Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Detroit Red Wings

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hasek expects to join a new club NHL in a few weeks

June 17, 2004
    PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) -- Goaltender Dominik Hasek won't play for the Detroit Red Wings next season.

Hasek said Ottawa is one of the teams he would be interested in joining, and added he wants to be on a club that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

``The decision should be taken ... no later than the beginning of July,'' he said in Thursday's edition of the Sport daily. ``At the moment I can only confirm that I won't be in Detroit next season.''

Guns this is no big surprise and really who in Detroit would want him back. After being hurt and Joseph and Legace playing well this was a decision by Hasek that Detroit could have told him see ya!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    F Hasek. Don't let the door hit him in the ass.

Ever since he pulled his coming out of retirement stunt I could care less about the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meanwhile Khabibulin is thrilled that the Lightning picked up his option. He also will not be playing in the World Cup. He is extremely disapointed with the preparation of the Russian team, or lack of it. He said it was like that last time, and he is just not going to go through that again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It amazes me that Hasek said that he wanted to play for a Cup contender. WTF are the Red Wings????

How old is this dude? Like 50???? If this doesn't have New York Rangers written all over it, I don't know what does!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch it GGG
    Sather would probably sign somebody like Gump Worsley anyway-nothing like an experienced 70 year old goalie and a fat contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    faba: Maybe Sather can see what Eddie Giacomin is up to these days. :wacko:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Jun 18 2004, 04:33 PM
    It amazes me that Hasek said that he wanted to play for a Cup contender. WTF are the Red Wings????

How old is this dude? Like 50???? If this doesn't have New York Rangers written all over it, I don't know what does!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see it now. Hasek signs with the rangers for 5 years, 105 Million......all guarenteed. Then leaves after the first season and collects his pay for another 4 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1834914

Its official - Hasek to the Ottawa Senators:

OTTAWA -- Dominik Hasek is thinking Stanley Cup again, and that's exactly why the Ottawa Senators signed one of the game's top goaltenders.

"I wanted to play for a team that I believe can win the Cup," Hasek said at a news conference Tuesday. "And I believe that with my help, all together, we can do it."

Hasek, who won his first Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings in 2002, signed a one-year, $2 million deal with an option year at $3 million. Should Ottawa win the Stanley Cup, Hasek would earn $4 million in bonuses, The Canadian Press reported.

"We've gotten a goaltender who's one of the best," Senators general manager John Muckler said. "This is an exciting time for the hockey team."

The move was not a surprise. Ottawa received permission from Detroit to speak with Hasek even before the Czech star became an unrestricted free agent last Thursday.

"Ottawa was my first choice, and I was very excited when my agent called back and said they were very interested in me," said Hasek, who is 39. "And today I'm here."

Hasek, who played just 14 games last season for Detroit because of a groin injury, could be a good fit for Ottawa. The Senators have a talented roster and Muckler was the GM at Buffalo for five seasons when the goalie was earning his nickname "The Dominator."

The Senators welcomed Hasek by having Jason Spezza give up his No. 39 to the goalie. Spezza will now wear No. 19.

It became clear the Senators were very interested in Hasek when they traded goalie Patrick Lalime to the St. Louis Blues during the NHL entry draft on June 27.

Hasek is a two-time league MVP and won six Vezina Trophies, given to the league's best goaltender, in nine years with the Sabres. He also led the Czech Republic to the gold medal in the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

He joined the Red Wings in July 2001, winning his first Stanley Cup 11 months later, then retiring.

He ended his one year-retirement last season, going 8-3-2 with a 2.21 goals against average and a .907 save percentage before the injury ended his year. He had groin surgery this spring.

"It was disappointing last year but at the same time, I know I can still play," Hasek said. "I know I'll be coming back and be in better shape than I was last year."

The Red Wings told Hasek they weren't interested in having him back, deciding to stick with Curtis Joseph and Manny Legace.

Meanwhile, Muckler needed to make a change in goal after Lalime played poorly in Ottawa's first-round playoff loss to rival Toronto this spring.

Muckler met with Hasek over a month ago to discuss the possibility of the goalie signing with Ottawa.

"The excitement on his face, it convinced me that this was the right way to go," Muckler said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He beat a guy severely in a pick-up hockey game and got banished from playing in the entire country. What a disaster the Wings had. They didnít have any choice but to sign him because he "retired" with option years left. He came back for the cash and he really put a hurt on a veteran, mature lockerroom. Then, once he announced that he was done for the year, he started attending team functions and stuff. Ken Holland, GM, told him "thanks, but no thank" got half his salary back without going to arbitration and told Dominik that he wasnít in the plans for the Wings and he was welcome to look elsewhere.

When healthy, still on of the most feared goalies around, I wont deny it. Plus, on an offensive juggernaut like Ottawa, could be tough.

Wings resigned Shanahan and have avoided arbitration with all of their players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hasek wore out his welcome very quickly in Detroit-I do not think any body in front office or fans are sad he is not returning.
    Legace and Joseph were not the reasons Detroit did not win last year. They got outworked by Calgary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Jul 26 2004, 02:27 PM
    Hasek wore out his welcome very quickly in Detroit-I do not think any body in front office or fans are sad he is not returning.
    Legace and Joseph were not the reasons Detroit did not win last year. They got outworked by Calgary.
    Thatís all it was. Cujo was fine in net when Anaheim beat the Wings 2 years back and was outstanding this year (losing game 5-6 to Calgary 1-0 and 1-0 in OT). He had a gaudy 1.55 gaa. ANY team would take that in the playoffs.

You donít hate Hasek, but I think he really put the Wings in a difficult postion: Paying 14million a year for goalies. Ouch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red Wings have certainly over the last 8 or 9 years put up the money and had alot more success than my Rangers in putting together a winning team.
    They have been able to work in some young players in the mix though where the Rangers have not groomed any young players to speak of.
    The root of their dismal record over the last 7 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Wings have a very nice core of young players and even more scattered around the world getting experience. They have superior European scouts and ofter draft these youngsters far down in the draft, let them get seasoned in local clubs back home then bring em over for training camp.

They have spent the money, but not in a typical reckless fashion. When they pick up guys at the trade deadline they sign them long term instead of the typical playoff rental.

Still, I havent heard the owner bellyaching about money lost and thatís good. The city demands a winner and he is willing to pay to get it. My sympathy is for the smaller market teams that cant afford the players and lose money, even if they have a small budget already.

Our Rangers have a long hall ahead.