Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your "Jets Habit"

Banned
    my girlfriend wasn't a big fan of sports...but she does watch the games with me and shows interest all the time...

btw...whoever was saying all that crap about everyone being quiet during games and unplugging the phone...

thats what i do...no one is allowed to talk about anything but the game if the jets are on and if you are making too much noise you better get out of the room or go away...i never watch jets games at bars or anything...i don't know how anyone could...it would be too damn annoying. i only go to one game a year because actually...i would rather sit at home in silence and watch it...

All League
    My significant other, whoever that may end up being, has no choice but to live with my ways... :lol: otherwise shes out the door!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Mrs. 13 is a huge Jetfan, in fact she is my traveling buddy to at least 3 road trips a year.
    Not long ago she told me she was mad at me for getting into the Jets so deeply..now she gets as depressed as I do after a loss

when my wife and i met she knew nothing of my obsession with the jets but she witnessed one of my game tirades when the jets lost a game in 1997. somehow she stayed with me and enjoyed every game with me during the 98 season - trips to bars since we live in florida. If they are not on tv we go to beef o brady's and watch with the two little ones - all family events are planned around jets games. she is awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PENJET[/i]@May 15 2004, 07:52 AM
    [b] I have to say my wife an mother- in-law (yes mother-in-law) border on
    awesome! They know that Sunday at 1 o'clock I'll be in front of the big screen
    with my brother and friends. And most importantly they know that nothing
    supersedes that! And for my birthday a few weeks ago, my wife bought me a Jets
    (callaway) golf bag with Jets headcovers! Her mother bought me a Pennington jersey
    and the latest Jets hat. Am I spoiled or what! Don't let anyone tell you its all down hill
    after 40! It just keeps getting better!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/quote]
    No significant other to worry about. :D

All League
    When my wife and I first started dating she was more of a 49er fan than anything, albeit not a huge one. I don't remember if it was the '90 or '91 season when we had our first little adverse football game reaction to each other. Boomer threw a horrible interception as we were driving late in the game, and I jump up off the couch and scream "[b]NOOOO! YOU PIECE OF s**t!!![/b]" as I threw the pillow from the couch in the general direction of the TV. The look on her face was pretty disgusted.

Over the years though, she's stopped caring a lick about the 49ers - perhaps Garcia's not as cute as Joe, or perhaps more gay or something - and now she's a die-hard like her hubby. The whole family puts on their green and white on Sundays, she goes to 1-2 games with me every year, and she gets mad when the screw up, though not as mad as me. I only stumbled across you guys and 16H last year, so I can't wait to bring her this year. Unfortunately it won't be until game 2 this year, Oct. 10. On opening day we'll be flying home from Europe after 8 nights in Paris and Rome for our 10th anniversary. Game will be taped, though, and we'll be in strict media blackout mode until we get home - then we'll put our shirts on, fire up the basement, and pretend it's 1PM. Actually, before the schedule came out I had her agreeing to go directly from the airport to the game if it was a 4PM kickoff. Woulda' been pretty crazy, Oh Well.

As for my basement, I'm about 80% where I want to be - 16 foot bar at one end, fridge recessed into the wall behind the bar, poker table in front of the bar, and my wife bumped the room from about 50% done to it's current 80% this time last year when she got me the 57inch wide screen hi-def TV for Father's Day. As soon as we get our digital camera I'll post some pix - I love showing it off. All in all, I'd say my wife [color=green][b]rocks[/b][/color] when it comes to supporting my heroin-like Jets addiction.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My wife tolerates my Jets obsession, but like a lot of other "football widows", she can't for the life of her understand any of it. Her view of the game is that for 10 seconds or so at a time, a bunch of gargantuan beings in body armor run into each other for no apparent reason. She has often asked me why 3 or 4 players are necessary to tackle the one ball carrier. And she thinks some of the referee's penalty signals are hilarious. Her favorites are the ones for unsportsmanlike conduct and illegal forward pass (past the line of scrimmage). Oh yeah, she also thinks that anyone who would willingly sit on a hard seat for 3 hours in sub-freezing weather to watch any of this is out of their mind.

Anyway, when we met in 1986 I brought it up on our first date that I was a Jets and Mets fanatic. To this day, she remembers that and readily admits that she was forewarned. But she is very good-natured about it, and fully accepts that on game day I'm on Jets planet and will return to her later that evening.

