Thread: Pasquarelli on Ricks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Former WR gives Jets intriguing options

Thursday, July 8, 2004
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The New York Jets on Thursday signed unrestricted free agent tight end Mikhael Ricks, adding to the team's receiving arsenal a veteran who should provide an inside presence to the passing game, along with an occasional deep threat.

Contract details were not immediately available.

Ricks, 29, was released last month after two seasons in Detroit and after the Lions signed veteran free agent tight end Stephen Alexander. He had immediate marketability, as the Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins joined the Jets in demonstrating interest. Ricks visited with New York officials about two weeks ago.

The six-year veteran gives the Jets, and quarterback Chad Pennington, an intriguing option. Because he is a former wide receiver, a player who didn't switch to tight end until 2001, Ricks runs excellent routes. By tight end standards, he has excellent speed and can split the safeties deep up the middle.

By utilizing Ricks in two-tight end formations with starter Anthony Becht, the Jets should be able to create advantageous matchups. Becht is certainly more a conventional tight end and a better in-line blocker. Ricks' career average of 12.5 yards per catch is indicative of his ability to make plays up the field.

A former Stephen F. Austin standout who entered the NFL as a second-round choice of the San Diego Chargers in 1998, Ricks was arguably among the best of the veterans who were still available in the free agent market. On paper, at least, his acquisition is a good one by the Jets heading into training camp.

Ricks will be joining his fourth team, having played previously with San Diego (1998-2000), Kansas City (2001) and Detroit (2002-2003). Despite starting just six games for the Lions in 2003, he had 37 catches for 434 yards and two touchdowns. It marked the third time in his career that Ricks posted 30-plus catches in a season.

For his career, Ricks has 155 receptions for 1,939 yards and eight touchdowns. He has appeared in 81 games and started 43 of them.
    To create a roster spot, the Jets waived rookie tight end Michael Carter, who had been signed as an undrafted college free agent earlier this year.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so pumped...screw it, I'm wearing my Jets jersey to work today. F the boss.

TomShane
    Ricks: 12 receptions, 97 yards, released by mid-season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets not count our chickens before they are hatched. However, this does SOUUNND GOOD.

Unfortunately, This guy has a knock for not blocking well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with buzzsaw breakout the jets gear and lets go....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    AJPerg...need...football....<drool>

need...Jets...football...nowwww <drool> <eyes glaze over>

Baseball Boring....Taking dump more exciting than baseball....Need football...nowwwwww.....<twitch>

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    this offseason just got better.. good job to TB and Herm on landing a Faster, better route runner, and better catcher then what we have so now they can play 2 TE sets with bect who blocks well and ricks who can flat out beat a linbacker in the secondary :D

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see how it works. When he says something good about the Jets his name is Pasquarelli but when he says something bad his name is Pastabelli or a-hole. :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, you got it, husker. Jet fans, true to form.

Even I am inclined to use his proper name, now that he finally has given the Jets a little respect. On further thought, what a nice Italian name&#33; It derives from Pasqua, which is the Italian name for the holiday of Easter in the Christian religions. The full name "Pasquarelli" seems odd, as it literally translates in an odd form to "The Easters" or even "The little Easters." Obviously, many Italian names are not to be taken literally, as mine literally translates to "For John."

This close look at the name Pasquarelli would not have taken place if he were to bash the Jets in any way. In that case, his name is derived from the anus of a human being.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    PASTABELLI&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; lmfao, I never heard that one before, seriously.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54[/i]@Jul 9 2004, 11:32 PM
    [b] PASTABELLI&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; lmfao, I never heard that one before, seriously. [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;ve never been on [url=http://www.Profootballtalk.com]http://www.Profootballtalk.com[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Lenny P and I share the same opinion on Ricks and his value to The Jets and how he improves The Jets passing attack.

I said everything, Lenny P said a month ago when The Skins, Packers and Jets were vying for Ricks services.

The man knows his football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] Looks like Lenny P and I share the same opinion on Ricks and his value to The Jets and how he improves The Jets passing attack.

I said everything, Lenny P said a month ago when The Skins, Packers and Jets were vying for Ricks services.

The man knows his football. [/b][/quote]
    YJF - Nice way to pat your own back. Compliment the man for making the same views you had previously. Do not hurt your throwing shoulder patting yourself on the back. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: common sense =It does not matter who wrote the article about Ricks...the bottom line is that it&#39;s a fine pick up for the Jets.....no one is counting the eggs before they hatch.....the kid is a decent player and will help us.....he is not a good blocker as becth but if we keep becht and have them in a two tight end formation it really matters not.....by the way he can actually block a bit.

Every time the Jets make a decent moves you have these peeps that only say things like don&#39;t count your eggs before they hatch....no one said ricks is the next Kellen Winslow...we just added another decent player to our team.