Thread: Warfish's Fishing Trip

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn fine weather on the shore the last two days! Gorgeous, not too hot, and cool at night (well, kinda cold actually, LOL!)

But a long awaited taste of Salt air and Saltwater (inshore) fishing! Being a Northern Virginian, salt air is not exactly as close as it was when I lived on Long Island, but 3 hours isn't too long to get away from it all.

Well, it's still early in the year, so the bite was definitly weak most of the trip. My brother and I fished off a Pier, just inside the OC inlet (between the open Atlantic, and the Bay behind Ocean City MD/Fenwick DE.

After 9 hours of fishing for Flounder, the catch was NOT spectacular by any stretch. I had goteen three Skates (those little Ray-like things) and a few Horseshoe Crabs and my poor Brother was completely skunked (although he did get one Shad right before we left to get dinner).

But Nirvana was still to be found. In prepping for the trip, we heard that the Hickory Shad were running at OC at this time, so we switched tactics (and locations) to fish the outgoing tide at the OC inlet Seawall.

And Finally, some Fish satisfaction! In one hour, my brother and I collected 35 Hickory Shad, decent little fighters weigting in at between 1 and 2.5 pounds (estimate). Pretty fish, and lots of fun, they bit on almost every cast! Tons of fun, and seemingly overlooked by most OC residents, my brother and I loved it!

Well, back to the real world now.......but what fun those Shad were!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Shad always put up a good fight. I always enjoy the shad run up the delaware. I wish the salt water was closer for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 13 2004, 05:23 PM
    [b] Damn fine weather on the shore the last two days! Gorgeous, not too hot, and cool at night (well, kinda cold actually, LOL!)

But a long awaited taste of Salt air and Saltwater (inshore) fishing! Being a Northern Virginian, salt air is not exactly as close as it was when I lived on Long Island, but 3 hours isn't too long to get away from it all.

Well, it's still early in the year, so the bite was definitly weak most of the trip. My brother and I fished off a Pier, just inside the OC inlet (between the open Atlantic, and the Bay behind Ocean City MD/Fenwick DE.

After 9 hours of fishing for Flounder, the catch was NOT spectacular by any stretch. I had goteen three Skates (those little Ray-like things) and a few Horseshoe Crabs and my poor Brother was completely skunked (although he did get one Shad right before we left to get dinner).

But Nirvana was still to be found. In prepping for the trip, we heard that the Hickory Shad were running at OC at this time, so we switched tactics (and locations) to fish the outgoing tide at the OC inlet Seawall.

And Finally, some Fish satisfaction! In one hour, my brother and I collected 35 Hickory Shad, decent little fighters weigting in at between 1 and 2.5 pounds (estimate). Pretty fish, and lots of fun, they bit on almost every cast! Tons of fun, and seemingly overlooked by most OC residents, my brother and I loved it!

Well, back to the real world now.......but what fun those Shad were! [/b][/quote]
    Are they any good to eat?