Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: steak marinade

Hall Of Fame
    One spice friendly, openminded Scotsman is looking for any tips on how to soak his steak for grilling tomorrow.

Just looking for any fresh ideas.

Hall Of Fame
    Get about 3-4 lbs. of good flank steak(about 3 pieces). Marinate it overnight in a ziplock in 1 bottle of terriyaki marinade. Grill on the cue the next day. OUTSTANDING, and simple.

All Pro
    filet mignon or T-Bone or any good cut for that matter - yuo can marintae in Jim Beam Steak Suace or Peter Lugers - I woudl marinate at least 12 hrs or more

Bitter
    put your steaks in a tupperware container. rub some crushed garlic over the top then completely submerge them in your favorite beer.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    [b] put your steaks in a tupperware container. rub some crushed garlic over the top then completely submerge them in your favorite beer. [/b][/quote]
    really i nevertried that - how much of ythe beer flavor is lost?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

SJ..........I use McCormicks Grill Mates...........Montreal Steak Marinade.....it's pretty good............

Call Gainzo though, he has a good marinade too............you know those Australians and their BBQ's.......... :P

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djaparz+Jul 3 2004, 09:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (djaparz @ Jul 3 2004, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    [b] put your steaks in a tupperware container. rub some crushed garlic over the top then completely submerge them in your favorite beer. [/b][/quote]
    really i nevertried that - how much of ythe beer flavor is lost? [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s not so much the beer flavor in the steaks, the beer just makes the steaks super tender. I&#39;m one of those people that likes to taste the meat and not a ton of herbs and spices. True story. My father in law buys a cow every year. For 3 months he feeds this cow beer with it&#39;s grain then he has it butchered and has a huge bbq. It&#39;s the best beef you will ever eat.

Hall Of Fame
    take a couple venison steaks and soak in terioki(sp) over night &#33;&#33; grill em and YUMMMMMMMY&#33;&#33;&#33; is all i can say&#33;&#33;

All League
    Charter JI Member

NEVER marinate a good steak&#33; That&#39;s an unforgiveable waste of one of the world&#39;s most precious treats. Grill it with nothing more than salt, pepper, and perhaps some garlic. Don&#39;t put steak sauce on it afterwards, either&#33;

Now, for a cheap steak (chuck, top round, etc.) mix soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and a splash or two of white vinegar. Marinate the dead cow in that overnight.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] NEVER marinate a good steak&#33; [/b][/quote]
    True.......that is the first rule.............

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jul 3 2004, 10:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jul 3 2004, 10:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -djaparz@Jul 3 2004, 09:30 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    It&#39;s not so much the beer flavor in the steaks, the beer just makes the steaks super tender. I&#39;m one of those people that likes to taste the meat and not a ton of herbs and spices. True story. My father in law buys a cow every year. For 3 months he feeds this cow beer with it&#39;s grain then he has it butchered and has a huge bbq. It&#39;s the best beef you will ever eat. [/b][/quote]
    Only in Kansas. :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Jul 3 2004, 10:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Jul 3 2004, 10:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -huskeralk@Jul 3 2004, 10:45 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -djaparz@Jul 3 2004, 09:30 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    It&#39;s not so much the beer flavor in the steaks, the beer just makes the steaks super tender. I&#39;m one of those people that likes to taste the meat and not a ton of herbs and spices. True story. My father in law buys a cow every year. For 3 months he feeds this cow beer with it&#39;s grain then he has it butchered and has a huge bbq. It&#39;s the best beef you will ever eat. [/b][/quote]
    Only in Kansas. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    But, were not in Kansas anymore......... :P

Thanks Guns&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 09:57 AM
    [b]
    That&#39;s not true. I&#39;m sure it happens in Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri as well. We&#39;re just some innovative mo fos around here. :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    [b]put your steaks in a tupperware container. rub some crushed garlic over the top then completely submerge them in your favorite beer.[/b][/quote]
    As far as T-Bone&#39;s & NY Strips I agree with Husk but for a 3 to 4 lb London Broil, I normally take four or five cloves of garlic and cut them into pieces (do not crush or chop finely). I would then poke holes into the Broil and stuff the pieces of garlic into the holes. Put the Broil into a tupperware container and then just cover it with a decent burgundy. The broil should be submerged in Burgundy 3/4 of the way to the top of the meat. Let sit over nite til it&#39;s time to put on the grill the next day.

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwithin+Jul 3 2004, 10:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Greenwithin @ Jul 3 2004, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 10:28 AM
    [b]put your steaks in a tupperware container. rub some crushed garlic over the top then completely submerge them in your favorite beer.[/b][/quote]
    As far as T-Bone&#39;s & NY Strips I agree with Husk but for a 3 to 4 lb London Broil, I normally take four or five cloves of garlic and cut them into pieces (do not crush or chop finely). I would then poke holes into the Broil and stuff the pieces of garlic into the holes. Put the Broil into a tupperware container and then just cover it with a decent burgundy. The broil should be submerged in Burgundy 3/4 of the way to the top of the meat. Let sit over nite til it&#39;s time to put on the grill the next day. [/b][/quote]
    I saw that trick on Emeril one day. I&#39;ve been meaning to try it but haven&#39;t got around to it. My wife isn&#39;t a red meat eater so I don&#39;t cook the stuff much around the house.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A Good Steak does not need much to enhance its flavor. If you want to Kick it up a notch, I use Emeril&#39;s Steak Rub. Just a little bit on one side.

HAPPY 4th&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jul 3 2004, 11:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jul 3 2004, 11:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 09:57 AM
    [b]
    That&#39;s not true. I&#39;m sure it happens in Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri as well. We&#39;re just some innovative mo fos around here. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Been done in PA Too&#33;&#33;&#33; The best bacon, ham, pork etc is when you pick your own pig too&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I might have a Pig Roast this summer&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Maybe try to convince Randy to do a pig at 16H this year.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree about a good steak not needing flavour to enhance. However, I wanted to try something different for a change. Currently I have a bad boy soaking in some Tennents Velvet Scottish Ale with some garlic rubbed into it, and a little cayenne pepper for a little kick. And a dash of salt. I&#39;ll report back tomorrow as to how it tastes.

Happy 4th, everyone&#33;

Yours aye,

ScottishJet

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ScottishJet[/i]@Jul 3 2004, 08:07 PM
    [b] I agree about a good steak not needing flavour to enhance. However, I wanted to try something different for a change. Currently I have a bad boy soaking in some Tennents Velvet Scottish Ale with some garlic rubbed into it, and a little cayenne pepper for a little kick. And a dash of salt. I&#39;ll report back tomorrow as to how it tastes.

Happy 4th, everyone&#33;

Yours aye,

ScottishJet [/b][/quote]
    Good choice. Don&#39;t be surprised if the steak looks a little funny in the morning though. Once it hits that grill it will be all good. B)

Hall Of Fame
    When I cook a steak and feel like being different, I smother it in butter then coat it with Montreal Steak Seasoning.

The taste can&#39;t be touched I tell ya.