Thread: that lovable dick cheney

Also forgotten is that story about how Cheney's Halliburton did business with Saddam. According to the Washington Post, "Halliburton held stakes in two firms that signed contracts to sell more than $73 million in oil production equipment and spare parts to Iraq while Cheney was chairman and chief executive officer."

Cheney's Conflict of Interest
    However, of all the administration members with potential conflicts of interest, none seems more troubling than Vice President Dick Cheney. Cheney is former CEO of Halliburton, an oil-services company that also provides construction and military support services - a triple-header of wartime spoils.

A few weeks ago, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers awarded a no-bid contract to extinguish oil well fires in Iraq to Kellogg Brown and Root (KBR), a subsidiary of Halliburton. The contract was granted under a January Bush administration waiver that, according to the Washington Post, allowed "government agencies to handpick companies for Iraqi reconstruction projects."

The contract, which was not announced until more than two weeks after it was awarded, was open-ended, with no time limits and no dollar limits. It was also a "cost-plus" contract, meaning that the company is guaranteed to recover costs and then make a guaranteed profit on top of that. Its value is estimated at tens of millions of dollars.

This is not the first buck that Cheney's former company has made off military conflict and likely won't be the last. KBR currently has thousands of military support personnel on the ground in Kuwait and Turkey as part of a multi-year contract worth close to a billion dollars. The engineering subsidiary was also one of a select few firms invited to bid on an initial $900 million USAID contract for rebuilding post-war Iraq. Though it didn't get that job, Halliburton says it is still in the running for subcontracts and there will likely be plenty more opportunities. The American Academy of Sciences estimates the rebuilding Iraq will cost between $30 and $105 billion dollars. At a recent investor conference call, Halliburton reported a 30% increase in year-over-year revenues, to $1.6 billion, for KBR.

The Revolving Door Between Big Business and Government
    Cheney, who served as CEO from 1995 to 2000, continues to receive as much as $1 million a year in deferred compensation as Halliburton executives enjoy a seat at the table during Administration discussions over how to handle post-war oil production in Iraq.

The Cheney-Halliburton story is the classic military-industrial revolving door tale. As Secretary of Defense under Bush I, Cheney paid Brown and Root services (now Kellogg Brown and Root) $3.9 million to report on how private companies could help the U.S. Army as Cheney cut hundreds of thousands of Army jobs. Then Brown and Root won a five-year contract to provide logistics for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers all over the globe. In 1995, Cheney became CEO and Halliburton jumped from 73rd to 18th on the Pentagon's list of top contractors, benefiting from at least $3.8 billion in federal contracts and taxpayer-insured loans, according to the Center for Public Integrity.

cmon Bman obviously Cheney won&#39;t allow his connections guide his impartial opinion on national policy :blink: :blink: :ph34r: <_< <_<

Hall Of Fame
    "Bman, you&#39;re great&#33;"

"No, Bitonti...YOU&#39;RE great&#33;"

"Ok, we&#39;re [b]both[/b] great&#33;"

"Hey, have you read any new anti-Bush articles?"

"Sure, I&#39;ve started 17 threads in the past hour, posting each of them individually."

"Well, if it has the word Halliburton in it, it HAS to be true."

"I know. Gosh, can you believe people [i]still[/i] don&#39;t realize that Cheney eats babies?"

"People just aren&#39;t as smart as us, buddy. It&#39;s such a burden to go through life being right about everything...."

"Tell me about it. Like, take yesterday for example: I was talking to some ditto-head, God-head, anti-woman chicken-hawk about how much like a chimp Bush looked. He said something like &#39;what does that have to do with anything&#39; but he DIDN&#39;T DENY IT&#33;"

"They never deny anything. They know Bush looks like a chimp and they know he lied about it and they just don&#39;t care."

"Why is their so much suffering in the world?"

"I wish I knew, dude, I wish I knew. All I know is that before they got captured by terrorists, those Halliburton truck drivers in Iraq were living the good life&#33;"

Hall Of Fame
    You go on and keep believe this war is about oil...I stick by what Deniis Miller said, "If you believe this war is about oil, then you should sue your school system for letting you slip through the cracks."

And also, "5ever, you&#39;re great&#33;"

then what&#39;s it about&#33;
    why was it planned for years prior to 9-11...

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 12 2004, 12:29 PM
    [b] then what&#39;s it about&#33;
    why was it planned for years prior to 9-11... [/b][/quote]
    It wasnt planned out...just because Chaney wanted to get involved means sht in 1998 mean sht. There really is no point in me going to why we are in the war right now because I have talked about it and you continually try to deny it with no facts. I have showed articles and such and you continually are locked on to your belief this is about oil.

So whatever argument I make will do no good in your eyes, so I would rather not waste my time trying to convince you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 12 2004, 12:49 PM
    [b] Also forgotten is that [/b][/quote]
    we once sided with Stalin 60 years ago to overcome a greater evil......