Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall of Fame

All League
    TORONTO (AP) -- Ray Bourque needed 22 seasons to win a Stanley Cup. His wait to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame was much shorter.

Bourque, Paul Coffey and Larry Murphy were elected to the Hall of Fame on Wednesday in their first year of eligibility. Former Calgary and Toronto general manager Cliff Fletcher was chosen for induction in the builders' category by the 18-member selection committee.

Ray Bourque is a class guy- well deserved selection. Larry Murphy i do not know about-he does not deserve elite status that getting in Hall of Fame brings

C'mon faba. Larry Murphy, 20 seasons, 1615 games played, 1216 points. If that doesn't scream HOF then I don't know what does.

Ray Bourque, in 1612 games played, 1579 points. Not much difference there...

All deserving D-men, but let's face it, Raymond is clearly the most popular and probably most deserving. Don'tcha think, CJ???

Well...I dunno. Perhaps you could answer me this. Why would Bourque be "more" deserving? B)

All League
    I am a little old fashioned when I think of a Hall of Fame selection-one of the requirements for me was this player special in that he could change the course of the outcome of games.
    Bourque the answer is definitely yes -Murphy is not in the same category Canada jet.

Are all the Hall's selections capable of doing that?

And what do you think about Coffey?

Originally posted by CanadaJet@Jun 10 2004, 10:09 AM

Coffey.....I can only remember HIS BAD YEARS. The guy was a stiff for the F'ers. We're cursed, I tell ya.

Paul Coffey...

GP: 1409
    PTS: 1531

More than 200 fewer games than Bourque... :o

All League
    I respect your opinion Canada Jet but I just do not feel Murphy belongs in the same class as Bourque. He was a productive player for many years but I just do not think that justifies Hall of Fame-he never was a dominant player in his era or at his position. But I do understand and acknowledge his accomplishments.
    GGG The Flyers are not cursed -take it from a Ranger fan-we are cursed with Dolans and Sather!

Originally posted by faba@Jun 10 2004, 10:50 AM
    I respect your opinion Canada Jet but I just do not feel Murphy belongs in the same class as Bourque. He was a productive player for many years but I just do not think that justifies Hall of Fame-he never was a dominant player in his era or at his position. But I do understand and acknowledge his accomplishments.
    GGG The Flyers are not cursed -take it from a Ranger fan-we are cursed with Dolans and Sather!
    Honey, you won THE EFFING CUP after 1975, so don't come cryin' to me about being cursed. After Smarty Jones choked, I'm convinced that anything from Philly is pure horsesh*t.

Dolan and Sather....the Blewshirts are deserving of both of 'em.

All League
    GGG
    You have to bring back the ghost of Bernie Parent and get Bobby Clarke to suit up again and get out of the executive suite to get out of your curse!

CJ, as an affirmed Bruin hater (as a Whalers zealot), I've gotta say Ray Borque runs circles around Paul C. in total, all-around game.

First, I personally hate PC for refusing to play with the Whalers in 1995 (along with sleazball Shanahan), so I'm definitely biased to a degree against the bum.......

Anyway, Ray Bourque led all players in minutes played in his final NHL season (vintage Borgue at 41*) . He was a stallwart for years and years and could defend his goalie as well Rob Langway. He could, also, join the rush or QB the powerplay as well as anyone in the game in the 1990's (Ron Francis, Mark Messier included)....

PC was a forward playing D, who became a carpetbagger for over decade putting up average numbers (terrible on defense)--going from team to team almost everyseason. That did taint his image in the eyes of most us that really caught up with hockey in the 2nd half of the 1980's.

In my opinion, Gretzky and Mess were the men in Edmonton.........PC was a skilled offensive player along for the ride in an era of huge stats.

*No doubt in my mind Borque could still play well today in the NHL .......

Originally posted by faba@Jun 10 2004, 11:47 AM
    GGG
    You have to bring back the ghost of Bernie Parent and get Bobby Clarke to suit up again and get out of the executive suite to get out of your curse!
    It's the ghost of Pelle Lindbergh!!!! We haven't had a decent goalie since, no disrespect intended towards Robert Esche. And, I say...Lace 'em up, Bobby Clarke!!! He's my guy and all...but he's a moron. Put him in a job in the Front Office....out of harms way. He's not a good GM for chrissakes.

All League
    I agree Snider put Clarke in the GM position -he needs to get a real hockey executive in there and not one who trades away Fedentenko-hate to rub it in GGG.

Originally posted by Riggins44@Jun 10 2004, 01:07 PM
    CJ, as an affirmed Bruin hater (as a Whalers zealot), I've gotta say Ray Borque runs circles around Paul C. in total, all-around game.

First, I personally hate PC for refusing to play with the Whalers in 1995 (along with sleazball Shanahan), so I'm definitely biased to a degree against the bum.......

Anyway, Ray Bourque led all players in minutes played in his final NHL season (vintage Borgue at 41*) . He was a stallwart for years and years and could defend his goalie as well Rob Langway. He could, also, join the rush or QB the powerplay as well as anyone in the game in the 1990's (Ron Francis, Mark Messier included)....

