Thread: whats up with james rooths?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Rooths was supposed to be a big project and then he gets lost in the shuffle and you don't hear a damned thing about him anymore. With the loss of Henderson, he could be a big contributor on special teams and even back-up our fairly thin d-back corps (he's got a 60+ yard int return for a TD in NFLE). Any thought or info on this guy?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by SirLanceMehlot[/i]@May 16 2004, 09:49 PM
    [b] So Rooths was supposed to be a big project and then he gets lost in the shuffle and you don't hear a damned thing about him anymore. With the loss of Henderson, he could be a big contributor on special teams and even back-up our fairly thin d-back corps (he's got a 60+ yard int return for a TD in NFLE). Any thought or info on this guy? [/b][/quote]
    With all the compensatory picks we had in the draft we have plenty of guys for special teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's no Ian Smart. :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing, but me and Bitonti do an NFLe section for his website and I don't even know what you are talking about :blink:

James Rooths is not in NFLe, according to the leagues website.

At one point, Rooths was allocated to NFLe by the Jets, along with safety Todd Frantz, to the Claymores. Both played extremely well in the Claymores secondary--good enough to show they belonged in the NFL.

The Jets never gave Franz a chance, but Green Bay did. He made that team, now he's a fine special teamer and a good safety for Washington. I think the new Redskins staff will like him.

As far as Rooths is concerned, last I heard he never made the NFL and was last seen trying out with the Buccaneers.

He might be in the arena league :unsure:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's your answer: Rooths was cut by the AFL's Colorado Crush and has signed with CFL's Montreal.

[url=http://www.canoe.ca/CFL/AroundTheCFL/2004/03/19/388296.html]http://www.canoe.ca/CFL/AroundTheCFL/2004/.../19/388296.html[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks riggins. I came across the info on espn's nfle stats page (they've really gotta update their info if he led in return yardage in [i]2002![/i]. Too bad he's been buried in the CFL. I liked what I saw of him back in the day--a gifted athlete (though that's not everything, of course). Good info on the update, though, thanks again.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry--football.com's stats page is the culprit

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@May 16 2004, 10:36 PM
    [b] He's no Ian Smart. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    So whatever became of him?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet+May 16 2004, 11:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JumbalayaJet @ May 16 2004, 11:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@May 16 2004, 10:36 PM
    [b] He&#39;s no Ian Smart. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    So whatever became of him? [/b][/quote]
    If you&#39;re talking about Ian Smart he&#39;s fumbling away for the Scotland Claymores. For someone who I thought showed alot of promise he&#39;s been a big dissappoinment. :o

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ian Smart got 3 carries for 10 yards at the weekend, and one catch for -2. After his punt return fiasco (3 fumbled punts in two weeks) his return duties have been somewhat reduced - he returned two kick offs for 24 yards.

His replacement in the kick return game last week took a kick-off back 95 yards for a TD, and this week was 4 KR for 132 yards, including 51 and a 48 yard returns. Punt returning by the Claymores was a respectable 3 for 28 yards. With no fumbles (the offense took over those duties).