Thread: Flames Vs. Lightning

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both of these teams play hard attacking hockey. But I don't think anyone's watching. Tonight was a good game. But between the NBC deal for peanuts, the impending lockout and 2 very small market but talented teams, the NHL seems to get worse and worse. Still, it's no fault of these 2 teams that they happen to play in small markets. And a hard cap would have prevented them form getting draft picks for old vets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My days of being an avid NHL fan (and I do mean real AVID) went by the wayside in 1997, when my Whalers skated out of Connecticut for some joke city in Carolina, thanks to jackal Bettman Angry

Anyhow, I still do follow hockey a small bit and have kept an eye on the Philly/Lightning tilt, which was excellent hockey. No other way to analyze the series, but to say neither team deserved to lose. Flyers came so close, but their big money forwards didn't get enough goals.

Here are some of thoughts regarding the NHL:

Anytime you have a Canadian team in the finals (except for maybe Toronto), ratings in the states will take a hit. But, honestly, the ratings are always pretty low? Matter of fact, I believe the ratings wouldn't have been much better if San Jose advanced. Also, after a decade of not having a Canadian team in the finals, Canadian ratings should spike--particularly out west.

The NBC deal is a real step backwards, no matter how much Barry Melrose and Saunders tried to spin the deal. Last thing the NHL needed was to go back in time (pre-Fox deal) and get a deal without rights fees. Still, what can the NHL expect, considering the lack of scoring and labor issues?

P.S: Here's the thing about U.S ratings out west: Remember when the Kings got beat by the Canadiens in 1993 and the ratings in LA spiked, with the stands full of celebs?

Thing is, despite that short spike, ratings in LA tailed off real quickly. Throw into the mix the radical demographic changes over the last decade in LA, and one wonders if the Kings and Ducks can make it anyway in that fiscally bankrupt and beleagered region.

Point? Basically, all these western and southern cities in the NHL suck, regardless of short term win streaks........So does Bettman!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rig44-you are right on about the highly paid Flyer forwards not getting it done, that, not the goaltending, led to their downfall.

As for hockey, I'm done for the year, maybe somebody could post who wins the Cup on a thread somewhere...

My questions regarding the Flyers go aolong the lines of are they too old to make another run? Is JR going to pack it in? (he has had more concussions than 88, but somehow doesnt get the press about it, possibly because he doesnt get stretched out on the ice after taking a hit) Is there a bigger (in hind-sight) big money contract bust than LeClair? Can the Flyers possibly add more Europeans to the roster and have a fan base in Philly?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can the Flyers possibly add more Europeans to the roster and have a fan base in Philly?
    That's some comical stuff?

Don't worry, I'm not one of these fat, politcally correct A-hol*s here at JI ready to lecture you and suggest you attend "sensitivity training".

Nah, it's just that Flyers GM Bobby Clarke was dubbed a "racist" by the NY Post a couple seasons ago for not liking European players..........White man insensitve to other whites is a "racist"?

Actually the SAT word "xenophope" would have been more appropriate?

Actually, I'm from the Don Cherry line of thinking, which suggests too many Euro's on a squad isn't good--so Clarke was cool with me. I'd hate to be a Penguins fan and I believe too many Euro's has led to Ottawa's quick playoff exits!

Oh boy, I guess I'm a XENOPHOBE too :o

Are the Flyers too old? A bunch of NHL teams have won it all with a team loaded with veterans over the last decade. As Joe Namath once suggested, "Don't worry about age, as much as accumulation of injuries"....

I'd suggest, quite confidently by the way, that players like Roenick and LeClair are NOT TOO old.......I think, however, they are physically shot. That comes with grind of the NHL (100 games per season, travel, World Cups, ect.)

Now, with my Whalers being history, I'd say my favorite aspect of hockey is following TEAM USA in tourny's........Both Jeremy and LeClair are American, so I hate to see them breaking down, but it appears to be true.

Maybe Roenick should sit out one season, then come back again?

Also, let me say the Flyers getting "younger" ain't so easy. They simply don't get the high picks to really make things happen. Teams like the Lightning and the Flames have had a ton of high picks and put up with a lot losses to get to this point. Flyers fans won't accept longterm re-building.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Riggins44@May 23 2004, 12:38 AM
    My days of being an avid NHL fan (and I do mean real AVID) went by the wayside in 1997, when my Whalers skated out of Connecticut for some joke city in Carolina, thanks to jackal Bettman Angry

Anyhow, I still do follow hockey a small bit and have kept an eye on the Philly/Lightning tilt, which was excellent hockey. No other way to analyze the series, but to say neither team deserved to lose. Flyers came so close, but their big money forwards didn't get enough goals.

Here are some of thoughts regarding the NHL:

Anytime you have a Canadian team in the finals (except for maybe Toronto), ratings in the states will take a hit. But, honestly, the ratings are always pretty low? Matter of fact, I believe the ratings wouldn't have been much better if San Jose advanced. Also, after a decade of not having a Canadian team in the finals, Canadian ratings should spike--particularly out west.

The NBC deal is a real step backwards, no matter how much Barry Melrose and Saunders tried to spin the deal. Last thing the NHL needed was to go back in time (pre-Fox deal) and get a deal without rights fees. Still, what can the NHL expect, considering the lack of scoring and labor issues?

P.S: Here's the thing about U.S ratings out west: Remember when the Kings got beat by the Canadiens in 1993 and the ratings in LA spiked, with the stands full of celebs?

Thing is, despite that short spike, ratings in LA tailed off real quickly. Throw into the mix the radical demographic changes over the last decade in LA, and one wonders if the Kings and Ducks can make it anyway in that fiscally bankrupt and beleagered region.

Point? Basically, all these western and southern cities in the NHL suck, regardless of short term win streaks........So does Bettman!
    Now to shoot a hole in your theory.

