Thread: Bertuzzi

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Canucks wing Todd Bertuzzi has been charged with assault for his hit on Colorado's Steve Moore in March. The hit left Moore with a broken neck and prompted the NHL to suspend Bertuzzi indefinitely, costing him $502,000 of his $6.8 million salary. The charges were announced in Vancouver after an investigation that lasted four months.

I read that maximum penalty would be 10 years in jail. It is about time that someone gets proper punishment and held responsible for their action whether they are athlete or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still not convinced that this matter should be taken up with anyone other than the NHL. What he did was horrible and cheap, no doubt. But Bertuzzi isn't a thug and it was his bad luck that Moore was seriously injured. I say keep him out of the League until Moore steps on the ice.

Thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG
    Us hockey fans know that hockey is a physical , violent sport-part of the game. This went beyond that with physical injury that Moore may not be able to ever play again or worse than that live a normal life.
    I say throw the book at Bertuzzi and any other that does this type of physical assault.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    faba: I get your point....and I'm all for suspending him from the League until Moore is able to play again, but once Moore is back, I think Bertuzzi should come back. It was senseless and stupid....but also a fluke.

If Moore can't play ever again, then neither should he. A lesson needs to be set.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG
    I will agree with your logic on pure hockey standpoint-tit for tat to use old expression.
    It is just an incident like this we need to set an example that this is not going to be tolerated in sports or society to malaciously beat on another person so that is why I am in favor of Bertuzzi getting at least some criminal charge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    faba: Let me say that I'm not a Bertuzzi fan. Nor do I dislike him.

Did he intend to hurt Moore? I dunno, I doubt it. Did he want to take him out? Yes. But to set an example of something that was clearly an unfortunate accident can only further hurt the League.

I'm on the fence. Something should be done, just not sure if Bertuzzi should be brought up on felony charges.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG
    The thing that is really strange about this is Bertuzzi was never a tough guy or goon. Totally unexpected from him.
    This is another bad mark for hockey and they do not need any more bad publicity with a potential strike in September.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, my point. If the hit had come from someone like Tie Domi or Darcy Tucker, I would feel more strongly about punishment.

Being a Flyers fan and having had enough misery in my lifetime, I welcome a strike!!! It's coming at the right time...I need a rest from hockey (not to mention the fact that the F'ers are going nowhere fast).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    GGG
    I will let your Flyers and devotion to the Flyers Rest in peace!
    We will commisurate together you for your Flyers and myself with the Rangers (especially after the last 7 years).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds fair!!...you won more recently, but at least we make the playoffs consistently. Both teams s*ck.

The market is gonna be crazy soon with all the high priced free agents.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should remember all this commentary the next time we witness a pitcher throwing at a guys head. <_<

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with GGG&#39;s stance on the issue - suspend Bertuzzi heavily, but I don&#39;t think the law should get involved.

Its going to create a slippery slope in the NHL and other sports. As CanadaJet mentions, what DOES happen then when a pitcher intentionally throws at a batter and, God forbid, kills him or at least hurts him seriously? Instead of MLB punishing him, should the law step in and charge him?

I think professional sports leagues should be able to police their own, and take their own severe disciplinary actions in cases like this.