Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMARTY JONES!!!!!

Bugg, let me be clear

There is only one [b]Secretariat[/b] and there will never be another ... he is the standard by which all others are measured

No comparison here ... I was simply reminded of [b]BIG RED[/b] by the sheer level in which this horse obliterated the field at the Preakness

Having said that, if this is indeed a superhorse ... if he joins that exclusive club in three weeks and remains unbeaten in the process ... outside of [b]Secretariat[/b] and [b]Man'O'War[/b], this horse will belong smackdab in the middle of the conversation with the best of the rest

Some say the top of that list should also include the [b]Citation[/b] ... I don't claim to know if this is true, nor do I dispute the notion ... but this much I do know, there will be a very short list in the long history of horse racing before you need to include the name of [b]Smarty Jones[/b] in the conversation

Of course this is "IF" he clinches the TC in three weeks ... and I wouldn't bet against this beast with monopoly money

I, for one cannot put Smarty Jones in the same stable as Secretariet...first off, the field for Secretariet was a lot better...does everyone remember a horse called Sham? Where is Smarty Jones' Sham?

It's not too difficult to compare horses...a clock is a clock. Smarty Jones...1:55.59. Secretariet...1:54 2/5.

Lastly, he (Smarty Jones) should win the Belmont with this nag of a field. If he doesn't, he just becomes another horse who won the first two legs. Always look at the field of horses first and then the clock...speaks a ton about the horse who won!

Hall Of Fame
    Fair point. But Smarty's jockey was getting up as they crossed the finish line and he wasn't whipping him. Who's to say that if he was pushed by a stronger field he doesn't get down to around Secretariat's time?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Hermanator[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:26 AM
    [b]I, for one cannot put Smarty Jones in the same stable as Secretariet...first off, the field for Secretariet was a lot better...does everyone remember a horse called Sham? Where is Smarty Jones' Sham?

It's not too difficult to compare horses...a clock is a clock. Smarty Jones...1:55.59. Secretariet...1:54 2/5.

Lastly, he (Smarty Jones) should win the Belmont with this nag of a field. If he doesn't, he just becomes another horse who won the first two legs. Always look at the field of horses first and then the clock...speaks a ton about the horse who won![/b][/quote]
    You saved me from saying it Herm!! There is no Alydar
    to challange a Affirmed this year either.. ;)

[img]http://www.bugboys.com/alyaffbelmont.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Hermanator[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:26 AM
    [b] I, for one cannot put Smarty Jones in the same stable as Secretariet...first off, the field for Secretariet was a lot better...does everyone remember a horse called Sham? Where is Smarty Jones' Sham?

Lastly, he (Smarty Jones) should win the Belmont with this nag of a field. If he doesn't, he just becomes another horse who won the first two legs. Always look at the field of horses first and then the clock...speaks a ton about the horse who won! [/b][/quote]
    True, but as with human athletes, there are also intangibles, it is not just the stopwatch. I don't know what time Gale Sayers ran the 40 in, all I know is he always ran faster than the guy who was chasing him. I think this horse does the same thing. There is also intimidation. Sham was a great horse, but in that 73 Belmont his time could not have been very good finishing 31 lengths behind. So did Secretartiat beat a bad field that day? No, he took the heart out of a good field. I think Smarty is similar. He hates to lose and if he wins the Belmont and retires, he will have never known defeat. That is a superhorse. There will never be another Secretariat, but this does have some similarites.

[quote][i]Originally posted by dmaynard+May 16 2004, 09:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (dmaynard @ May 16 2004, 09:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Hermanator[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:26 AM
    [b] I, for one cannot put Smarty Jones in the same stable as Secretariet...first off, the field for Secretariet was a lot better...does everyone remember a horse called Sham? Where is Smarty Jones&#39; Sham?

It&#39;s not too difficult to compare horses...a clock is a clock. Smarty Jones...1:55.59. Secretariet...1:54 2/5.

