Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: I`VE LOST ALL RESPECT FOR .......

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cromwell, CT
    Posts
    951
    I hate basketball. Everyone is overpaid. Same goes with all sports, but Basketball is the worst IMO.

    So, here is what I propose.

    Why can't the US have a football dream team? Do you know how much ass we would kick? I know the other countries wouldn't stand a chance. And maybe, just maybe, they would all agree to play. Maybe it would be in place of the pro bowl for that year. Whatever. I haven't thought this through, and it's quite obvious. I just don't care about pro basketball AT ALL. :)

  2. #22
    Let me add this, as the money aspect has come up in regards to the Dream Team: Does anybody here remember all the marketing deals NBA players got during and immediately after the 1992 Olympics?

    It seemed, that anywhere and everywhere you went, there was something there to remind you of that "Dream Team".

    I think as the years went on, it seems other Dream Teams lost their luster and marketing appeal.

    Right there, may be the answer to why so many NBA players shun the Olymics: Since today's players gain so little in added revenue (marketing wise) by playing in the Olympics, most totaly shun the experience

  3. #23
    Security and or a potential career hurting injury I can understand. Any other reason is ludacris.[quote][b]There was only one Dream Team... the 1992 team that beat every team it played by 20+... that included a good Croatia team by 55 points combined in their 2 meetings. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Clyde the Glide, Karl Malone, Stockton, Barkley... the best collection of basketball players ever on one floor... calling the two teams after that Dream Team II and DT III is a JOKE.[/b][/quote]...And don&#39;t you dare leave out Patrick Ewing&#33;&#33;&#33; Acknowledge this Knick and Dream Team player please&#33;&#33;&#33; Your cooperation is greatly appreciated... <_<

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,227
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Smizzy+May 16 2004, 08:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Smizzy @ May 16 2004, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -joiseyjet@May 16 2004, 08:06 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--joiseyjet[/i]@May 16 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] Jason Kidd & the other loser athletes, who the USA has made stinking rich and has put them and their familys in a situation to never want for anything for playing a game and all their country asked them to do in return is represent it in them olympics and help bring home the GOLD and jason and other players have turned down this HONOR to represent the USA in the olympics in ATHENS ,THIS IS AN ABSOULUTE DISGRACE..... cause if this countrys values weren`t so screwed up in the first place where we pay our athletes millions, these guys would be working at McDonalds for minimum wage.... All the BS we heard from athletes mouths about how great (TILLMEN ) was ( and he was ,)but when in comes time to step up they PU&&EY out ,Does anyone believe the security will be tighter anywhere in the world at the time of the OLYMPICS ,No of course not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; as is there just a good of chance or better of something happening here or some place else, you bet there is cause no place else will they be spending 1 billion dollars on security for 1 specific area&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; so SHAME ON YOU JASON & ALL YOU OTHER ATHLETES FOR NOT GIVING BACK TO THE COUNTRY THAT HAS GIVEN YOU SO MUCH&#33;&#33;&#33; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    Trying reading the first post again SMIZZY I mentioned J.K. AND THE OTHER LOSER ATHLETES , I`m not just mad at J.K. he`s the one who I saw actually speak on not going though (I am a NETS fan ) but disgusted at the fact that "ANY USA ATHLETE" would refuse to represent our country if asked to ,after this country has made them so much money [/b][/quote]
    Doesn&#39;t matter who you&#39;re mad at....


    You only name one athlete in you post....and you name him Twice....J.Kidd.

    Nowhere in that post do i see the name of any other athlete.

    Maybe you should read your post again.

    Did Kidd play on the last national team? [/b][/quote]
    Again SMIZZY as I wrote HE WAS THE ONE I SAW THE DIRECT QUOTE FROM and I don`t care what theseguys have or havenot done in the past at this time like this we need to show stengh and unity where ever possible ,if you remember the 1980 olympics and the war and hostage crisis on of the best memories the soldirs comming bad had was hearing how we won the gold in hockey especially beating the russians in the semi`s ,it picked them right up , these guys refuseing to play for their country is an absoulute discrace....

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    St. Auggie, FL
    Posts
    1,106
    I agree with joiseyjet.......... It should be considered an HONOR & a priviledge to try and win gold for your country in the Olympics.

