Thread: Positive Question regarding Becht

Since Becht has an abundance of supporters and skills, what should the Jets offer him since his contract year is coming up?

A)3 yr deal but how much a yr?
    B) 5yr deal but how much a yr?
    C) go with a younger option and put the money towards defense

They should see if a trade is possible and or let him go. He is not worth the money. The use of TE's is drastically changing in the league. We will be better off with out him.

NYJets83Moss54
    Convert him to an OG :P or send him packing after this year....damn what a wasted 1st rounder, I don&#39;t even want to know who we passed up on <_<

[quote][i]Originally posted by 4HCrew[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 03:12 PM
    [b] Since Becht has an abundance of supporters and skills, what should the Jets offer him since his contract year is coming up?

A)3 yr deal but how much a yr?
    B) 5yr deal but how much a yr?
    C) go with a younger option and put the money towards defense [/b][/quote]
    No brainer. "C"

TomShane
    Don&#39;t let the door hit you in the ass, Becht. If that door is anything like any second-rate DB in the league, you&#39;ll drop to the ground like a Frenchman.

All League
    I will be kind -
    Becht as a first round pick has not performed to what you HAVE to expect from someone drafted that high. At this point we probably have no choice but to play him this year as I do not see anyone giving up a draft pick for him

All League
    does NO ONE recall that the 2000 draft was completely devoid of quality TEs? Bubba Franks was the only legite TE (we booed Abraham when we passed up Franks for him)

I clearly recall several writers/analyzers saying after Bubba there was no one but Becht who, WE (the NY JETS), would not let slip out of our grasp despite him being a reach in the 1st round. But that was our only choice since we were THAT DEAD at the TE position at that time.

So considering all that, he&#39;s EXACTLY what was projected of him - GET OVER IT PEOPLE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Was I the only one paying attention back then?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; <_<

Do nothing right now. Let him play out this year and see what Ricks does. If Becht becomes replaceable, then let him walk.

C.

He has shown no 1st round talent except the ability to fall for his YAC. I say convert him to an OG or have Jetgirl teach him how to be an offensive lineman....(she participated in that women 101 football skills thing)

Oline

RT RG Mawae Jetgirl Fabini Ricks....that is one strong O-line&#33;

LL

All League
    i actually like becht. his blocking is exceptional. in an offense like the jets will now have, i think a blocking te will be an asset. i say option a.

Veteran
    Cirencester ENGLAND Capital of the Cotswolds
    Becht is always going to be a scapegoat for this team. He&#39;s a fair player who is more of a blocker than a receiver. I think that even if the jets wanted to sign him he would choose to walk away. So long Becht, not everyone hated you.

This one&#39;s for NYjets83Moss54-

One guy you could have had was .............Tom Brady&#33; Sorry&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;(true though)

In all honesty-coming out of college it was a weak TE Draft and
    and I for one thought Becht had a chance to be better than the more highly coverted bubba franks.
    Alot of things play into success or failure in the nfl,the system,coaching,schemes,offensive game plan(for an offensive player).
    IMHO
    .-It normally takes 3 maybe 4 years for a tight end to develop,although there are some notable exceptions.(mostly pass catchers succede early)

As for becht-You wouldn&#39;t get much for him in a trade right now,Bring all the tight ends into camp and see what happens&#33;
    You can&#39;t trade him because of his contract and how much would you save against the salary cap anyway&#39;s?

All League
    Let him walk, keep Baker & Ricks.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dalco.uk[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 05:32 PM
    [b] Becht is always going to be a scapegoat for this team. He&#39;s a fair player who is more of a blocker than a receiver. I think that even if the jets wanted to sign him he would choose to walk away. So long Becht, not everyone hated you. [/b][/quote]
    Fair enough, but you can get blocking TEs in the later rounds of the draft, and at a much lower cost.