Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Fantasy Football Commishes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in several leagues, why are people having the drafts so early (late July early Aug)??? To me this is a waste as many things happen up until the season opens and most leagues lock transactions until after the first game. To me the best time period is the week before the season starts.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 07:35 PM
    [b] I am in several leagues, why are people having the drafts so early (late July early Aug)??? To me this is a waste as many things happen up until the season opens and most leagues lock transactions until after the first game. To me the best time period is the week before the season starts. [/b][/quote]
    My league goes the day before.

July is lame.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 06:35 PM
    [b] I am in several leagues, why are people having the drafts so early (late July early Aug)??? To me this is a waste as many things happen up until the season opens and most leagues lock transactions until after the first game. To me the best time period is the week before the season starts. [/b][/quote]
    I do it in early August because there have been many times when we had to postpone the draft for many diff. reasons. It just gives a cushion. Besides what is going to change as far as star players are concerned other than injuries which can happen the first day of the regular season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like to wait till the 3rd week in august.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who in god's name would draft this early.

In both of my leagues, I like to wait until the last week of August after ther final cuts have roughly been made and any preseason injuries are know.

July is a waste.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We wait until after the last pre-season game so we know about all of the injuries (ala CP).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot like July for mock drafts and practice for their real leagues. I can't quite think enough about fantasy football just yet as I'm wrestling with my crappy baseball teams just now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never before the last preseason game. Last year we ended up with 2 guys doing the draft online and the rest in person but it still went smooth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    what else is there today...plus it offers time for delays as someone else said along with post draft trades...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Injuries are a huge part of the preseason not to mention players getting benched, released etc it really sucks when you draft a guy that is impacted then have to wait until the end of week 1 to try to get his replacement, as you have to compete with everyone else for him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats part of the fun part for me...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 08:14 AM
    [b] Injuries are a huge part of the preseason not to mention players getting benched, released etc it really sucks when you draft a guy that is impacted then have to wait until the end of week 1 to try to get his replacement, as you have to compete with everyone else for him. [/b][/quote]
    Dude what are you talking about cuts and someone else said getting benched . Who in the hell is going to draft any player that is not an elite player at his posistion. With NO chance of being cut or being benched. The hole league only drafts a total of150 players. The top 10 in each catagory. If the guys you draft get benched then you should not being playing in a competitive league with cash involved.

What do you do when the draft gets mest up like the one Green Lantern did last year that we had to redo? YOUR SCREWED FOR THE SEASON IS WHAT

4-H you freaking won 3rd place in our league. We drafted in early august just like this time. You also said many times you were done , throwing in the towel and all that within the first 4-5 weeks . I kept telling you to hang in there you did and almost won it all. I don't get it?

PS you don't have to wait until week one to replace anyone. As soon as the draft is over everyone left are free agents.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some questions for you:

Who is the starting qb for the Giants? Raiders?Cowboys? Redskins?
    Who is the starting rb for the Cowboys? Broncos? Vikings? Bills?

Some of the questions that are not answered on August 6th. As for the players not being locked that is fine, but at the same time it is a free for all to get players once someone gets hurt. Meaning if I draft Tomlinson he blows out his knee in practice and I am not by a computer, I am sh$t out of luck.

Just wondering why so early..I am in another league that is having the draft next week...downright stupid.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    or maybe you are downright stupid and don't exactly get how to draft...hmmm...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 01:30 AM
    [b] Here are some questions for you:

Who is the starting qb for the Giants? Raiders?Cowboys? Redskins?
    Who is the starting rb for the Cowboys? Broncos? Vikings? Bills?

Some of the questions that are not answered on August 6th. As for the players not being locked that is fine, but at the same time it is a free for all to get players once someone gets hurt. Meaning if I draft Tomlinson he blows out his knee in practice and I am not by a computer, I am sh$t out of luck.