  6. #26
    I initially was of the opinion that you should do your part for the country. But some of these players will be playing all year, or close to it.
    I am sure that their team management frowns on their playing if they are even a little hurt. Why would Rod Thorn want to have a banged up Jason Kidd for the rest of next year, after he spent all that money on him last year.
    and on the other hand, K-MArt will be without a contract after the summer( I believe, don&#39;t quote me). So why risk a career ending injury in the olympics this year?

  7. #27
    DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Guest
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@May 16 2004, 02:16 PM
    [b] Jason Kidd & the other loser athletes, who the USA has made stinking rich and has put them and their familys in a situation to never want for anything for playing a game and all their country asked them to do in return is represent it in them olympics and help bring home the GOLD and jason and other players have turned down this HONOR to represent the USA in the olympics in ATHENS ,THIS IS AN ABSOULUTE DISGRACE..... cause if this countrys values weren`t so screwed up in the first place where we pay our athletes millions, these guys would be working at McDonalds for minimum wage.... All the BS we heard from athletes mouths about how great (TILLMEN ) was ( and he was ,)but when in comes time to step up they PU&&EY out ,Does anyone believe the security will be tighter anywhere in the world at the time of the OLYMPICS ,No of course not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; as is there just a good of chance or better of something happening here or some place else, you bet there is cause no place else will they be spending 1 billion dollars on security for 1 specific area&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; so SHAME ON YOU JASON & ALL YOU OTHER ATHLETES FOR NOT GIVING BACK TO THE COUNTRY THAT HAS GIVEN YOU SO MUCH&#33;&#33;&#33; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    oooh. Pretty touchy topic. To compare NBA athletes to Pat Tillman is ridiculous. Tillman was really a one of a kind. These NBA players are not soldiers, they&#39;re millionaires who play basketball for a living. I gotta say, with the risk of getting blasted, I don&#39;t blame them for not going. Why risk their lives if they don&#39;t have to?? They&#39;re NOT in the military.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    Two things-

    The Olympics aren&#39;t what they were even 20 years ago. Whether that&#39;s because of drugs or the end of the Cold War, who knows? But no one is marking their calendar to watch the Olympics any more. It&#39;s a NBC show, and not much more than that.

    And more importantly, the security arrangements in Greece are a total joke. Twice that we know about, the Olympics have been the scene of terrorism. Greece has done an awful job preparing the stadiums and facilities. Greece hasn&#39;t shown in the least that they understand the risks involved.

    Americans are being told not to wave the flag at medal ceromonies. We&#39;re telling the athletes beforehand that being an American is akin to having a target on your back. I can&#39;t fault any pro athlete that looks at this mess and takes a pass. It&#39;s not 1972. Which, in fact, is a time when 11 Israeli athletes lost their lives to terrorsim due to lax European security.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    [quote][b]I don&#39;t remember the 1972 Olympics, but I have kept hearing blowhards in media state over and over how it was travesty the USA lost the gold to Russia, with college players playing for the U.S.

    Fast foward to the year 2000, and you&#39;ve got a figure a united Russia would&#39;ve DESTROYED the Dream Team. After all, the U.S Dream Team almost lost to a country the size of Oregon (only about Three mill. population)[/b][/quote]

    The travesty was two fold.

    One, the USA was cheated out of the gold by the refs,.

    Two, yes the Russians were pros in the sense that the country always fielded a or teas.

    But there isn&#39;t a chance in hell that the Russian team could beat a "Dream Team", and by that I mean a Olypic team, not the second, third and fourth tier guys they send to the qualifying tournies that you are refering to.

    Keep in mind that the US teams don&#39;t put in the time and practice really is needed to be a "team", that they blow ohers out on talent only.

    As to motivation to go or not, keep in mind there have been players who after basically playing one full season of ball have suffered the following NBA season.

    And also keep in mind that their COUNTRY NEVER CALLED, THE NBA AND THE OLYMPIC COMMITEE DID. The same groups that will reap millions on the backs of those players, so lets not try and make this a pure act of patriotism or obligation to ones country.

