Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ricks over O-line?

Im sorry, but i was alot more comfterable with Becht and Baker at Tight End then i am with the 2 clowns we have as out starting guards. Why havent we fixed that area instead of signing Ricks?

And i dont want to hear about some impact 6th round draft pick whos most likely gonna be cut anyways :rolleyes:

PS-Check out the website in my sig if you play any Video games online(Xbox, PS2, ect.)

All Pro
    Well, lets think about it.

Who is out there (OG) that is that good and readily available at this moment in time?

Does Becht suck, or is it my imagination?

If the Jets were to confirm Becht's sucking, and cut him, is Baker our man? (Personally, I think the answer to this question is "yes", and many would disagree, but lets continue on.)

Becht will command some money next offseason. Do we stay with Becht at that point in time, or (provided Ricks comes in and does well) do we stay put in an easy situation with Ricks who was probably signed to a multi-year deal?

How much is an upgrade of Ricks over Becht? Many would agree on "A HUGE UPGRADE."

We can say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, is Becht truly "not broke" when he drops passes, gets no yac, and is pretty slow (meaning no vertical threat)?

We can humbly admit, as jets fans, that our TE situation was anywhere from bad to average over the past 4 years, and isn't it nice when we can bring in a guy who has the tools to possibly make it "from average to good"?

If we did not pounce on this opportunity now, would another team have grabbed the "Pro Bowl Alternate?" I think so.

Look, I'd love to grab a beautiful OG or three, but I think a more opportune time for that is after some of the cuts, and admittedly, there won't be that many good ones. Probably, we'd have to entice a currently financially disgruntled good one to come if we wanted quality, which I'm not opposed to doing, but this FO is probably not ready to do that because of everyone who needs to be signed next year and cap room and blah blah blah.

I agree with you, I am not optimistic about the "backups" from like the 10th round. But, you gotta admit that OGs don't grow on trees, especially good ones.

Also, to answer the more complete question about "why a TE now over a OG", why not? Its a good pick up! We certainly needed it! And what OGs without work do you have in mind?

I think Both Corbain Lucina and and Jaime Nails are better than what you have at Guard right now, and certainly better than your backups. It appears that Herm and Bradway are looking for a long range answer at Guard and not a one year stopgap, or they would have signed someone by now.

Of course, I dont agree with that philosphy, but I rarely agree with what Bradway does.

Hall Of Fame
    I hear that the JETS are interested in a OT by the name of Anthony Alabi.

This is what I found out about him from Sideline Scouting:

Height: 6-6
    Weight: 325

Team: Texas Christian Horned Frogs
    Class: Junior

[b]Anthony Alabi [/b]of Texas Christian and Nick Kazcur of Toledo are three other players that should hear their name called sometime on day one. Any one of the trio could work their way into the first round by April.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ask Casey Hampton and Tim Bowens if Brandon Moore is "garbage".

Hampton is still somewhere buried in that meadowlands turf.

Brent Smith gets too much of a bum rap.

I think he's a good 6th offensive lineman who can play guard and both tackle spots. This was a guy who was a very good lineman with The Fish before getting hurt. The Jets did a good job of scouting and picking him up last year off the scrap heap.

If The Jets front office and coaching staff didn't like Smith, They wouldn't have signed him to a 5 year deal after last season.

Do I think that there are better players than Brent Smith in the league yes? But this perception that Smith is a bum, Is just that a perception.

Do The Jets need an upgrade at the position? YES, I'd love to have a pro bowl guard like Will Shields but Smith is a good serviceable player that did a decent job for us last year.

Lacina sucks, Jamie Nails is a great run blocker when he is in shape but he can't pass block if his life depended on it.

I like Brent Smith as the 6th o-lineman on a team because he's a smart player who can play 3 positions. He gives a team great versatility. The bottom line is that he's just a decent player but he doesn't stink.

If The Jets can add a veteran for insurance at the position, I'm all for it. I'd like to see if Goodwin can finally step up and I'd get Adrian Jones some snaps at guard this training camp but The Jets are grooming Jones for OT when McKenzie leaves.

All League
    I would not exactly call our guards a joke, more like servicable. Would have liked to see O'Dwyer signed for some veteran depth. It is now S_ _ _ _ Or Get Off The Pot time for Bechect. Has to step up and show he was worth a #1 or he will be gone. Unless we are offered a high draft pick 2 or 3 I think he plays out this season. This is also a hit or miss season for Bradway and possibly Herm. Play-offs or get out of town!!!!

All League
    It pretty clear to me the Jets O-Line on opening day will be the same one that ended last season. Fabini, Moore, Mawae, Smith and McKensie The CS appears to be satisfied with Moore and expect further progress from him. The rap against Smith is the condition of his knees. He still has power but lost the quickness to pull. In the Jets system this is inconsequential as Mawae is responsible for pulling on sweeps.

