Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A personal story...what i got for the 4th

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lived in Florida for 19 years and in Texas for the past 8 years (not to mention Panama for 5, Venezuela for 5, and on and on). Also lived in New York for 5 years as a kid (thus a Jets, Knicks, Yankee, and Rangers fan). Anyhow, I probably have killed 15-20 snakes in my life and hate all of them to this day. I was taking my boat out of the lake a few years ago to wash it at home. When I lifted the seats in the bow of the boat, I see a very large snake skin. Thought nothing of it until a few minutes later a 4-5 ft. moccasin slithers across the drivers seat, the same one I was sitting on while driving the boat just a few minutes earlier. We called the police, fire department, and finally animal control (it was a Sunday, so animal control was hard to reach). The snake slithered it's way into the engine bay were it decided to hide. None of us was going after it. I told the ploice to shoot it, but they couldn't do it. Eventually, the animal control guy gets to the house (old pick up truck, a beer in his hand, skinny as a rail) and sticks his head in the engine bay. We thought, that's the end of this guy! Anyhow, he gets his snake stick, reaches in and pulls out this enormous snake. Rather than kill it, he bags it up so he can release it in another lake (I asked him which one so I could avoid going there). To this day I get the chills when I think of what might have happened if that snake had made it's way to me while I was on the lake driving. God, I hate those creatures. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow such snake hatred....

are you supposed to kill them? i dont have a clue. i just let em go into my yard hoping they will go to my neighbors yard.

I think mine was a water moccasin as well. they arent venomous so big deal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy lives in Florida (tampa area) and told me a story about some kid on waterskis landing in a nest of baby snakes (water mocs)on the shore of a lake, killing him.

You FLA guys ever hear this story? Creeped me out. I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Water Moccasin is a very venomous snake, one of the most deadly in North America. It is highly dangerous to people and their pets. If you should ever encounter one of these snakes and think that it has bitten someone, seek medical help immediately.

...just pasted that off a google search, be careful out there DK!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it must be a different snake because my snake guide says its non venomous.

thanks for the tip. either way, they are ALL venomous in my eyes

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the water moccasin is a very venomous snake. It's also a very aggressive snake which is why I have chills when I think of my situation on the boat. While I lived in Florida, I heard several stories of skiers landing in snake nests, always with a less than happy ending. Baby mocs are more poisonous than adults. We always stayed away from any areas along the shore of the lakes (especially if there were water lilies or weeds) when we were skiing.

Dick......if you see any in your yard and identify it as a moccasin, KILL IT, but be very careful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Shadetree[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 04:11 PM
    [b] My buddy lives in Florida (tampa area) and told me a story about some kid on waterskis landing in a nest of baby snakes (water mocs)on the shore of a lake, killing him.

You FLA guys ever hear this story? Creeped me out. I [/b][/quote]
    never heard it but im sure its happened.

thats why i avoid lakes like the plague. gimme the salt water and the sharks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dickkotite[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 04:27 PM
    [b] it must be a different snake because my snake guide says its non venomous.

thanks for the tip. either way, they are ALL venomous in my eyes [/b][/quote]
    snakes and those funky ass lookin spiders scare the crap out of me....i've been hearin of alot of spider bites lately too

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow yous guys are skarin mee! I was out in Calif.
    hiking once, I was skippin along in some high grass
    when I almost stepped on on of em, he was a little
    small for a snake, but I nearly jump outtamah skin! :o

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the scariest part of your story DK is that you have a min pin!!! ;)

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, here's another true story for you. My friend is really into the outdoors and is always hunting and fishing. Well one day he is out at the lake fishing and finds a couple baby diamondbacks. Now most people would let them be but not this guy. Him and his roomate proceed to catch these two snakes and take them to their house to keep as pets. Well I ran into him the other day and he had his arm all wrapped up. I was like what in the hell happened. He told me he was trying to move one of the snakes and it bit him on the hand. He went to the emergency room and everything but I guess it was small enough that it couldn't do alot of damage. He said he could feel the venom flowing up his arm though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 12:01 PM
    [b] So we are getting the house ready for a party/BBQ at the house and straightening
    out the yard and all and my wife asks me for help cleaning the boat out in case anyone wants to ride,
    I live on a lake and have a small peddle boat in the yard....anyway she washes out the boat and needs
    me to flip it over to get teh
    water out and she can hose it down so I turn it over and here is what I find..........................

