Thread: Gas Prices

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE=3]I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer.
    Want gasoline prices to come down?
    We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than “the don't buy gas on a certain day” campaign that was going around last April or May!
    The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas.
    It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
    By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! We all know that we're being screwed by the oil companies.
    Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming there was a shortage of oil.
    Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a gallon of gas was 29 cents!!! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
    HOW?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can’t just stop buying gas.
    But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
    Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.
    If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
    If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
    But to have an impact, we need to reach [literally] millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.
    It’s really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and Ill explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to at least thirty people.
    If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people... Well, lets face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 OR LESS RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by vilma baby[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:11 PM
    [b]
    Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.
    If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
    [/b][/quote]

I musta missed something.

I wasn't aware that Exxon and Mobil set the price per barrel for all the OPEC countries. :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok lets say for the sake of arguement that people boycott EM...

and lets say EM lower their prices (it would only take a couple cents)

what happens next?

everyone goes back to EM, and then they can raise the price again.

what happens then, another email rally?

end result --> gas was 5 cents cheaper for three weeks.

this is dumber than the last one just cause the guy thinks it will work...

---

as an aside nothing endangers this nations' economy or security more than our reliance on middle eastern oil. we bomb one set of ragheads and buy oil from another... they both hate us but one set is our ally cause they sell... yet no one sees a problem here?

the problem is that yes people depend on their cars... and believe it is their right to cheap gas.
    both of these conditions need to be lessened. with auto, oil and real estate lobbys, the chances of responsible land planning is slim and none... meanwhile no serious politician would even try to get a legit gas tax passed... the guy would be lynched.

so here we are ... it's like america is a heroin junkie and saudi is the pusher... no one wants to try to kick the habit, we'd rather passing around internet hoax after internet hoax in a fruitless attempt to drive down prices of the product we can't even consider NOT buying.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no tax on gas?

Where do you live?

TomShane
    OPEC really has nothing to do, directly anyway, with the gas prices in the US, other than that it influences World gas prices, and this is a reaction. The US only pulls 9% of its oil from the Middle East, while *****-ass France and Western Europe, combined with Asia, pull the extreme majority. Our fuel comes from South America, whom I believe we should just invade and take over with little resistance. America wastes its time in the Middle East. Let France go back to using coal, and then we'll see how indignant they are towards American transgression overseas. Le Douchebags.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i totally agree with bitonti. we have to curb the need for gas - hate to say it, but we americans did it to ourselves. we all feel (as i do too, to certain extent) that it is our red/white/blue god given right to drive arond in SUVs. even post-9/11, automakers couldn't stop chirping about the "comeback of muscle engines." you know the rest... i'm not trashing SUV drivers b/c that would be a cheap shot... we work hard, we want nice things, who are these opec *******s to dictate our way of life..... gotcha. i just hope the hybrid technology takes off - much much faster!

on the same topic, i'm looking for a new car. prior to the gas $ hike, i was thinking about getting an SUV (4runner, explorer) b/c we're moving to the burbs and expecting our first child.... now i can't see myself spending $50-60 at the pump 2-3x week... i've heard some people swear by SUVs when they have kids and others totally can the idea. any suggestions?

Maxman
    I think the gas tax is something like 15 cents a gallon in NJ. And that went into effect when a gallon was just over a dollar. Seems pretty steep to me.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:46 PM
    [b] OPEC really has nothing to do, directly anyway, with the gas prices in the US, other than that it influences World gas prices, and this is a reaction. The US only pulls 9% of its oil from the Middle East, while *****-ass France and Western Europe, combined with Asia, pull the extreme majority. Our fuel comes from South America, whom I believe we should just invade and take over with little resistance. America wastes its time in the Middle East. Let France go back to using coal, and then we'll see how indignant they are towards American transgression overseas. Le Douchebags. [/b][/quote]
    I think you percentage is a bit low. [url=http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/crudebycountry.htm]http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/crude...debycountry.htm[/url]

But regardless I like the South American invasion idea. I am always up for something like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Just our luck. On the day Sooth asks us to stop moved off topics, we get a chain letter. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:46 PM
    [b] The US only pulls 9% of its oil from the Middle East, [/b][/quote]
    we pull 16% from Saudi Arabia, alone... Saudi Arabia is also the "seller of last resort" meaning that companies that usually get their supply from other places, when that falls through they go to Saudi

15 of the 19 9-11 bombers were Saudi, OBL is Saudi... yet these guys are our Allies in the war on terror?? :blink:

---

as for the gas tax as it stands now it's not enough to curb demand...

americans still enjoy the lowest gas prices in the world...

the SUV hybrid technology is promising but it's a question whether people will embrace it...

---

invading south america would be a cluster f--k... vietnam taught us everything we ever wanted to know about jungle guerrila warfare... we could take it over but couldn't keep it very long...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:47 PM
    [b] I think the gas tax is something like 15 cents a gallon in NJ. And that went into effect when a gallon was just over a dollar. Seems pretty steep to me. [/b][/quote]
    Max I think that is just the state portion. I think there is also $.18-.20.gal in federal tax.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Increasing demand from China is helping to drive up prices. Quantity demanded goes up, prices go up. It's not rocket science.

