Thread: Da Vinci code author Dan Brown speaks

Hall Of Fame
    [SIZE=3]'Da Vinci' author: I left out even more[/SIZE]
    [b]Decided against including theory Jesus survived crucifixion[/b]
    Wednesday, May 19, 2004 Posted: 4:11 PM EDT (2011 GMT)

CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- Though "The Da Vinci Code" was contentious enough to produce 10 books attempting to discredit it, its author said he left out what likely would have been the most controversial part.

Dan Brown said that when he wrote the best seller that dissects the origins of Jesus Christ and disputes long-held beliefs about Catholicism, he considered including material alleging that Jesus Christ survived the crucifixion.

While speaking at a benefit Tuesday for a New Hampshire writers' group, Brown said the theory is backed by a number of "very credible sources," but that he ultimately decided it was too flimsy.

"For me, that was just three or four steps too far," he told the crowd of more than 800 people.

Brown's discussion of his book, during which he answered audience questions, was a rare public appearance for him. He has declined most requests for media interviews this year, saying he is focusing on writing the sequel to his book.

He said the new book, set in Washington, D.C., would focus on the Free and Accepted Masons, a secretive fraternal organization. He said the architecture in Washington is soaked in symbolism and plays a major role in the novel. He also said the dust jacket of "The Da Vinci Code" contains a code that reveals information about the sequel.

But Brown spent much of the evening discussing the controversy that has surrounded "The Da Vinci Code."

Since the book was published in March 2003, liberal and conservative writers have cited numerous errors. A key assertion in "The Da Vinci Code" -- that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and that sinister Christians suppressed information about it -- comes from a 1982 book titled "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," which a New York Times reviewer called "rank nonsense."

Brown said he is grateful his book is generating so much debate. He said apathy is a constant threat to the study of the uncomfortable relationship between science and religion.

The book casts unflattering light on the Catholic Church, accusing church leaders of demonizing women for centuries and of covering up the truth about the Holy Grail, which Brown says is Mary Magdalene herself.

Many critics have taken issue with Brown's claim that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child who was whisked away to France after Jesus' crucifixion.

But Brown, who was raised Christian, said that theory does not detract from Christianity's message.

"In my mind, the possibility that Jesus might have married Mary Magdalene in no way undermines the beauty of Christ's message," he said.

"The Da Vinci Code" has sold 7.5 million copies worldwide and is expected to be made into a movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im on the 5 cd and it is great reading. im enjoying deciphering all the clues and not dwelling on weather or not it is true.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by keylargojet[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:03 AM
    [b] im on the 5 cd and it is great reading. im enjoying deciphering all the clues and not dwelling on weather or not it is true. [/b][/quote]
    I'm readin Holy Blood , Holy Grail now to get more insight on this theory

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 20 2004, 10:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ May 20 2004, 10:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--keylargojet[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:03 AM
    [b] im on the 5 cd and it is great reading. im enjoying deciphering all the clues and not dwelling on weather or not it is true. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m readin Holy Blood , Holy Grail now to get more insight on this theory [/b][/quote]
    How is that? I&#39;ve been curious about checking it out.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Oakliusmaximus+May 20 2004, 11:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Oakliusmaximus @ May 20 2004, 11:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 20 2004, 10:04 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--keylargojet[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:03 AM
    I&#39;m readin Holy Blood , Holy Grail now to get more insight on this theory [/b][/quote]
    How is that? I&#39;ve been curious about checking it out. [/b][/quote]
    interesting but dry its a "historical" book and not a novel so the pace is quite different

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 20 2004, 10:19 AM
    [b]interesting but dry its a "historical" book and not a novel so the pace is quite different[/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s what I&#39;ve heard about it so far. Oh well, I&#39;ll probably get around to it one day.

Hall Of Fame
    I thought it was an incredibly weak book, and I barely had the interest to finish it.

And I have no problem with the theories espoused in the book (although most of them have been generally dismissed as hoaxes), it&#39;s just that it was so unbelievable in trying to pull it off.

I read alot of fiction, even some crappy stuff I like, but it was just too silly.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:28 AM
    [b] I thought it was an incredibly weak book, and I barely had the interest to finish it.

And I have no problem with the theories espoused in the book (although most of them have been generally dismissed as hoaxes), it&#39;s just that it was so unbelievable in trying to pull it off.

I read alot of fiction, even some crappy stuff I like, but it was just too silly. [/b][/quote]
    everything "dismissed as a hoax" doesn&#39;t necessarily make them so

[quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:28 AM
    [b] I thought it was an incredibly weak book, and I barely had the interest to finish it.

I read alot of fiction, even some crappy stuff I like, but it was just too silly. [/b][/quote]
    You seem to be taking the book far too seriously. If you just go with it, the book is fun to read. Brown is a very good storyteller.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:32 AM
    [b] everything "dismissed as a hoax" doesn&#39;t necessarily make them so [/b][/quote]
    Agreed.

Going to Milan this summer to see the Last Supper.

But even the opening scene is just too unbelievable that an 80 year-old guy that&#39;s gut shot (or gut stabbed, I forget), gets naked, crawls, writes stuff in blood on paintings, crawls someplace else to leave a clue of a clue of another clue.

And the Cryptex&#39;s?

Silly.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by James Hasty+May 20 2004, 11:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (James Hasty @ May 20 2004, 11:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JStokes[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:28 AM

You seem to be taking the book far too seriously. If you just go with it, the book is fun to read. Brown is a very good storyteller. [/b][/quote]
    No, I wasn&#39;t taking it too seriously- I just thought it was a lot weaker than about a zillion people out there who loved it.

And I&#39;m not a snob, I love fiction good and bad, i just thought it was totally unbelievable, and I could barely finish it.

Personal preference is all I&#39;m saying.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 20 2004, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ May 20 2004, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Oakliusmaximus@May 20 2004, 11:08 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 20 2004, 10:04 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--keylargojet[/i]@May 20 2004, 11:03 AM
    How is that? I&#39;ve been curious about checking it out. [/b][/quote]
    interesting but dry its a "historical" book and not a novel so the pace is quite different [/b][/quote]
    I thought it was like reading a text book.