simple question, however.

I am not asking whether it currently is justified, but if the "ifs" I proposed become true, would the war then be justified?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 12 2004, 12:59 PM
    [b] Nobody has answered my simple question, however.

I am not asking whether it currently is justified, but if the "ifs" I proposed become true, would the war then be justified? [/b][/quote]
    Yes

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 11 2004, 10:53 PM
    [b] I am not trying to start an argument about whether there are WMD or if Saddam is linked to Al-Qaeda. I believe they are but the point of this thread is not to argue that. I just wanted to know if these if's are true, do the anti-war people feel this war is still worth fighting??

If we do find WMD...
    If Saddam is tied in with Al-Qaeda...
    The Majority of Iraqi's are happy we are there...
    A democracy is established and ends up working in Iraq...

Again, this thread is not about whether these are going to happen or not, because everyone argues about them anyway. If all these or some of these turn out to be true, do you guys feel the war was worth fighting?> [/b][/quote]
    ABSOLUTELY! If none of those thins happen, ABSOLUTELY anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 12 2004, 12:59 PM
    [b] Nobody has answered my simple question, however.

I am not asking whether it currently is justified, but if the "ifs" I proposed become true, would the war then be justified? [/b][/quote]
    Brodyman i answered your question

it will take decades to see if the "if's" bear out -

so far we are 0-4, the only one i can realisitcally imagine coming true is the last one, but like i said that will take decades...