People can all drive cars powered by vegetable oil if they want to; homes, commerical real estate, planes and commerical trucks are predominantly powered by oil.

People need to get a grip, the sky isn't falling....

A lot of things were cheap in current dollar terms 35 years ago; there's this concept called inflation that adults factor into discussions like this....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:59 PM
    [b] Just our luck. On the day Sooth asks us to stop moved off topics, we get a chain letter. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    He told you not to move OT........he didn't say not to move chain letters.......go for it my friend........ :P

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Jun 7 2004, 04:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Jun 7 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:46 PM
    [b] The US only pulls 9% of its oil from the Middle East, [/b][/quote]
    we pull 16% from Saudi Arabia, alone... Saudi Arabia is also the "seller of last resort" meaning that companies that usually get their supply from other places, when that falls through they go to Saudi

15 of the 19 9-11 bombers were Saudi, OBL is Saudi... yet these guys are our Allies in the war on terror?? :blink:

---

as for the gas tax as it stands now it&#39;s not enough to curb demand...

americans still enjoy the lowest gas prices in the world...

the SUV hybrid technology is promising but it&#39;s a question whether people will embrace it...

---

invading south america would be a cluster f--k... vietnam taught us everything we ever wanted to know about jungle guerrila warfare... we could take it over but couldn&#39;t keep it very long... [/b][/quote]
    Damn you guys and your silly "facts."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I get yelled at everytime I move a thread, let&#39;s take a vote.

Who wants this non-sports related gas thread moved?

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 04:34 PM
    [b] Since I get yelled at everytime I move a thread, let&#39;s take a vote.

Who wants this non-sports related gas thread moved? [/b][/quote]
    Move it, Duce&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    &#036;3 a gallon? Sheesh&#33; Our petrol in the UK is currently heading for £4 a gallon (that&#39;s over &#036;7 at the current exchange rates). I know the US gallon and UK gallon are a bit different, but we&#39;re still getting screwed.

There was serious talk of a repeat of the last fuel protests, where refineries were blockaded and fuel stations all over the country were running short. It was all peaceful, but very effective - people started hoarding food for fear that the supermarkets wouldn&#39;t get their deliveries, doctors and so on were given special &#39;priority passes&#39; to get fuel so they could still do their jobs, and it was getting close to the Army being brought in to ensure the supply.

This time around the government has agreed to reconsider a planned increase in fuel tax, which has staved off any protests for now. But the possibility is still there.

(PS - let me know when the invasion of S America starts - I&#39;m sure there&#39;s still a few people over here with a grudge against Argentina ... ;) )

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JamesR[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 05:42 PM
    [b] &#036;3 a gallon? Sheesh&#33; Our petrol in the UK is currently heading for £4 a gallon (that&#39;s over &#036;7 at the current exchange rates). I know the US gallon and UK gallon are a bit different, but we&#39;re still getting screwed.

There was serious talk of a repeat of the last fuel protests, where refineries were blockaded and fuel stations all over the country were running short. It was all peaceful, but very effective - people started hoarding food for fear that the supermarkets wouldn&#39;t get their deliveries, doctors and so on were given special &#39;priority passes&#39; to get fuel so they could still do their jobs, and it was getting close to the Army being brought in to ensure the supply.

This time around the government has agreed to reconsider a planned increase in fuel tax, which has staved off any protests for now. But the possibility is still there.

(PS - let me know when the invasion of S America starts - I&#39;m sure there&#39;s still a few people over here with a grudge against Argentina ... ;) ) [/b][/quote]
    U evil Brits still hanging on to their islands? :lol: :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    not to be the PC police, Bitoni, but I don&#39;t think ethnic slurs belong on this board.

i don&#39;t know you, but i&#39;m guessing you didn&#39;t mean anything by using the term you used for Arabs...judging from previous posts of yours that i&#39;ve read, you seem like a good guy, not a racist. but, really, if you used a similarly derogatory term for most other ethnic groups, i think a lot of people on this board would be up in arms. hate the terrorists, hate the oppressive and hypocritical governments if you want -- but it&#39;s wrong to hate all Arabs, or to label them all with an ethnic slur.

btw, I agree with you completely about the danger of our dependence on foreign oil, and the need to institute a real gas tax that would truly encourage a cut in consumption and development of alternative energy technologies.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Jun 7 2004, 04:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ Jun 7 2004, 04:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman[/i]@Jun 7 2004, 03:47 PM
    [b] I think the gas tax is something like 15 cents a gallon in NJ. And that went into effect when a gallon was just over a dollar. Seems pretty steep to me. [/b][/quote]
    Max I think that is just the state portion. I think there is also &#036;.18-.20.gal in federal tax. [/b][/quote]
    Damn I forgot about that. The 15 cents is definitely the state portion. I forgot the Feds had their hands all over this as well. Dirty bastids. LOL.