Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Peter Lugers

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Brooklyn is better...the waiters are definitely more surly...

someone abouve nailed it best steak is at Sparks!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djaparz[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 01:40 PM
    [b] You also have the infamouse Sparks Steak house on 3rd Ave in Manhattan [/b][/quote]
    Isn't that where Castalono got wacked?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say that dinner at the Peter Lugers in Greenpoint is great for an "Experience Based" meal. If you want a big family sized Poterhouse w/creamed spinach, then Lugers is the place for.

[SIZE=3][b]It is not, however, the best steakhouse in the city. IMHO[/b][/SIZE]

That honor would go to [b]Delfrisco's[/b]...On 49th & 6th. Next on my list would be [b]Smith & Wollenskey's[/b].....And make sure you get the Lobster Salad to start off the evening.

There's a new trendy place in the meat packing district called [b]Dylan Prime[/b]. The place is overpowered by the smell of prentension, and the Steaks are overpriced, and overrated.

Good Eats......

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ctjetfan+Jun 4 2004, 02:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (ctjetfan @ Jun 4 2004, 02:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--djaparz[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 01:40 PM
    [b] You also have the infamouse Sparks Steak house on 3rd Ave in Manhattan [/b][/quote]
    Isn&#39;t that where Castalono got wacked? [/b][/quote]
    yes

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    "My mom asked for a menu. The german waiter looked at her as if she asked him to build the Panama Canal with a teaspoon. "Lady, we have STEAK. What else ya want?"

I went there w/ 4 of my buddies once. One of them asked the waiter if the lamb chop appetizer was enough for us. In his obnoxious German accent he says ,"There are 4 of them and there are 5 of you." My friend says " so should I order 1 or 2, " he says " there are 4 of them and there are 5 of you. You do the math." Sounds like the same guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the same token, my mom is the kind of person who without malice absentmindedly once asked a waitress with a bad speech impediment to recite the daily specials 3 times. She had been warned by everyone in attendance that they have "steak for..." how ever many and still
    asked for a menu. And the meal was great. Get the bacon and shrimp cocktail appetizers. The surliness of the waiters is a twisted part of the charm. And bring cash-they do not take any credit card except their own.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 02:17 PM
    [b] I&#39;d say that dinner at the Peter Lugers in Greenpoint is great for an "Experience Based" meal. If you want a big family sized Poterhouse w/creamed spinach, then Lugers is the place for.

[SIZE=3][b]It is not, however, the best steakhouse in the city. IMHO[/b][/SIZE]

That honor would go to [b]Delfrisco&#39;s[/b]...On 49th & 6th. Next on my list would be [b]Smith & Wollenskey&#39;s[/b].....And make sure you get the Lobster Salad to start off the evening.

There&#39;s a new trendy place in the meat packing district called [b]Dylan Prime[/b]. The place is overpowered by the smell of prentension, and the Steaks are overpriced, and overrated.

Good Eats...... [/b][/quote]
    The Peter Lugers in Brooklyn is the best steakhouse in NYC. It blows away Morton&#39;s, Nick and Stephs, Ruths Chris & Smith & Wollenskys. I&#39;ve never been to Delfrisco&#39;s. I&#39;ll have to check it out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going to the downstairs room at Sparks with a bunch of people and gorgeing on the best steak you&#39;ve ever had is something everyone should experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The chef from The Old Hempstead left and opened a place called Edward&#39;s in Jersey City. Looking forward to trying it, &#39;cause I loved that joint on 14th.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Brooklyn Spot is THE BEST in NYC.

smith and Wolensky&#39;s is overrated.

Gallaghers is ok, but it&#39;s not Luger&#39;s

the chimichurri grill (an Argentine steakhouse - we KNOW how to ake steak) on 44th & 9th is pretty good too.

and yes...the waiters are d&#33;cks, but you go for the food and their attitude is reflected in the tip. :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 01:35 PM
    [b] That&#39;s the only problem I have living in Florida. It&#39;s tough to find really good food. The Pizza here is awful, Ham, Egg and Cheese on a hard roll? Forget about it. What passes for Italian down here sickens me... Olive Garden? I have to admit, Carrabba&#39;s isn&#39;t as bad as I thought it was going to be. [/b][/quote]
    i have to admit i was expecting the worst but i found a bunch of good places here in taMPA.....

but your right about the italian thing.... there arent even any pizzarias on every corner and if you find a little place that says its a pizzeria its wierd. you have to order a slice and its not that good.

i will also disagree with you on the olive garden. i went in being very scheptical and found it quite tasty

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ctjetfan[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 02:25 PM
    [b] great neck...I went to the Great Neck location last Friday on my way home from Belmont...Best Steak I ever had. I&#39;m just curious if the Original Brooklyn location is even better. [/b][/quote]
    Both Luer locations are great. The Brooklyn joint is a little cooler, but the food&#39;s basically the same.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djaparz[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 01:32 PM
    [b]
    damn i miss my teen years in Bensonhurst&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    thats too bad cuz im livin my teen years in bensonhurst right now

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i like angelo & maxie&#39;s, but only b/c i don&#39;t really like steak, just go when i take a client who does, and they have a teriyaki steak that could be shoe leather and would taste as good, smothered in teriyaki & mushrooms.

