Thread: amnesty slams us

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The United States has lost its moral high ground and its ability to lead on peace and human rights elsewhere," Khan added at a press conference in London to launch the annual report.

The report also stated that events in 2003 had "dealt a mortal blow" to the UN's vision of universal human rights, with the global body "virtually paralysed in its efforts to hold states to account" over the issue.

"Not since the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted in 1948 has there been such a sustained attack on (its) values and principles," Khan told the press conference.

While the report only briefly dealt with damning allegations that US and British troops tortured Iraqi prisoners -- these first came to light just last month -- it had harsh words about the two nations' overall record in Iraq.

"Coalition forces failed to live up fully to their responsibilities as occupying powers, including their duty to restore and maintain public order and safety, and to provide food, medical care and relief assistance," it said.

Elsewhere, Amnesty detailed a long list of abuses in Russia, where security forces "continue to enjoy almost total impunity for serious violations of human rights and international law" in the breakaway republic of Chechnya (news - web sites).

China, despite a new Communist government under President Hu Jintao, had made "no significant attempt" to end the use of torture and other abuses, which "remained widespread".

In the Middle East, both Israel and the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) were taken to task, with Amnesty saying that some actions by the Israeli army, such as the destruction of property, "constituted war crimes".

One of the most damning assessments was handed to Cuba, which saw a "severe deterioration in the human rights situation" during 2003, most notably through the jailing of dozens of dissidents after "hasty and unfair" trials.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey bman, I thought you were "done" with this board until November.

We had already lined up a typing orangutan to fill in for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@May 26 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] Hey bman, I thought you were "done" with this board until November.

We had already lined up a typing orangutan to fill in for you. [/b][/quote]
    he doesn't type or think...just cut and paste....which any orangutan can do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    who is bman?

Well monkeys can even be president in this day and age..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pilgrim[/i]@May 26 2004, 10:54 AM
    [b]who is bman?
    [/b][/quote]
    Just some guy who wore a hockey helmet and liked to lick the windows in the short bus all the way home.

bman, you do understand how easy it is for a moderator to see when the same person is posting under different names, right? I mean, being that you're so much smarter than the rest of us and all. Daaaaaaaaa...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@May 26 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] Hey bman, I thought you were "done" with this board until November.

[/b][/quote]
    He's like the clinton's....once you think they/he are gone they reprocess themselves and you never get rid of them.....[b]OH NO![/b]