Lastly, he (Smarty Jones) should win the Belmont with this nag of a field. If he doesn&#39;t, he just becomes another horse who won the first two legs. Always look at the field of horses first and then the clock...speaks a ton about the horse who won&#33; [/b][/quote]
    True, but as with human athletes, there are also intangibles, it is not just the stopwatch. I don&#39;t know what time Gale Sayers ran the 40 in, all I know is he always ran faster than the guy who was chasing him. I think this horse does the same thing. There is also intimidation. Sham was a great horse, but in that 73 Belmont his time could not have been very good finishing 31 lengths behind. So did Secretartiat beat a bad field that day? No, he took the heart out of a good field. I think Smarty is similar. He hates to lose and if he wins the Belmont and retires, he will have never known defeat. That is a superhorse. There will never be another Secretariat, but this does have some similarites. [/b][/quote]
    Fair points, but you have to remember, in that &#39;73 Belmont race, Sham, was not the same horse that challenged Secretariet in the previous two legs.

Whether Secretariet wore him down physically or just ripped his heart open, Sham never raced again after the Belmont.

Last one for me, and we can return to football for the next 3 weeks. This is a post I found on one of the racing boards I follow. I don&#39;t put Smarty in Secretariat&#39;s class. Not now, not ever (probably). I do put him in Seattle Slew&#39;s class, though. I thought this missive was a perfect tongue-in-cheek reply to Smarty doubters: From Thoroughbredtimes.com, posted by a guy named Stormy.

[i]This has to be the luckiest horse in history....for the eighth consecutive race, the other horses (most of whom are obviously far superior) ran slower than Smarty Jones and he remains undefeated&#33;&#33; To top it off, he always gets a track he likes. It&#39;s always, "Fast", "Sloppy" or "Muddy"....but never "Good&#33;" Smarty Jones must&#39;ve gone to church this morning to ensure the track wasn&#39;t rated "Good." We all know that when he finally gets a Good track, he&#39;ll lose for sure. Why is that these other horses always run slower than he does? Inconceivable&#33;&#33; It&#39;s my contention that if his opposition ran faster than he did, he would almost certainly lose. And what about the weather? The hot temp obviously affected the other horses a lot more than Smarty. In fact, I think it actually helped him - it was as though he was the only one that liked the heat&#33; If it had been a mild 72 or so, he would&#39;ve been no better than 5th or 6th.

Well whatever, he&#39;s obviously hit his distance limitation....he&#39;ll never go 1 1/2 miles. That will definitely be his undoing. And, if by chance, he does win at 1 1/2, he&#39;ll never go 1 3/4 or 2 miles. Although, knowing him, he&#39;d probably get a very lucky trip at 2 miles...but 5 miles would be the absolute limit, especially if the track is rated something other than Fast, Muddy or Sloppy. No doubt. I&#39;m not sure what&#39;s wrong with those that can&#39;t see his limitations....it&#39;s so obvious. Some people actually think this horse is good. What a joke.
    P.S. See you all at the Belmont for history...I can&#39;t wait.[/i]

All League
    I am here to admit I eat crow on how good Smarty Jones really has shown and for disrespect for Elliot the jockey. This horse has shown he is indeed special-you can debate to compare to other super horses after the Belmont-it will be interesting to see who will actually try to challenge him there.
    Smarty Jones has the will and the desire that sadly is lacking in most of the pro athletes today. I go on record to root for him all the way at the Belmont. Also good call all the way G J & H with this one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Smarty proved to be more than just a mudder from Philly Park. I&#39;d like to think that, at some point, we&#39;ll see a good horse present a challenge to him. Nick Zito unveiled a nice colt on the Preakness undercard in the Sir Barton Stakes.

I&#39;ve seen nothing from Elliott, however, that suggests he&#39;s anything better than just an average jockey from a bad track. On friday, he had the best horse in one race in Stephan&#39;s Angel and blew the start. It cost him the win, and yours truly the 7-1 payoff.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:04 PM
    [b] Smarty proved to be more than just a mudder from Philly Park. I&#39;d like to think that, at some point, we&#39;ll see a good horse present a challenge to him. Nick Zito unveiled a nice colt on the Preakness undercard in the Sir Barton Stakes.

I&#39;ve seen nothing from Elliott, however, that suggests he&#39;s anything better than just an average jockey from a bad track. On friday, he had the best horse in one race in Stephan&#39;s Angel and blew the start. It cost him the win, and yours truly the 7-1 payoff. [/b][/quote]
    And to top it all off, The Nets blew it at home tonight to keep the damn Pistons alive&#33;&#33;&#33; Angry