  10. #30
    I can&#39;t believe you&#39;re gonna bash him for not playing in the Olympics given the certain circumstances. I wouldn&#39;t play either... First and foremost he is a father and a husband and his job is to provide for his family....if he doesn&#39;t want to go to athens because he fears for his life or injury.. I don&#39;t blame him or anyone one bit....as a knick fan I hope marbury doesn&#39;t go..the olympics aren&#39;t like they used to be it&#39;s all about &#036;&#036; The Olympic Committee is the biggest crook orginization around...I heard on ESPN radio today that Olympic Officials told US members not to wave the US flag because of fear of starting a riot...why even bother going....

  11. #31
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,663
    i admire those that want to go now more than ever (richard jefferson was interviewed friday night and said that since he chose not to fight for his country in the way pat tillman did, he was happy to have this opportunity to represent it in this way

    i also can&#39;t blame those sons, husbands, fathers, etc. who fear for their safety. if americans in greece have a target on their back, nba players, the highest profile american athletes by far, have a bigger target.

  12. #32
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:14 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t know...the security situation there is a mess. Terrorists have targeted the Olympics in that past. I don&#39;t know how you can blame him for begging off. Besides, the whole idea of the Olympics being a celebration of "amateurism" is dead. Since the end of the Cold War, it isn&#39;t the same. [/b][/quote]
    Bugg says it best here. "I don&#39;t know". You can look at it from both sides. On one hand, the unity of the US is a very important thing reguardless of how much money these guys make from the good ol&#39; US of A. On the other hand...these guys already have their fingers in the proverbial pot of gold. I mean they made it&#33; They are rich guys&#33; Why would you want to risk losing what you worked so hard for due to a security risk when the whole thing is a freaking joke anyway? I mean "dream team"? Give me a freakin&#39; break. The whole thing has turned into a fiasco since we changed the rules anyway. Answer me this...do you actually feel any sense of pride when we walk away with the gold in B-ball anymore? Not me.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,227
    One more question and I`M done with this ,Is there any other country on the face of this earth where people playing a game get payed millions of dollars for working a couple of months of the year ....The bottom line is that this country`s screwed up values give these "STARS"" MORE MONEY FOR 1 SEASON THAT MOST OF US WILL MAKE IN 3 LIFETIMES. i.mh.o. if you`ve gotten that much from this great country ,you should take the chance to bring home the GOLD for that country,The very thought of saying your affraid to go and play basketball there ,when we`ve got young men running towards tanks and machine guns without giving it a second thought ,is just mindboggeling...

  14. #34
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,663
    joisey, i think you&#39;re missing the big picture - one of the reasons pat tillman is held up as such a hero is that the thought of him risking giving up all that he had was so mindboggling. NOBODY would expect a pro athlete/multimillionaire to do that. that&#39;s what made that guy so amazing.

    would you expect fortune 500 CEO&#39;s to go start going to and doing business in areas that are considered high-risk? i doubt it, and you be pretty shocked and amazed if one or two did.

    like i said, i admire those who are particularly looking forward to going because of the situation, but i can&#39;t look down on someone who fears going. ultimately time will tell if their fears were correct.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@May 16 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] Jason Kidd & the other loser athletes, who the USA has made stinking rich and has put them and their familys in a situation to never want for anything for playing a game and all their country asked them to do in return is represent it in them olympics and help bring home the GOLD and jason and other players have turned down this HONOR to represent the USA in the olympics in ATHENS ,THIS IS AN ABSOULUTE DISGRACE..... cause if this countrys values weren`t so screwed up in the first place where we pay our athletes millions, these guys would be working at McDonalds for minimum wage.... All the BS we heard from athletes mouths about how great (TILLMEN ) was ( and he was ,)but when in comes time to step up they PU&&EY out ,Does anyone believe the security will be tighter anywhere in the world at the time of the OLYMPICS ,No of course not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; as is there just a good of chance or better of something happening here or some place else, you bet there is cause no place else will they be spending 1 billion dollars on security for 1 specific area&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; so SHAME ON YOU JASON & ALL YOU OTHER ATHLETES FOR NOT GIVING BACK TO THE COUNTRY THAT HAS GIVEN YOU SO MUCH&#33;&#33;&#33; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    while i agree with you about some athletes, keep in mind kidd has been pretty banged up the past few months.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MrSFJFC[/i]@May 16 2004, 08:29 PM
    [b] A lot of these players have it too easy and have been brainwashed with all the money they are getting paid. Sadly enough, they feel that they have a right to accept or reject, but the thing is they don&#39;t understand the meaning of the Olympics. I&#39;m sure other players would love to get an opportunity, like Kidd, and would definitely not turn down the offer. [/b][/quote]
    the meaning of the olympics is amateur athletes competing for gold. that notion is dead. the olympics are not the same. at least not for basketball and hockey.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,227
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired[/i]@May 17 2004, 05:21 PM
    [b] joisey, i think you&#39;re missing the big picture - one of the reasons pat tillman is held up as such a hero is that the thought of him risking giving up all that he had was so mindboggling. NOBODY would expect a pro athlete/multimillionaire to do that. that&#39;s what made that guy so amazing.

