Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Addition of Barton

Veteran
    How much of an impact does everyone think that Barton will have on our defense, and how durable is he? I don't know too much about him.

All League
    he'll have a huge impact. he's a good linebacker with pretty good speed. he's very durable. he was on the field all 3 downs for oakland because of his versatility. the thought of barton, vilma, and hobson reminds me of the jets in the 90s with lewis, jones, and anyone that played the other spot(s). this linebacking corps will be a good one, and barton will be the leader. ;)

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Zombo[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 12:48 PM
    [b]
    he'll have a huge impact. [/b][/quote]

He will perform as well as any 2-tier FA would.

Steady performance, with a big play here and there, but nothing spectacular over the course of a 16 game schedule.

Is he an upgrade to the Jets LB corps. You bet, but a [b]huge impact[/b] is slightly optomistic.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

a definite upgrade...LB as a whole s/b a much stonger spot for us this season

If he can at least keep his coverage up. That would be a drastic improvement. But is he worth the money we threw at him?

All League
    Did we even give him that much?

If he has a year like 2002, saying he had a big impact would be an UNDERSTATEMENT... Hopefully Barton can come through big along with everyone else.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JOSH_EVANS_FAN[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 01:15 PM
    [b]
    But is he worth the money we threw at him? [/b][/quote]

I can't remember the details, but didn't the Jets sign Barton to a pretty friendly cap deal?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I just don't think there were a ton of options for us at that spot, Barton s/b a pretty good player for us, and if I recall he was excited to be a Jet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Here's the 411 on Barton, enjoy. ;)

Eric Barton #50
    Position: LB
    Years Pro: 5
    Draft Date: 1999
    Draft Team: Oakland Raiders
    Born: 09/29/1977
    Hometown: Alexandria, VA
    College: Maryland

BIO

Pro Career

Young, quick and talented linebacker who has seen action at linebacker and is also a special teams standout...Has played in 36 games with four starts...

College Career

Four-year letterman and three-year starter who finished his career in fourth place on Maryland's all-time tackle chart...Led Atlantic Coast Conference in solo tackles as a junior and senior...Recorded more than 100 tackles as a sophomore, junior and senior...Reached double figures in tackles in 15 of last 17 games...Started the last 33 games of his career...First-team All-ACC selection who led the conference in total tackles (159) and average tackles per game (14.5) in 1998...Was two-time ACC Defensive Player of the Week, earning the honors for career-high 22 tackle effort vs. North Carolina and 18 tackle performance against Duke...Had eight games with at least 14 tackles...Led the ACC with 85 solo tackles and finished third in the league in overall stops (134) in 1997...A total of 48 of his tackles came during a four-week span when he wore a cast on his right hand... Registered career-high 17 tackles vs. North Carolina...Had eight or more games with 10 or more total stops...Named honorable mention All-ACC linebacker as a sophomore in 1996 after leading Maryland in tackles with 106...Had season-high 14 tackles vs. Duke and 13 each against West Virginia and North Carolina...Was the only true freshman to play for Maryland in 1995...Had a season-high nine tackles and one forced fumble vs. Clemson as a reserve linebacker and member of special teams...Finished his freshman season with 18 total stops...Criminology and criminal justice major.

Personal Bio

Born in Alexandria, Virginia...Lettered in football at Edison High School in his hometown...Earned All-America honors in football from the National Recruiting Advisor and All-Atlantic Coast recognition from Blue Chip Illustrated Magazine as a senior...Rated the 10th best football player in the state of Virginia by Super Prep Magazine.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetChefJR[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 01:17 PM
    [b]
    If he has a year like 2002, saying he had a big impact would be an UNDERSTATEMENT... [/b][/quote]
    gotta agree here.....I dont care if his stats were above or below par for that year...bottom line, he was a playmaker. He created ALOT of havoc whenever I saw him play. I've been hoping to catch an NFL REPLAY on NFL CHANNEL that has Barton's Raiders...no luck yet.

[b]After making $875,000 last season, Barton signed a contract that reportedly will pay him $9.8 million over the next three years. Included was a $4 million signing bonus and $1.5 million roster bonuses in March of 2005 and 2006. [/b]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jul 8 2004, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jul 8 2004, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Zombo[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 12:48 PM
    [b]
    he&#39;ll have a huge impact. [/b][/quote]

He will perform as well as any 2-tier FA would.