Undrafted Free Agent
    My wife is a Bills fan, so a couple weeks during the season it gets a little tense around the house. We make some interesting wagers (wink) on Jets/Bills games.

Veteran
    I must say that whenever a woman finds herself contributing or think she knows it all then it becomes a problem. My wife hated football until one day I had sit down and watch a jets game. all of a sudden she falls in love with penny boy. that is the good part. now the bad part is I just have the move to the bedroom to watch the game because she gets so emotional over the game, arguing why on third and long or whatever situation the jets are in coach did not call this play.

Ooooly!! carrambaaa she is losing it

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Support? Probably not.

Tolerate? Definitely.

[quote][i]Originally posted by B-B-B Bennie[/i]@May 17 2004, 11:22 AM
    [b] My wife is a Bills fan, so a couple weeks during the season it gets a little tense around the house. We make some interesting wagers (wink) on Jets/Bills games. [/b][/quote]
    And I thought I had it bad. Bills eh? Yikes.

BZ

[quote][i]Originally posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life[/i]@May 17 2004, 11:41 AM
    [b] I must say that whenever a woman finds herself contributing or think she knows it all then it becomes a problem. My wife hated football until one day I had sit down and watch a jets game. all of a sudden she falls in love with penny boy. that is the good part. now the bad part is I just have the move to the bedroom to watch the game because she gets so emotional over the game, arguing why on third and long or whatever situation the jets are in coach did not call this play.

Ooooly!! carrambaaa she is losing it [/b][/quote]
    My favorite story, is when I was at the Jets vrs Packers last game of the season two years ago (2002 season). I was tailgaiting with some friends (Packers friends) and trying to hear the outcome of the Dolphins/Pats game (we all know what happened).

Anyway, there I am and I get a call from my sobing wife (Fiance at the time). She can barely speak she is so upset. I am thinking someone in the family died, or something else horrible. She calls down enough to tell me that "he is hurt".

When I ask who "he" is.... still sobbing she cries out "JASON TAYLOR!!!"

He was knocked out and my Wife was just hysterical with tears. Sobing, the whole thing.

To say that she gets into the games is a huge understatement.

BZ

my wife knew before we were married of my sports obsessions (jets, mets, knicks) and has on many occasions come along to different venues. it wasn't until the kids came along and i then got season tickets to BOTH the jets and the knicks did she need to tolerate it more. i have to say though she is AWESOME about the jets...she knows on home game days i pretty much leave the house between 8 and 9 and get home between 8 and 9 (give or take for the 4pm games). besides, she knows when my boys are old enough, they'll be with me and she'll get the whole day do herself.

Who the hell cares what them b*****s think. When mine gets a little uppity, I like to slap her around a bit. She settles down after that.

Just kidding, my wife tolerates me during football season. The ***** is, when it's off season, she works me like a dog on the weekends. I can't blame her because during the season she knows nothing (and I mean NOTHING) will get done.

Oh yeah...she has no interest in sports, period.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

I will have NO problem with my future significant other since he owns the Jets and I'll be right by his side at every game, win or lose. :lol: :lol:

I'm also going to work on more player appearances during the off season to give the fans a chance to meet, greet and get autographs from all their favorite players. ;)

Good luck. Rumor has it that Woody is gay and I was thinking about making a run for it myself.

All Pro
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    my wife does not understand the game so she does not like it, I have tried to sit with and explain to her on why these men chase each other hit each other, and play with an odd shaped ball. But she still does not like it...

tolerate my obsession with the JETS well sought of, first it was at the bar watching the games then it was directv, then the road trips to NY, then the NFL Network... and last but not least

the Pics with GGG and Bren oh boy !!! at least I can blame on my brother :lol: no honey that's not me that's my brother (did not work)
    no really my wife is very understanding and a secure lady

she lets me enjoy my Football and my roadtrips to the Meadowlands..

THANK GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rican, hope you can make it to a few games in the So.Fla club this year. Haven't seen you in a while.

All Pro
    Margate Fl soon to be Ocala FL by way of Da Bronx
    yes I must do that... looking foward to the game in Oct lets just hope the fins ticket office honors our request....

see you guys at the Bar as well..

rican....

All Pro
    My girlfriend of 3 years can't stand sports. Do I keep on watching? HELL YES!!! :D