Just wondering why so early..I am in another league that is having the draft next week...downright stupid. [/b][/quote]
    The questions you put forth are good ones. How ever no one will draft any players at those positions on those teams. They will all be free agent pick ups.
    Its kind of like last year drafting Warner and thenhes benched and Bolger starts or Couch,Feidler. Thats why active people like yourself win. No team that wins has the same roster they drafted. Besides you were first to get almost every single new starter last year because you stay on top of your football. You are a great GM thats why you won 2nd place and almost first.

By the way I can almost guarantee that the draft will be later in August because most of these guys can't get there s**t together in time. Again the main reason I start the draft early. To give us a little cushion. Just hang in there and if we end up drafting to soon then I will drop you if you want. I hope that wont be the case though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run a keeper league [url]www.bangahaha1.com/npfl[/url] for any interested. It's a cash league,, the prize money usualoly gets up near 2,000 bucks. We keep six, and it's a 14 team league,, so 84 players are off tghe draft board before we even begin. (I don't understaned when folks call it a keeper league then they keep 2. That isn't a keeper league,, that's a screw up the draft league.)
    Anyway, we have free agency, etc, and there is where we build the pot. We only allow each team two chances during the year to cut someone for any reason and grab from the waiver wire. (Unless a guyis hurt, if he's listed as doubtful or out, you may cut him and select from the waiver list with no penalty.)
    But other than that, once the draft is done, the list is CLOSED.
    How many NFL teams have you ever seen pick up a QB in October?
    It doesn't happen.
    So, in my league we have a motto that all must follow. Do your homework. Draft well. For that is who you're going to battle with.
    So, we never draft until the last week of August, bare minimum. It's suicidal not to.
    For a guy used to playing in leagues where fringe players aren't considered. you'd never survive in this league. Rookies are a HUGE part of our draft plans, and other players who may not be typically sought after in FF are regarded higher in this league.
    There is another feature of ths game that makes it THAT much more important to draft well, and to try to envision as many different scenarios as possible while you're picking. Injuries.
    In my game, injuries matter DURING the game. We have a 17 man roster in this league, and every week it must be submitted in the form of a depth chart. So,m you tell me who your starting QB is, and who is the first backup, and then second, etc. RBs each can have a different depth chart..
    If a guy gets hurt and leaves the game due to the injury and doesn't return, his stats are GONE, and your backup comes in, and you get whatever he produces.
    So, how many of you guys are considering drafting a guy like Mike McMahon? None of you.. but I am. See, I have Joey Harrington, and he'll be one of my six keepers. Now, if he gets hurt, I have to have a backup i know will be playing, so I can draft McMahon LATE, and cover my ass with him if Harrington goes down. (Not the best scenario, but one I am forced to look at due to the way the league runs. I don't really want to cut harrington and select from the waiver wire at that point if it happens, because i'd like to keep him thru next year, too.)

Anyway, that was fun. To sum up, never draft in July or early August.
    :lol:

~Bang

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bang[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 11:22 AM
    [b] I run a keeper league [url]www.bangahaha1.com/npfl[/url] for any interested. It's a cash league,, the prize money usualoly gets up near 2,000 bucks. We keep six, and it's a 14 team league,, so 84 players are off tghe draft board before we even begin. (I don't understaned when folks call it a keeper league then they keep 2. That isn't a keeper league,, that's a screw up the draft league.)
    Anyway, we have free agency, etc, and there is where we build the pot. We only allow each team two chances during the year to cut someone for any reason and grab from the waiver wire. (Unless a guyis hurt, if he's listed as doubtful or out, you may cut him and select from the waiver list with no penalty.)
    It doesn't happen.
    So, in my league we have a motto that all must follow. Do your homework. Draft well. For that is who you're going to battle with.
    So, we never draft until the last week of August, bare minimum. It's suicidal not to.
    For a guy used to playing in leagues where fringe players aren't considered. you'd never survive in this league. Rookies are a HUGE part of our draft plans, and other players who may not be typically sought after in FF are regarded higher in this league.
    There is another feature of ths game that makes it THAT much more important to draft well, and to try to envision as many different scenarios as possible while you're picking. Injuries.
    In my game, injuries matter DURING the game. We have a 17 man roster in this league, and every week it must be submitted in the form of a depth chart. So,m you tell me who your starting QB is, and who is the first backup, and then second, etc. RBs each can have a different depth chart..
    If a guy gets hurt and leaves the game due to the injury and doesn't return, his stats are GONE, and your backup comes in, and you get whatever he produces.
    So, how many of you guys are considering drafting a guy like Mike McMahon? None of you.. but I am. See, I have Joey Harrington, and he'll be one of my six keepers. Now, if he gets hurt, I have to have a backup i know will be playing, so I can draft McMahon LATE, and cover my ass with him if Harrington goes down. (Not the best scenario, but one I am forced to look at due to the way the league runs. I don't really want to cut harrington and select from the waiver wire at that point if it happens, because i'd like to keep him thru next year, too.)

~Bang [/b][/quote]
    In your league I agree. However this is not a keeper league and you don't have a depth chart. Even last year with CP out he was drafted in the second round. Our draft will be no different from any mock thats out righr now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jayrad01+Jul 10 2004, 01:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jayrad01 @ Jul 10 2004, 01:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bang[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 11:22 AM
    [b] I run a keeper league [url]www.bangahaha1.com/npfl[/url] for any interested. It&#39;s a cash league,, the prize money usualoly gets up near 2,000 bucks. We keep six, and it&#39;s a 14 team league,, so 84 players are off tghe draft board before we even begin. (I don&#39;t understaned when folks call it a keeper league then they keep 2. That isn&#39;t a keeper league,, that&#39;s a screw up the draft league.)
    Anyway, we have free agency, etc, and there is where we build the pot. We only allow each team two chances during the year to cut someone for any reason and grab from the waiver wire. (Unless a guyis hurt, if he&#39;s listed as doubtful or out, you may cut him and select from the waiver list with no penalty.)
    It doesn&#39;t happen.
    So, in my league we have a motto that all must follow. Do your homework. Draft well. For that is who you&#39;re going to battle with.
    So, we never draft until the last week of August, bare minimum. It&#39;s suicidal not to.
    For a guy used to playing in leagues where fringe players aren&#39;t considered. you&#39;d never survive in this league. Rookies are a HUGE part of our draft plans, and other players who may not be typically sought after in FF are regarded higher in this league.
    There is another feature of ths game that makes it THAT much more important to draft well, and to try to envision as many different scenarios as possible while you&#39;re picking. Injuries.
    If a guy gets hurt and leaves the game due to the injury and doesn&#39;t return, his stats are GONE, and your backup comes in, and you get whatever he produces.
    So, how many of you guys are considering drafting a guy like Mike McMahon? None of you.. but I am. See, I have Joey Harrington, and he&#39;ll be one of my six keepers. Now, if he gets hurt, I have to have a backup i know will be playing, so I can draft McMahon LATE, and cover my ass with him if Harrington goes down. (Not the best scenario, but one I am forced to look at due to the way the league runs. I don&#39;t really want to cut harrington and select from the waiver wire at that point if it happens, because i&#39;d like to keep him thru next year, too.)

~Bang [/b][/quote]
    In your league I agree. However this is not a keeper league and you don&#39;t have a depth chart. Even last year with CP out he was drafted in the second round. Our draft will be no different from any mock thats out righr now. [/b][/quote]
    The later you draft, the better. It&#39;s a no brainer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don&#39;t think so...in fact i think the earlier the better...in some of my past leagues we would draft as early as may...it makes the offseason that much more exciting...having to drop people you drafted high and picking someone else up...i dunno...maybe you people just don&#39;t like to have to work to play...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yourworstmemory you must have way too much time on your hands and probably have never won a league in your life...but then again you are probably one of those guys that sits by the computer during the games and picks up players as they get hurt as the rest of the world lives their lives.