Steady performance, with a big play here and there, but nothing spectacular over the course of a 16 game schedule.

Is he an upgrade to the Jets LB corps. You bet, but a [b]huge impact[/b] is slightly optomistic. [/b][/quote]
    He was an integral part of the Raiders 2002 superbowl run.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 02:34 PM
    [b]
    He was an integral part of the Raiders 2002 superbowl run. [/b][/quote]

I know that.

He is two years older and coming into a new system.

He will be a very steady performer, but not a Pro-Bowl, huge impact player.

IMO, he was a very good pick-up for the Jets at a great price.

I didn&#39;t see him a ton but he was a very good player for oakland, he had a down year last year but that place was a mess and the entire team was down. On another board I post at where there are alot of Raider fans they were livid at losing him so I take that as a big positive plus we didn;&#39;t break the bank and he&#39;s still fairly young. It will be like night and day when we see the LBs this year compared to last.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jul 8 2004, 02:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jul 8 2004, 02:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ARodKeyWestJetsFan[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 02:34 PM
    [b]

I know that.

He is two years older and coming into a new system.

IMO, he was a very good pick-up for the Jets at a great price. [/b][/quote]
    the question, if you bothered to read it, was how much of an impact he&#39;d have on the JETS. well, let&#39;s see. the jets had an awful linebacking corps last year, and barton is taking sam cowart&#39;s spot. cowart had zero impact, as all his tackles took place afte the line of scrimmage. barton will make plays behind the line and help improve the run defense. he will be the anchor of the linebackers until vilma comes into his own. i call that a huge impact. when the question becomes "will barton make the pro bowl?" then look at my response then and give me your pro bowl bs. i would say that taking an above average linebacker and having him replace a subpar player is a huge impact when you consider what he will do. by the way, that 2 years older stuff is the most hilarious thing i ever heard. what is he now? 27? go smoke whatever it is you were smoking.

It&#39;s funny, but Barton is pretty much under the radar with all the stuff surrounding the Jets. The Stadium, Vilma, J-Mac, Strait, Donnie Henderson and the O-line.

Personally, when you talk about bang for your buck, it is very possible that Barton is the best new addition from 2004. This guy is all heart and can play any LB spot in our system. The contract was more than fair.

Nothing is a lock, but this guy has solid upside and a solid floor.

Our LB&#39;s are so much better than last year, it&#39;s not even funny. Of course, that&#39;s more about how bad we were last season. Could any LB crew ever be worse?

BTW, Barton is in the heart of his prime.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jul 8 2004, 02:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jul 8 2004, 02:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ARodKeyWestJetsFan[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 02:34 PM
    [b]

I know that.

[b]He is two years older [/b]and coming into a new system.

IMO, he was a very good pick-up for the Jets at a great price. [/b][/quote]
    TX come on now, Barton is a veteran with playoff/superbowl experience and he&#39;s 26 years old. So you&#39;re telling me that LB&#39;s slow down at 26? :huh: [b]You are the consimate pessimist TX. [/b]Will Barton be defensive player of the year? Probably not but he will be an impact player and a playmaker. That&#39;s not being optimistic, that&#39;s very realistic. ;)

guy is an awesome linebacker, terrific run stuffer, and sideline to sideline playmaker. he shudda made the pro bowl in 2002.

TSN rates him an "EXCELLENT PLAYER", which is 1 notch below "Pro Bowler", and I believe that Takeo Spikes is also rated an "EXCELLENT PLAYER", and he is a pro bowler.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 02:59 PM
    [b]
    TX come on now, Barton is a veteran with playoff/superbowl experience and he&#39;s 26 years old. So you&#39;re telling me that LB&#39;s slow down at 26? :huh: [b]You are the consimate pessimist TX. [/b]Will Barton be defensive player of the year? Probably not but he will be an impact player and a playmaker. That&#39;s not being optimistic, that&#39;s very realistic. ;) [/b][/quote]

Arod, my bad on the age. (I should have read Limo&#39;s 411).

Exactly where am I being pessimistic? Twice in this thread I have stated that Barton was a nice pick-up at a great price.

And Zombo, you are correct. The addition of Barton will be a huge impact [b]over what the Jets had last year[/b].

ErIcBaRtOn54,

You make him sound like Vilma?