i ate at luger&#39;s in bkln a bunch when i had a client there, don&#39;t make the mistake i did - after 4 or 5 plain, unmarinated steaks (that&#39;s the only kind they have), i got the salmon the next time-- i think the chef took it as a personal insult, because it came out dry as cardboard, smothered in dried dill. had the steak the next few times, with a lot of wine... moral: get whatever you want, as long as you want the steak.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 11:59 PM
    [b] i like angelo & maxie&#39;s, but only b/c i don&#39;t really like steak, just go when i take a client who does, and they have a teriyaki steak that could be shoe leather and would taste as good, smothered in teriyaki & mushrooms.

i ate at luger&#39;s in bkln a bunch when i had a client there, don&#39;t make the mistake i did - after 4 or 5 plain, unmarinated steaks (that&#39;s the only kind they have), i got the salmon the next time-- i think the chef took it as a personal insult, because it came out dry as cardboard, smothered in dried dill. had the steak the next few times, with a lot of wine... moral: get whatever you want, as long as you want the steak. [/b][/quote]
    [i][b]Just a salad...Just a salad...Just a salad...Just a salad...[/b][/i] -- Seinfeld

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin+Jun 4 2004, 11:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jet-Zeppelin @ Jun 4 2004, 11:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--isired[/i]@Jun 4 2004, 11:59 PM
    [b] i like angelo & maxie&#39;s, but only b/c i don&#39;t really like steak, just go when i take a client who does, and they have a teriyaki steak that could be shoe leather and would taste as good, smothered in teriyaki & mushrooms.

i ate at luger&#39;s in bkln a bunch when i had a client there, don&#39;t make the mistake i did - after 4 or 5 plain, unmarinated steaks (that&#39;s the only kind they have), i got the salmon the next time-- i think the chef took it as a personal insult, because it came out dry as cardboard, smothered in dried dill. had the steak the next few times, with a lot of wine... moral: get whatever you want, as long as you want the steak. [/b][/quote]
    [i][b]Just a salad...Just a salad...Just a salad...Just a salad...[/b][/i] -- Seinfeld [/b][/quote]
    :D :D :D :D
    i think you&#39;d get brownish iceberg with some old dried carrots at lugers - their &#39;salad&#39; is raw onion w/ tomato in their steak sauce.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i can make it very simple:

one is in Great Neck
    I like in Great Neck

GO TO THE ONE IN GREAT NECK&#33;

. . . . I heard the waiters suck in brooklyn, they are quite nice in the great of the neck

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I&#39;ve heard: When the meat comes in (the main meat market is right by Luger&#39;s in Bklyn), they pull all the choicest ones & reserve them for Luger&#39;s only. They take the best of those & serve them in Bklyn. The next-best batch goes to Great Neck. After that, they go to the rest of the city with another pecking-order of sorts.

I&#39;ve only been to the Bklyn location so I don&#39;t know how much of a difference there really is.

My last experience at Smith & Wollensky&#39;s was a decent steak but it was nothing special at all. Frankly the salad & appetizer were more impressive.

Gallaghers served me a "medium" steak, red on the outside & ice-cold inside. When I asked them to cook it more since I&#39;d asked for it medium, the snot-nose, green-card-less waiter said that IS medium, brought it back out 20 minutes later & it was charred all over & dry/grey inside. Never went back & never will.

Only steak that I&#39;ve had close to Luger&#39;s (but with much better atmosphere) is Sparks. Angelo & Maxie&#39;s is always teriffic as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Sperm Edwards[/i]@Jun 5 2004, 05:20 PM
    [b] This is what I&#39;ve heard: When the meat comes in (the main meat market is right by Luger&#39;s in Bklyn), they pull all the choicest ones & reserve them for Luger&#39;s only. They take the best of those & serve them in Bklyn. The next-best batch goes to Great Neck. After that, they go to the rest of the city with another pecking-order of sorts.

I&#39;ve only been to the Bklyn location so I don&#39;t know how much of a difference there really is.

My last experience at Smith & Wollensky&#39;s was a decent steak but it was nothing special at all. Frankly the salad & appetizer were more impressive.

Gallaghers served me a "medium" steak, red on the outside & ice-cold inside. When I asked them to cook it more since I&#39;d asked for it medium, the snot-nose, green-card-less waiter said that IS medium, brought it back out 20 minutes later & it was charred all over & dry/grey inside. Never went back & never will.

Only steak that I&#39;ve had close to Luger&#39;s (but with much better atmosphere) is Sparks. Angelo & Maxie&#39;s is always teriffic as well. [/b][/quote]
    There are tons of places to get a great steak.

Sparks is great. Both Luger loc&#39;s are great.

The Landmark Tavern is a good, lesser known place. I&#39;ve has much better experiences at Wollensky&#39;s, but would agree that it&#39;s overrated, especially when you get the bill.

Ruth&#39;s Chris serves good steaks and they are a chain.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terry Badway saw your post about Dylan Prime. Got my Son a Gift Certifacate for the place last year for his Birthday. I found the people very helpfull over the phone processing my request and my son and his girlfriend said the realy enjoyed the place and the food was great. Don&#39;t know if things have changed ? He did say though it was more of a 30 something crowd. Not for old folks like me.