PC was a forward playing D, who became a carpetbagger for over decade putting up average numbers (terrible on defense)--going from team to team almost everyseason. That did taint his image in the eyes of most us that really caught up with hockey in the 2nd half of the 1980's.

In my opinion, Gretzky and Mess were the men in Edmonton.........PC was a skilled offensive player along for the ride in an era of huge stats.

*No doubt in my mind Borque could still play well today in the NHL .......
    Rigs, fair enough. He pissed off a lot of Oilers fans when he left too because of more $. But PC didn't like the media. And in turn, the media didn't like PC. We all know that can shape an entire generation's fans into forming a lasting impression on what kind of "player" you are.

If PC was Mr. Ray Bourque, nice, accomodating, never speaks his mind, and ultimately a bad interview he'd be lauded as one of the greatest ever. But insted, they aren't bad mouthing him, they just ignore him...which is worse, IMO.
    B)

Originally posted by faba@Jun 10 2004, 02:24 PM
    I agree Snider put Clarke in the GM position -he needs to get a real hockey executive in there and not one who trades away Fedentenko-hate to rub it in GGG.
    My favorite was the Chris Gratton fiasco. :wacko:

While I understand Snider's PR need to hire Bobby (now known as Bob) Clarke somewhere in the Organization, a GM position ain't the answer. He's doing too much damage. Fedetenko = Ukrainian. BAD, BAD, BAD. We all know (as per my man, Bob) that the only good hockey players are either Americans or Canadians. Europeans = BAD BAD BAD. :blink:

All League
    QUOTE (Gang Green Girl Posted on Jun 11 2004, 08:59 AM)

While I understand Snider's PR need to hire Bobby (now known as Bob) Clarke somewhere in the Organization, a GM position ain't the answer. He's doing too much damage. Fedetenko = Ukrainian. BAD, BAD, BAD. We all know (as per my man, Bob) that the only good hockey players are either Americans or Canadians. Europeans = BAD BAD BAD.

Bobby Clarke (oh I forgot he wants to be called Bob-excuse me) seems to have mellowed a bit at least-he brought in Malakhov to try to win it all this year. He actually was your best defensemen in the playoff games I saw.

Originally posted by faba@Jun 11 2004, 09:03 AM
    QUOTE (Gang Green Girl Posted on Jun 11 2004, 08:59 AM)

While I understand Snider's PR need to hire Bobby (now known as Bob) Clarke somewhere in the Organization, a GM position ain't the answer. He's doing too much damage. Fedetenko = Ukrainian. BAD, BAD, BAD. We all know (as per my man, Bob) that the only good hockey players are either Americans or Canadians. Europeans = BAD BAD BAD.

Bobby Clarke (oh I forgot he wants to be called Bob-excuse me) seems to have mellowed a bit at least-he brought in Malakhov to try to win it all this year. He actually was your best defensemen in the playoff games I saw.
    The only reason we got Malakov is because BOB Clarke didn't read his bio and thought he was a Canadian.

True...he was our best defensive player and, while he did play WELL, we didn't have ANYONE else!!!! Lotsa injuries!!! Wonder if Desjardins will be back next year...he's gettin' mighty old. We got rid of Therien...which was probably the BEST move of Clarke's GM career (albeit YEARS TOO LATE). With that said, I still love my #16.

Honestly CJ, PC was a great player at what he did. Considering the offensive numbers he put up, I'd say he was just as easy as a slam dunk Hall of Famer as Borque. I was jiving you a bit, but you've got admit one more thing regarding PC that will always taint his career in people's minds: His gypsy, poor season in Philly, Carolina and Boston at the end were pathetic for such a great player (NHL's version of Ricky Henderson).

In Ray Borque's final NHL seasons, he was still playing at an All-Star level and really did lead the Av's to their 2nd title. Without Borque, no way they win. Bourque had 59 points that season (Neidermayer just won the Norris with less than that) and he led ALL NHL players in minutes played.

PC, meanwhile, spent his last 10 seasons, or so, floating from team to team, putting up reasonable offensive numbers, yet playing poor defensively. It was his obvious defensive shortcomings that got him traded from both Pittsburgh and LA right before those teams went to the finals (he did play for Pitt in the 1st Cup).....Also, in PC's final seasons, he was playing in front of 5,000 fans on some joke team in North Carloina, while Borque was leading the Av's.

For a while what Edmonton had going was magical. I guess, looking back, PC really started the downfall of that franchise when he forced the trade to that terrible Pittsburgh team (rights to Chris Joseph and Craig Simpson in exchange?)......After that, Gretzky forced the trade out, then Mess, then... well you know :blink:

CJ, both are deserving, but remember I'm from the state of Connecticut. Borque is an icon here, so............

Originally posted by CanadaJet@Jun 10 2004, 10:09 AM

Borque, Coffey, Chelios, Leetch. These guys were game-changers at the D position during their careers. Murphy was a level below, but he also was a key individual on the ice.

They all deserve the HOF.