[img]http://www.pestproducts.com/images/pyrsnk.jpg[/img]

no big deal I think, I keep the boat hoisted up and tell her to run and get my

machete from teh garage while this little ****er is staring at me about 2 feet
    away from me, on the way back my wife decides she cant get close enough
    to hand me my machete and starts freakin out crying and shaking, having a
    panic attack (she is scared to death of snakes) finally she throws me the
    machete and I chop the fockers head off, I throw him in the back of my truck
    and go down the block to teh pet stor and find out the bastid is a venomous
    Rattle Snake, let me tell you this wildlife crap is not for a city boy like me

I was thinking maybe I should get a BB gun like husker to rid myself of these vermin [/b][/quote]
    I would have shot it. :lol:

I'm scared to death of those things.

Nice work with the Machete MBG.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 07:48 PM
    [b] I would have shot at it. :lol:

I'm scared to death of those things.

Nice work with the Machete MBG. [/b][/quote]
    Sure you would have shot at it but we all know you're a lousy shot. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jul 7 2004, 08:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jul 7 2004, 08:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 07:48 PM
    [b] I would have shot at it. :lol:

I&#39;m scared to death of those things.

Nice work with the Machete MBG. [/b][/quote]
    Sure you would have shot at it but we all know you&#39;re a lousy shot. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s why they have more than 1 round in the magazine. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sayin U didnt wack teh snake, but U had time to
    take a picture of teh thing before you chopped off his
    noggin wow....holy crap&#33; :o U dah man&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jim 325+Jul 7 2004, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jim 325 @ Jul 7 2004, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 12:20 PM
    [b] I didn&#39;t know it was a rattler until I looked him up on the computer.

I saw his tail...but these rattlers have smaller rattlers then say Diamondbacks&#33;&#33;&#33;

Still....he was a cocky bastard.....and didn&#39;t even flinch when i saw him.

He was slithering along the divider in the driveway&#33;&#33; When I walked up...he stopped and turned his head and looked right at me. [/b][/quote]
    Dude, I don&#39;t remember if it was on Old South or Old Carolina off the Island but I could not have been more than a 2 feet off the fairway, poking my 7 iron into a pile of sh*t when I heard and saw a fuc**** snake that would have had me for lunch. To this day my buddy from St Louis and myself will not look for anytihing out of the freaking fairway&#33; Mulligans have multiplied to 2 per 9. I won&#39;t even discuss the 6 foot gator like 3 feet from us on the backside of a teebox sunning himself&#33; [/b][/quote]
    That was a water moccasin

mean bastid that hangs around the golf courses down here&#33;&#33;

[img]http://www.bjphoto.com/galhi/9745.jpg[/img]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Jul 7 2004, 12:20 PM
    [b] I didn&#39;t know it was a rattler until I looked him up on the computer.

I saw his tail...but these rattlers have smaller rattlers then say Diamondbacks&#33;&#33;&#33;

Still....he was a cocky bastard.....and didn&#39;t even flinch when i saw him.

He was slithering along the divider in the driveway&#33;&#33; When I walked up...he stopped and turned his head and looked right at me. [/b][/quote]
    He said I dare ya....I tripple dawg dare ya&#33;&#33;... :lol: Those are some mean bastids.... ;) . Your a Carolina boy you should be kinda used to them. Being a Carolina girl... B) :P ...I know I am....just wanted to point that out to ya..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for the snake.I&#39;m not saying i want you or your family to get hurt in any way&#33; I just dig snakes had a couple.And I live in vegas and run into rattlers all the time.They have a bad rap like sharks.As a boy at the lake my step dad and I would go catch snakes and lizards.My 1st snake was a little gardener I caught in santa cruz.Most people dont deserver to get bit.they accidently step on or scare them.I did deserve it and it never happened.Now i&#39;m a lot more careful playing the desert courses here in Vegas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    jets28 you`re a girl &#33;KOOL :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cell Phone Call Saves Girls Surrounded By Rattlesnakes
    Rattlesnake Trapper Finds 25 To 30 Snakes In Area

POSTED: 1:41 pm EDT July 8, 2004
    UPDATED: 1:58 pm EDT July 8, 2004

LIVINGSTON, Montana -- Two Colorado girls vacationing in Montana used a cell phone to call for help after finding themselves on a hillside infested with dozens of rattlesnakes.

Izzy Effler, 13, and Morgan Beadwell, 12, climbed a hill in Livingston to try to get cell phone reception.

However, while climbing, Izzy said a rattlesnake struck at her.

Morgan also reportedly stepped on a snake.

The girls then discovered that they were surrounded by six rattlers and used the phone to call for help, according to the report.

Brian Effler and his nephew eventually rescued the girls after shooting two of the snakes.

A rattlesnake trapper said he saw 25 to 30 snakes in the area.

The girls were not injured.