    would you expect fortune 500 CEO&#39;s to go start going to and doing business in areas that are considered high-risk? i doubt it, and you be pretty shocked and amazed if one or two did.

    like i said, i admire those who are particularly looking forward to going because of the situation, but i can&#39;t look down on someone who fears going. ultimately time will tell if their fears were correct. [/b][/quote]
    I don`t think i`m missing the big picture I,THINK everyone else is....the big picture is we have KIDS putting themselves in real harms way who have wives and kids to support and probobly left their partners with a couple of months salary at best to get by with and has gone months maybe years without actually seeing his loved ones ,Now we have JOE ATHLETE who`s made millions multiple times over ,living in a house you could land a plane in , has servents ,has a different car for everyday of the week for all his driving family members is living the life we`d all love to live for 1 day and all this country asks of him is to represent us so, the USA can raise their flag above the others and hear our national anthem play,and these athletes can`t be bothered ,even if they got hurt ,they all have insurance for that ,No way you can convince me this is anything other than outright wrong&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,458
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@May 17 2004, 04:56 PM
    [b] One more question and I`M done with this ,Is there any other country on the face of this earth where people playing a game get payed millions of dollars for working a couple of months of the year ....The bottom line is that this country`s screwed up values give these "STARS"" MORE MONEY FOR 1 SEASON THAT MOST OF US WILL MAKE IN 3 LIFETIMES. i.mh.o. if you`ve gotten that much from this great country ,you should take the chance to bring home the GOLD for that country,The very thought of saying your affraid to go and play basketball there ,when we`ve got young men running towards tanks and machine guns without giving it a second thought ,is just mindboggeling... [/b][/quote]
    there&#39;s some pretty rich soccer players in europe.....

  19. #39
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,663
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@May 17 2004, 05:46 PM
    [b]I don`t think i`m missing the big picture I,THINK everyone else is....the big picture is we have KIDS putting themselves in real harms way who have wives and kids to support and probobly left their partners with a couple of months salary at best to get by with and has gone months maybe years without actually seeing his loved ones ,Now we have JOE ATHLETE who`s made millions multiple times over ,living in a house you could land a plane in , has servents ,has a different car for everyday of the week for all his driving family members is living the life we`d all love to live for 1 day and all this country asks of him is to represent us so, the USA can raise their flag above the others and hear our national anthem play,and these athletes can`t be bothered ,even if they got hurt ,they all have insurance for that ,No way you can convince me this is anything other than outright wrong&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;[/b][/quote]
    if that&#39;s the case, then why not you? or me? or any one of us - surely we&#39;re all better off for the people over there fighting for us. any one of us could be somewhere else furthering our nations cause, showing our pride and gratitude by fighting, debating, demonstrating, rebuilding, etc. or is it just the degree of their wealth that offends you?
    would you like to see the 1000 richest american&#39;s over there doing something? [b]woody, are you listening?[/b] gear up, man, these are your fans talking&#33;&#33;&#33;
    :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :blink: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,227
    Maybe but i`d be willing to bet you have MAYBE a handful of guys in the entire league making 1,000,000 a year as opposed to the NBA where bench warmers get close to that...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us