Thread: Backup QB Gannon?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My only concern is another article puts us at the top of the dead money society,so how can WE afford to pay him if he turns down low $$ from Oakland?I say it's another one of those deals that would be nice(Brooks and the other nobody make me nervous if Chad gets hurt)but probably ain't gonna happen..

Gannon alert in Green land

Memo to Jets fans: Keep an eye on the Rich Gannon situation in Oakland. If Gannon winds up being released, the Jets, still without an experienced backup, could be tempted to make a play for the former MVP.
    GM Terry Bradway and offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, who coached Gannon in Kansas City, are huge admirers. The feeling is mutual. The Jets say they're happy with Brooks Bollinger and Ricky Ray as their backups - no joke - but it would be hard for them to ignore Gannon.
    Sure, it's a longshot, but if Gannon doesn't have any starting opportunities, why not make a one-year pit stop with the Jets? Here's how it could go down:
    Kerry Collins plays well in the preseason and the Raiders ask Gannon ($7 million salary) to take a significant pay cut. If he refuses, he gets cut the week of the season opener. (See Lawyer Milloy, Patriots, 2003.)
    Why wait until September? Two reasons: It reduces Gannon's leverage and it makes it harder for him to make a soft landing in Tampa Bay, home of ex-Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    it doesn't matter how much dead money we have, just how much cap space we have left.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the good thing about having him as a back up is he knows slackets offence and could help chad learn more!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired[/i]@Jun 14 2004, 03:13 PM
    [b] it doesn't matter how much dead money we have, just how much cap space we have left. [/b][/quote]
    i like your sig .....hopefully we get to see him lay someone out like that with us

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets[/i]@Jun 14 2004, 05:16 PM
    [b] I like your sig .....hopefully we get to see him lay someone out like that with us [/b][/quote]
    BAMMMM I agree we have had an LBer that can do that since Bryan Cox

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by SoFlaJets+Jun 14 2004, 03:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (SoFlaJets @ Jun 14 2004, 03:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--spjets[/i]@Jun 14 2004, 05:16 PM
    [b] I like your sig .....hopefully we get to see him lay someone out like that with us [/b][/quote]
    BAMMMM I agree we have had an LBer that can do that since Bryan Cox [/b][/quote]
    thx. it took a while to get that down to a decent-sized GIF... did it while i wasted 3 hrs. at work on a sat. waiting for alarm repair man...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it would make sense for the Jets to offer a pick for a veteran OG, QB, CB before they are released (i.e. Gannon, Mike McKensie)?? :unsure:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired+Jun 14 2004, 03:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (isired @ Jun 14 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -SoFlaJets@Jun 14 2004, 03:22 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--spjets[/i]@Jun 14 2004, 05:16 PM
    BAMMMM I agree we have had an LBer that can do that since Bryan Cox [/b][/quote]
    thx. it took a while to get that down to a decent-sized GIF... did it while i wasted 3 hrs. at work on a sat. waiting for alarm repair man... [/b][/quote]
    i just sat here and watchd it for about 5 minutes, who is that diedrich from nebraska that he&#39;s destroying? anyway, great sig.

VILMA WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by flashlight1+Jun 14 2004, 02:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (flashlight1 @ Jun 14 2004, 02:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -isired@Jun 14 2004, 03:34 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -SoFlaJets@Jun 14 2004, 03:22 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--spjets[/i]@Jun 14 2004, 05:16 PM
    thx. it took a while to get that down to a decent-sized GIF... did it while i wasted 3 hrs. at work on a sat. waiting for alarm repair man... [/b][/quote]
    i just sat here and watchd it for about 5 minutes, who is that diedrich from nebraska that he&#39;s destroying? anyway, great sig.

VILMA WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s Dahraan Diedrick, former Huskers running back. He was pretty good in college, but I don&#39;t think he was picked in the 2003 Draft. I could be wrong though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gannon is on record as saying he would not be a backup&#33;

LL