ESPN2 had there highest ratings for hockey ever during the Eastern Conference Finals. Thats more than just big market Philly tuning in. It's the style that was played. It's the product that will bring the fans in. People got sick and tired of the trap and clutch and grab.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buc, there is no doubt the most recent Eastern finals was stellar. It also went 7 games and had a bunch of close games, which will help. However, the NHL beating it's own ratings mark on ESPN2 isn't a huge accomplishment :o

Hockey needs help. It's in rough shape, off the ice. The fact that the NHL is now going to NBC for zero upfront money, should be an indication that things aren't working out well in the U.S.

Put 100 percent blame on the NHL owners who wanted to be like the NBA and hired Betteman. These jesters listned to the Mike and Mad Dogs of the sports world, who love the NBA and hate hockey. Only job Betteman is qualified for in the NHL, is soda peddler in the stands!!!!

I suppose the IDEAL series to get ratings in the U.S would be Chicago/ NY Rangers (big markets; love hockey).......Problem is, these teams can&#39;t even make the playoffs, let alone go to the finals <_<

P.S: By the way, I did mention these Southern and Western U.S teams can reel in some reasonable ratings during fantastic season&#39;s. Problem is, when things calm down, fans in the cities lose almost total attention in the NHL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The overexpansion the NHL has doen since Bettman came in is killing them in so many ways-added travel and player costs, watered-down talent, diluted rivalries, dumdbed down traps(which thankfully neither finals team plays). these owners got fat, dumb and happy on expansion fees and now the bill is due. There&#39;s no reason that the Devils/Flyers/Rangers/Isles shouldn&#39;t be playing each other a whole bunch more, other than all the other added teams. Soem of the Sunbelt teams-the Florida teams, San Jose, Phoenix and Dallas-made sense. But the rest-I don&#39;t know. There&#39;s just too many teams. Given the demographic changes, we&#39;ll see if the Kings and Ducks last.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bugg@May 24 2004, 09:07 AM
    The overexpansion the NHL has doen since Bettman came in is killing them in so many ways-added travel and player costs, watered-down talent, diluted rivalries, dumdbed down traps(which thankfully neither finals team plays). these owners got fat, dumb and happy on expansion fees and now the bill is due. There&#39;s no reason that the Devils/Flyers/Rangers/Isles shouldn&#39;t be playing each other a whole bunch more, other than all the other added teams. Soem of the Sunbelt teams-the Florida teams, San Jose, Phoenix and Dallas-made sense. But the rest-I don&#39;t know. There&#39;s just too many teams. Given the demographic changes, we&#39;ll see if the Kings and Ducks last.
    Atlanta is a medium to large market with an up and coming team. I question however having teams in Carolina and Tennessee, so I can understand people dislike of the Southeast Division.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I agree with Bugg, some of these Western/Southern teams are a very good thing for hockey. Matter of fact, hockey would&#39;ve been much stronger in the 1980&#39;s, had they had a strong Flames teams in Atlanta. I also agree about the rights fees. Once NHL teams got a taste of the Sharks money, they wanted more and more and it&#39;s harmed the product.....Betteman&#39;s final four team expansion in 90&#39;s was devasting to the sport&#33; They shoul&#39;ve just added Minnesota and Atlanta and left behind Columbus and Nashville. Or, better yet, not expanded at all and stayed at 26&#33;&#33;&#33;

Here&#39;s the teams I think suck and always are going to:

Totally pathetic and worthless

Carolina: The dumbest, by far, city in the NHL. This franchise is so bad, they couldn&#39;t even move to the states biggest city--Charlotte...........Instead, they are putzing around in some college town.......This franchise should be eliminated immediatly&#33;

Miami: Panthers have an up and coming team, but in Miami this franchise is a waste of time and effort, despite a nice logo and uniforms.........Miami, as a sports city, stinks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; This team makes zero sense....I&#39;m not even going to waste time with this city.

Anaheim: Disney wanted in and former commish Gil Stein bent over to accomadate them. Thing is uncontrolled illegal immigration (yes it&#39;s still illegal&#33 has decimated the region.......The area is broke financially beyond what anyone can believe and the demographics have shifted so rapidly, the NFL no longer makes sense in the region....If the NFL can&#39;t make it, how long can 2 NHL teams last? How long can one last?

Next group: I say Carolina, Miami and Anaheim should go. Here&#39;s the next group of scrub cities--take them or leave them.

Nashville: This franchise ain&#39;t as pathetic as Carolina, but they are nothing special. Either way, they have an excellent GM and nice uniforms.

Phoenix: Kind of the same problems as LA (illegal immigration rapidly changing the demographics and bankrupting the region to the point the states liberal govenor cries about it on national TV )......They have a new arena on the way, but four major league teams in Phoenix is too much....Wait, the Cardinals are minor league, I think :blink:

Columbus : This isn&#39;t really a Southern or Western team, but the market seems to be pretty AAA.........Not worth expanding too. But the fans have been good here.

Edmonton: Just kidding Canada Jet, I just wanted to use a color other than red or blue :lol: ............Edmonton kicks ass--it&#39;s what the NHL is all about. Too bad Betteman doesn&#39;t get it.

Jeff, if your favorite team isn&#39;t on the list above, I&#39;m cool with them....if that means anything

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ick, that was ugly last night. Exciting game, but the Bolts can play so much better than they did last night. Take nothing away from the Flames, they came to play and outworked the &#39;Ning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calgary is the classic example of work ethic and desire and luck of course is how you win -it is not usually the team with collectively the most talent-it is the team that can get the most out of your players together. Tampa is going to have to in the rest of this series outwork them if they want to win this championship.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a couple of Flamers to me. :lol: