Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest question about BECHT?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask this I notice that there is more animosity devoted to towards Anthony Becht than any other Jets player on this team. My question is why the bashing?

I read this board frequently and often find this becht bashing alarming and comical! I personally know Anthony and speak tremendously about his character and work ethic. I feel his ability is outstanding as well. Has he missed some passes, been tackled easily and jumped offside a few times? Sure he has as has every other TE in the league. What I find comical is all the people on the board who second guess our coaches! If Baker was so great he would get more time period!!! The coaches feel 88 is the best man for the job and the players believe in him!

No sympathy needed just wondering why he is the reason we win or lose each weekend because if he were the sole reason for us winning or losing then he is very underpaid! Once again I say concentrate on the positives, support your coaches and remember football is a team game!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks
    JammerzQB

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Anthony,

When you play for a team where the cross-town rivals biggest impact player the last few years has been Shockey - it's rough, isn't it? I can hear your retort - "But why don't people just appreciate me for my pediestrian playing? I do show up for work on time every day!"

That's true. And we admire you for it.

Of course, the fact that you tend to drop balls (just like all the other TEs) isn't offsett nearly as well by the fact that you don't really catch any either.

;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's why Becht is bashed.. pay attention, it's quite simple.

The guy was a 1st round pick- expectations were high. He wasn't some low round draft pick or practice squad pickup.

Becht's a good blocker, I'll give you that. But as is the case with most solid linemen, you only pay them any notice when they mess up.

Becht's receiving skills? spotty. He drops WAY too many passes that hit him in the hands. And when he does catch the ball, he can't break a tackle... pretty pathetic for a man his size. He looks very stiff in the open field.

Yes, Becht scores some TDs, but in Hackett's offense, that's something that's expected- the TE is getting the ball at the goal line.

The bottom line is he's an adequate TE- worthy of a first round pick? definitely not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    for a 1st rounder becht is flat out bad, and he migth be a great guy and all, but during the regular season there are very few players who seem frustrate me at least once a game.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is sooo easy :D

1. he was a 1st rd pick, and obviously not worth it
    2. He drops alot of passes
    3. he is one of the worst, or maybe the worst TE with YAC. he catches a pass (rarely), and then immediate falls down instantly like his shoe laces suddenly got tied toegether
    4. he drops alot of passes
    5. he is penningtons best friend, I thought I was penningtons best friend <_<
    6. he is a terrible blocker
    7. he drops alot of passes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Edgy[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 11:56 AM
    [b] Dear Anthony,

When you play for a team where the cross-town rivals biggest impact player the last few years has been Shockey - it&#39;s rough, isn&#39;t it? I can hear your retort - "But why don&#39;t people just appreciate me for my pediestrian playing? I do show up for work on time every day&#33;"

That&#39;s true. And we admire you for it.

Of course, the fact that you tend to drop balls (just like all the other TEs) isn&#39;t offsett nearly as well by the fact that you don&#39;t really catch any either.

;) [/b][/quote]
    HAHHAHAHHAHAA :D :D :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Here we go again&#33; :rolleyes:

Becht does not suck. We had a 6 and 10 season, but I guess that&#39;s all Becht&#39;s fault. Becht and the rest of the players all practiced with Chad & then Chad got hurt in pre-season, I guess that was Becht&#39;s fault.

Hackett called for pass rushes 90% of the time with Vinny and kept the ball on the ground, we lost games because of it, all Becht&#39;s fault. Chad comes back, Hackett once again switches up O line plays and of course, all Becht&#39;s fault. The defense absolutely sucked last year, once again, all Becht&#39;s fault&#33; :wacko:

He is and always will be one of my favorite players on the team, no matter what anyone says about him. Since his B&#39;Day is August 8th, I&#39;ll bring the pastries to the Jets/Giants scrimmage on Aug. 7th for him to enjoy on the train ride home. ;)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ;)

I didn&#39;t say anything was his fault - and I do LIKE Becht.

But you have to admit, he&#39;s not exactly the most dominating player at his position. Don&#39;t you? :unsure:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does everyone walk around with a blindfold on?? I for one am not blaming 6-10 on Becht. I am saying that a tight end that was drafted in the first round and has size SHOULD be able to break a tackle, especially from a corner half his frame. Balls that hit a person in the hand should be caught..sure no one is perfect but a drop a game is a little crazy especially when he only gets 2-3 opps a game. Is he the worst player on the Jets? no Does he kill the offense? no Can the Jets upgrade the position? definitely

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 05:08 PM
    [b] Is he the worst player on the Jets? no Does he kill the offense? no Can the Jets upgrade the position? definitely [/b][/quote]
    The worst is that fat ass Fabini, now he sucks. Dump his ass and open up the spot to a player who&#39;s middle name isn&#39;t "penalty"&#33; :lol:

TomShane
    Becht sucks. If you put a serviceable, and I mean a SERVICEABLE tight end on the field with Chad, he&#39;s going to catch 65 balls. Becht, for his size, is an absolute poontang who is a stiff pass receiver and, at best, an indifferent blocker. I was hooting last year for the Jets to draft Dallas Clark and they did not, and now Clark is going to become one of the better H-back/TE&#39;s in the league.

F Becht&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look,

He had years to shine, he didn&#39;t. I don&#39;t know what else to say. He has proved nothing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets review this....

Someone said it best...After Becht catches a ball..he falls down like his shoelaces were tied together. The only YAC he gets is due to his height as he falls forward. He is a FIRST ROUND TE....when you draft a TE in the first round you have to make AN IMPACT. He has not made an impact at all.....he has very very poor YAC and that is needed when you catch a 5 yard pass and you need 9 yards,....get those 4 extra yards...dont get tackled by a CB who weighs 60 pounds less than you....

In review...

1) He catches the ball and instantly falls down...NO YAC
    2) HE WAS A 1ST ROUND PICK&#33; SO HE SHOULD MAKE A HUGE IMPACT
    3) He drops at least one critical pass per game
    4) Slow as molasses
    5) Looks EERILY like testaverde....yuck...

Ricks will be a huge improvement&#33;

LL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 04:14 PM
    [b] Becht sucks. If you put a serviceable, and I mean a SERVICEABLE tight end on the field with Chad, he&#39;s going to catch 65 balls. Becht, for his size, is an absolute poontang who is a stiff pass receiver and, at best, an indifferent blocker. I was hooting last year for the Jets to draft Dallas Clark and they did not, and now Clark is going to become one of the better H-back/TE&#39;s in the league.

F Becht&#33; [/b][/quote]
    65 balls? wow. a serviceable te would be on the level with a shannon sharpe type? i find that insane. to me, becht is serviceable. and serviceable gets you 40 catches. what makes him a keeper is his blocking. he&#39;s a very good blocker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Zombo+Jul 9 2004, 05:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Zombo @ Jul 9 2004, 05:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 04:14 PM
    [b] Becht sucks. If you put a serviceable, and I mean a SERVICEABLE tight end on the field with Chad, he&#39;s going to catch 65 balls. Becht, for his size, is an absolute poontang who is a stiff pass receiver and, at best, an indifferent blocker. I was hooting last year for the Jets to draft Dallas Clark and they did not, and now Clark is going to become one of the better H-back/TE&#39;s in the league.

F Becht&#33; [/b][/quote]
    65 balls? wow. a serviceable te would be on the level with a shannon sharpe type? i find that insane. to me, becht is serviceable. and serviceable gets you 40 catches. what makes him a keeper is his blocking. he&#39;s a very good blocker. [/b][/quote]
    Even if he IS a very good blocker (I say average to above average), that doesn&#39;t make him worth the money he&#39;ll command as a free agent next year, or even that he&#39;s making this year. Especially when that money will have to go to Pennington, Ellis, Abe, McKenzie, Jordan, etc.

If Ricks shows he&#39;s got better hands, is better after the catch, then its a no-brainer. They can always draft a blocking TE next year...heck, they could probably even use one of this years new rookie OL-men as a &#39;blocking TE&#39; if needed - didn&#39;t Adrian Jones play TE in college as late as his sophmore season?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not many TE&#39;s are drafted in the 1st RD to begin with ... just one of those positions ... teams tend to wait till the 2nd and beyond

So when you draft a TE in the 1st RD, and he is in what is supposed to be the prime of his career, he should be a TOP 5 Player at his position ... TOP 10 at worst

Betcha I can rattle off at least 15 TE&#39;s I would take over Anthony Becht ... off the top of my head ... without even thinking

Give me a chance to peek at rosters and I&#39;ll likely come-up with 20

That&#39;s why people are down on Becht ... cause it was a wasted 1st RD Pick ... and wasting 1st RD Picks is the quickest path to oblivion

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the animosity may be the cumulative disappointment of Jets fans in yet another 1st round TE with high expectations that turned out to be a stiff. Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady and Becht all drafted within what, a 7 or 8 year period? That is outrageous, even if it is by different front offices, it is still the same team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dmaynard[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 07:41 PM
    [b] Part of the animosity may be the cumulative disappointment of Jets fans in yet another 1st round TE with high expectations that turned out to be a stiff. Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady and Becht all drafted within what, a 7 or 8 year period? That is outrageous, even if it is by different front offices, it is still the same team. [/b][/quote]
    Becht is not putting up 1st round draft pick #&#39;s period and he&#39;s got 3 seasons under his belt already. He could definitely get some instruction from Jerald Sowell on Y.A.C., Yards after the catch - a term that&#39;s not in Bechts dictionary not to mention that Bechts hands are suspect at best. Is our losing season Bechts responsibility no, but I would be willing to bet that Becht is second only behind Curtis Conway on the dropped passes list from last season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You people better stop picking on Becht............ :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 12:45 AM
    [b] You people better stop picking on Becht............ :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    I will, when he stops dropping passes and can get more than a yard after the catch&#33;&#33; :D