Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Trying to deal Kidd

  1. #1
    TomShane
    Guest
    Isn't that like dealing Pennington to keep Anthony Becht?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jun 28 2004, 09:17 AM
    Isn't that like dealing Pennington to keep Anthony Becht?
    The only possible reason to keep Martin, and that means giving him the 6 or 7 year max $$ deal, is that Kidd will be well past his prime in 3 years, yet will still have a couple of seasons on the books for around $20 million each. So they would rather the younger guy.

    Sounds "penny smart and pound foolish".

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    ONLY if we can't get someone to take kittles.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenyon Martin is a great player, but he wont be nearly as effective without Kidd orchestrating everything. And yes, I know they survived without Kidd last year. But that puts them a notch above the mediocre teams and into the top 3 Eastern teams.

    If I was a Net fan I'd better hope that Kittles gets dealt and they keep Kidd & re-sign Martin. Or worst case scenario, sign and trade Martin for Nene.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Icer@Jun 29 2004, 06:17 PM
    Kenyon Martin is a great player, but he wont be nearly as effective without Kidd orchestrating everything. And yes, I know they survived without Kidd last year. But that puts them a notch above the mediocre teams and into the top 3 Eastern teams.

    If I was a Net fan I'd better hope that Kittles gets dealt and they keep Kidd & re-sign Martin. Or worst case scenario, sign and trade Martin for Nene.
    You're right. Look at it this way. Who is available as a free agent point guard this year? I don't know them all, but the names that pop up now are Fisher and Hudson (Troy). I'd rather Kidd over either one any day.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kittles and his contract will be gone. With Deke finally coming off the books, that should let the Nets resign KMart and still stay clear of luxury tax. I keep hearing conflicting reports, but despite the teams' claim otherwise, the scribes insist that Ratner is in a cost-cutting mode. I hope not, but maybe moving to Brooklyn is more a priority than fielding a championship team.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JumbalayaJet@Jun 30 2004, 07:29 AM
    Kittles and his contract will be gone. With Deke finally coming off the books, that should let the Nets resign KMart and still stay clear of luxury tax. I keep hearing conflicting reports, but despite the teams' claim otherwise, the scribes insist that Ratner is in a cost-cutting mode. I hope not, but maybe moving to Brooklyn is more a priority than fielding a championship team.
    I thought that Deke's contract was still against the Nets salary cap through this season. So this would make trading Kittles imperative.

  8. #8
    TomShane
    Guest
    KMart couldn't get his own shot in a lay-up line. If he thinks he's getting the max from someone, good luck. I'd let him walk, start Nena Krstic at PF and sign Q Richardson to play SG. Then I'd take Kittles out in the backyard and shoot him.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jun 30 2004, 09:16 PM
    KMart couldn't get his own shot in a lay-up line. If he thinks he's getting the max from someone, good luck. I'd let him walk, start Nena Krstic at PF and sign Q Richardson to play SG. Then I'd take Kittles out in the backyard and shoot him.
    The sad thing is that someone will probably offer Kenyon close to max $$$$. Then the Nets have a major decision. Do they match, or let things go the "Steve Nash" route.

    Tough call. A young talented player, who is solid defensively, and excels in the open floor. Tough call.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Holmdel
    Posts
    2,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    All The reports that you read is Ratner is more concerned about cost cutting than keeping this core team together. They are trying to dump Kittles and his salary - Martin they do not seem willing to give him maximum contract that he probably gets as an offer.
    If Ratner gets his stadium built in Brooklyn that he wishes for-he may get that and piss off all the Net fans who will not travel there.

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jun 28 2004, 10:17 AM
    Isn't that like dealing Pennington to keep Anthony Becht?
    No. Chad is too busy reading playbooks on his honeymoon to beat up his wife

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us