Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: A proud day for Warfish, BTJF & Bitonti!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job! Lets chase those religious nutjobs, the Salvation Army, out of NYC:

'ARMY' GIRDS FOR GAY WAR

Sun May 23, 7:54 AM ET Add Local - New York Post By BRAD HAMILTON

The evangelical nonprofit organization is facing a major showdown with the city over a bill that would force it to offer health benefits to gay and unwed spouses of New York staffers.

If the organization leaves town, it would give up $70 million a year in city funding.

The loss of public financing - half the Army's yearly budget in the city - would cripple its programs, which serve 5 million New Yorkers, the group says.

Salvation Army insiders said they will refuse to comply with the proposed law because it goes against one of the organization's core beliefs - that marriage is for straight couples only.

"The Army will not change its policy," said one official, who declined to be named.

"You cannot change theological views. Those are so deeply embedded, they form the root of the faith itself."

The result could be a nightmare scenario for needy New Yorkers.

One of the largest private providers in the city, the Salvation Army answers the call for the homeless, HIV (news - web sites) sufferers, foster-care kids and troubled teens.

The Salvation Army has several multiyear contracts with the city totaling $250 million. Six city contracts worth $12.8 million are to expire June 30, by which time the bill may be law.

Salvation Army leaders have been debating the issue and are hoping for an exemption that would allow them to continue to operate here without offering the benefits.

But they're recognizing that the existing bill, approved 43 to 5 by the City Council on May 5, has enough council support to overrule the veto that Mayor Bloomberg has vowed.

The Equal Benefits Bill, an extension of a 1998 city law that gave domestic-partner benefits to city workers, does offer an olive branch to religious groups: Benefits don't have to be to a spouse, but can go to any family member.

"I think the bill makes a very fair accommodation for religious organizations," said the bill's sponsor, Councilwoman Christine Quinn (D-Manhattan).

"I would welcome the opportunity to sit down with the Salvation Army and explain how this would work, that they could keep their contracts, abide by the law and not violate their core religious beliefs."

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good. It's about time somebody stood up to those charlatans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    How, exactly, did my name get brought into this issue?

while I wouldn't mind being able to have my G.F. (unwed) on my insurance (which is better than hers), I live in VA, not NY. This bill has no effect on me at all....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's still a primary mission for The Salvation Army....

The Defense Of France :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 23 2004, 12:18 PM
    [b] Good. It's about time somebody stood up to those charlatans. [/b][/quote]
    Christ with me, Christ before me,
    Christ behind me, Christ within me,
    Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ at my right, Christ at my left,
    Christ in the fort,
    Christ in the chariot seat,
    Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks to me,
    Christ in every eye that sees me,
    Christ in every ear that hears me.

-St. Patrick

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 23 2004, 03:12 PM
    [b] How, exactly, did my name get brought into this issue?

while I wouldn't mind being able to have my G.F. (unwed) on my insurance (which is better than hers), I live in VA, not NY. This bill has no effect on me at all.... [/b][/quote]
    [b]ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS[/b]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses+May 23 2004, 09:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jet Moses @ May 23 2004, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@May 23 2004, 03:12 PM

while I wouldn&#39;t mind being able to have my G.F. (unwed) on my insurance (which is better than hers), I live in VA, not NY. This bill has no effect on me at all.... [/b][/quote]
    [b]ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS[/b] [/b][/quote]
    And that is relevant to this issue how?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+May 24 2004, 10:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ May 24 2004, 10:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Jet Moses@May 23 2004, 09:21 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@May 23 2004, 03:12 PM

while I wouldn&#39;t mind being able to have my G.F. (unwed) on my insurance (which is better than hers), I live in VA, not NY. This bill has no effect on me at all.... [/b][/quote]
    [b]ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS[/b] [/b][/quote]
    And that is relevant to this issue how? [/b][/quote]
    you have an unalienable right to insurance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    why do i care about this? Jet Moses you don&#39;t see me posting topics that say "2 more GIs blown away: Happy day for Jets5ever, Weeb, Moses and CBNY"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 24 2004, 02:59 PM
    [b] why do i care about this? Jet Moses you don&#39;t see me posting topics that say "2 more GIs blown away: Happy day for Jets5ever, Weeb, Moses and CBNY" [/b][/quote]
    Strike up the band, ol&#39; chum&#33;