View Poll Results: Which one would you take?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merlin Olsen

3 42.86%
  • Randy White

3 42.86%
  • Bob Lilly

1 14.29%

Thread: Bet DT taken thusfar....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This should settle an arguement!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think its obvious that you and I are the first two votes.

You should have included Mean Joe. Lilly is better IMHO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You fools left out Dan Hampton :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ham, as he should will kick in White~~

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheBrodyMan@Jun 1 2004, 11:29 AM
    You fools left out Dan Hampton :<!--emo&Angry:--><!--endemo-->
    OMFG that was funny. Hampton best ever :lol: :lol: .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Jun 1 2004, 11:30 AM
    Ham, as he should will kick in White~~
    :lol:

I Just did

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by James Hasty@Jun 1 2004, 11:29 AM
    JH, Please be realistic ... if he adds Mean Joe Greene, Bob Lilly loses by a landslide

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Jun 1 2004, 11:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Jun 1 2004, 11:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--James Hasty@Jun 1 2004, 11:29 AM
    JH, Please be realistic ... if he adds Mean Joe Greene, Bob Lilly loses by a landslide [/b][/quote]
    I am not kidding at all. Just because some of you guys are focused on the youth movement does not mean that Bob Lilly isn&#39;t the best defensive lineman in the history of the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by James Hasty+Jun 1 2004, 12:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (James Hasty @ Jun 1 2004, 12:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Green Jets & Ham@Jun 1 2004, 11:40 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--James Hasty
    @Jun 1 2004, 11:29 AM

JH, Please be realistic ... if he adds Mean Joe Greene, Bob Lilly loses by a landslide
    I am not kidding at all. Just because some of you guys are focused on the youth movement does not mean that Bob Lilly isn&#39;t the best defensive lineman in the history of the NFL. [/b][/quote]
    Hasty, out of curiousity, how old are you and when did you start watching football? This isn&#39;t a dig just curious to see if you&#39;ve seen all those guys your picking actually play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Jun 1 2004, 12:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Jun 1 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -James Hasty@Jun 1 2004, 12:00 PM

I am not kidding at all. Just because some of you guys are focused on the youth movement does not mean that Bob Lilly isn&#39;t the best defensive lineman in the history of the NFL.
    Hasty, out of curiousity, how old are you and when did you start watching football? This isn&#39;t a dig just curious to see if you&#39;ve seen all those guys your picking actually play. [/b][/quote]
    I can&#39;t say that I have seen them all play but I am pretty sure that most of you can&#39;t say that either. I did my homework for this draft and believe that Lilly is the best (otherwise I would have taken Deacon Jones or Don Hutson). As for Montana, I probably would have taken him over Graham but had a lot of fun raking JonEJet over the coals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by James Hasty+Jun 1 2004, 12:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (James Hasty @ Jun 1 2004, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Jetlag@Jun 1 2004, 12:04 PM

Hasty, out of curiousity, how old are you and when did you start watching football? This isn&#39;t a dig just curious to see if you&#39;ve seen all those guys your picking actually play.
    I can&#39;t say that I have seen them all play but I am pretty sure that most of you can&#39;t say that either. I did my homework for this draft and believe that Lilly is the best (otherwise I would have taken Deacon Jones or Don Hutson). As for Montana, I probably would have taken him over Graham but had a lot of fun raking JonEJet over the coals. [/b][/quote]
    Doesn&#39;t really answer my question. I&#39;m 21 and have been watching for a decade. Most of my past football knowledge comes from old highlight videos and my older family members.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Jun 1 2004, 12:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Jun 1 2004, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -James Hasty@Jun 1 2004, 12:08 PM
    Originally posted by -Jetlag@Jun 1 2004, 12:04 PM

I can&#39;t say that I have seen them all play but I am pretty sure that most of you can&#39;t say that either. I did my homework for this draft and believe that Lilly is the best (otherwise I would have taken Deacon Jones or Don Hutson). As for Montana, I probably would have taken him over Graham but had a lot of fun raking JonEJet over the coals.
    Doesn&#39;t really answer my question. I&#39;m 21 and have been watching for a decade. Most of my past football knowledge comes from old highlight videos and my older family members. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m 33. I have watched a lot of football since I was young. While the games I watched helped me with the recent players I had to look up info about the older ones. I have been very careful so far not to favor players that I have seen over those that were before my time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by James Hasty@Jun 1 2004, 12:00 PM
    Not trying to toot my own horn but I am as close to a football historian as you will find on these boards ... definitely an amateur historian

For example, I haven&#39;t needed to research jack-squat for this draft ... I know every player who was selected thus far without even blinking ... pretty much know how good these players were on site of the name

Bob Lilly was a Great DT ... no doubt about it ... but he wasn&#39;t better than Mean Joe Greene

I don&#39;t care if TSN sees it differently ... IMO TSN is wrong ... and Lilly&#39;s former coach loved him like a son, so his quote has to take that into consideration ... Lilly was literally like a son to the old man

I know what kinda player Lilly was ... believe me, I know ... but he wasn&#39;t better than Joe Greene and IMO he wasn&#39;t better than Randy White either

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jun 1 2004, 12:47 PM
    I know what kinda player Lilly was ... believe me, I know ... but he wasn&#39;t better than Joe Greene and IMO he wasn&#39;t better than Randy White either
    What is your basis for comparison?

What exactly leads you to believe that Green and White are better?

If Randy White and Merlin Olsen were as good as you and JonEJet say they you would have taken them with one of your first two picks and not in round four or five. I would love to have some of what you guys are smoking.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I&#39;m not Just saying this cause I have Randy White and you have Bob Lilly ... and I didn&#39;t select White only cause Lilly was taken

If I had my choice of the two, I would have taken the Manster

Want proof?

We actually had this conversation on the main board a few weeks ago ... about these two players ... I believe I had this conversation with Brody, but it may have been someone else?

Anyway, at that time ... on the main board ... weeks ago ... long before this draft ... I said Randy White was better than Bob Lilly

I actually regretted having that conversation when this draft kicked-off cause I feared I may have swayed someone towards the Manster, and that was the DT we had targeted from day one

As for why I didn&#39;t take him earlier ... strategy ... its all about the value ... gambled we could get him a bit later and I gambled right

Made the same gamble with Deacon Jones and lost

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m 19, about to turn 20 and have been watching football for going on 14 years. The only guy on my team that I&#39;ve actually seen play is Lawrence Taylor. Eric Dickerson&#39;s Colts didn&#39;t come on local TV much when I started watching football, but I do remember when he retired after failed a physical with the Packers. However, I did watch Art Shell coach. I have done absolutely no research in this draft and have picked purely on my guts and the knowledge of the game I&#39;ve accumulated over the past decade and a half, and I&#39;d have to say that my YoungerJetsFan ass is doing a decent job.