Though Jones and Cavka are slated for tackle in 2005 I would expect to see them given a good look at Guard this year. As to Goodwin, he is on the bubble. If he doesn't come into camp smoking the comp I would expect to see him on the Practice Squad if not cut outright. That is where the team will make room for Ricks.

Patman in my observation is correct. The Jets are looking for Long Term Solutions on their O-Line. Therefore I would expect the Jets to take a Center with their 1st Round Draft Pick next year and use him as Smith' s replacement for 2 to 3 seasons before he moves over to replace Mawae. The Jets may expend a 2nd or 3rd round pick to take a Guard or Tackle depending on need and availability.

But as for this year I would not expect to see much change in the base line up.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: sheesh what do u mean why Ricks over the O-line???? Who is out there right now? and the Jets current O-line is not bad....yes depth is a concern but the starting unit is decent.....Ricks was one of the best veteran prospects out there and we snatched him up (good move) we still have training camp about to start and the jets will get additional depth.....it's kinda funny how some are panicking about our O-line.....daaam our O-line is far from terrible.

All League
    The offensive line depth is a concern of mine-hopefully the young guys can step and take advantage of the opportunity that is there.
    When you have the opportunity to upgrade any position on your team-you should jump at it-Ricks improves the passing game and his ability to go downfield from his position is something this offense has lacked.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: I agree...Baker has good speed for a TE but Ricks is much faster....I also feel that we will get depth for the O-line before the season begins.

there are absolutely zero NFL OG out there right now that represent an upgrade over current personnel

Ricks brings a deep threat, a receiving threat - there was interest there from other teams...

the OG out there now are at best "just another guy"

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: true and like every team in the league we just have to play the game and hope the injury bug does not pay a visit.

Slightly OT but does anyone know what kind of deal Ricks got?

considering we drafted a few high ceiling OTs in the draft, and there are absolutely no clear OTs/OGs available that would help out our "situation", it was not necessary to go out and waste money.

especially considering we just signed one of the best recieiving TEs in the nfl, who is tops in the league with YAC, when we had anthony "I fall down when I catch the ball" Becht

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][b]when we had anthony "I fall down when I catch the ball" Becht[/b][/quote]
    LMAO! :lol:

no joke arod. don't you know that the because he is so slow while running routes, the dbs have time to tie his shoelaces toegether so once he catches the ball, he immediately falls down.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 08:04 PM
    [b] no joke arod. don't you know that the because he is so slow while running routes, the dbs have time to tie his shoelaces toegether so once he catches the ball, he immediately falls down. [/b][/quote]
    I know EB, that's why it's so funny, cause it's true. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MrSFJFC[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 08:51 AM
    [b] I hear that the JETS are interested in a OT by the name of Anthony Alabi.

This is what I found out about him from Sideline Scouting:

Height: 6-6
    Weight: 325

Team: Texas Christian Horned Frogs
    Class: Junior

[b]Anthony Alabi [/b]of Texas Christian and Nick Kazcur of Toledo are three other players that should hear their name called sometime on day one. Any one of the trio could work their way into the first round by April. [/b][/quote]
    Hackett is always looking for a good Alabi for the offense. :P LOL

1. Our TE situation was not very good with Baker & Becht, Ricks upgrades the position significantly.
    2. Hackett wants to run some 2 TE sets.
    3. There are no guards on the market who are any better than what we now have.

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Jul 10 2004, 09:18 AM
    [b] Ask Casey Hampton and Tim Bowens if Brandon Moore is "garbage".

Hampton is still somewhere buried in that meadowlands turf.

Brent Smith gets too much of a bum rap.

I think he's a good 6th offensive lineman who can play guard and both tackle spots. This was a guy who was a very good lineman with The Fish before getting hurt. The Jets did a good job of scouting and picking him up last year off the scrap heap.

If The Jets front office and coaching staff didn't like Smith, They wouldn't have signed him to a 5 year deal after last season.

Do I think that there are better players than Brent Smith in the league yes? But this perception that Smith is a bum, Is just that a perception.

Do The Jets need an upgrade at the position? YES, I'd love to have a pro bowl guard like Will Shields but Smith is a good serviceable player that did a decent job for us last year.

Lacina sucks, Jamie Nails is a great run blocker when he is in shape but he can't pass block if his life depended on it.

I like Brent Smith as the 6th o-lineman on a team because he's a smart player who can play 3 positions. He gives a team great versatility. The bottom line is that he's just a decent player but he doesn't stink.

If The Jets can add a veteran for insurance at the position, I'm all for it. I'd like to see if Goodwin can finally step up and I'd get Adrian Jones some snaps at guard this training camp but The Jets are grooming Jones for OT when McKenzie leaves. [/b][/quote]
    Have to take weather conditions into play (Snow and field conditions were terrible) when the Jets played the Steelers that day. Now if B moore did that to Hampton on a nice day than your point would be alot stronger . Just think bad footing that day and its really hard to say if it was Moore or the weather that contributed to job on Hampton.

A Jones is so raw and inexperience that he isn't going to see any action anywhere on the ol Next year. That pick was more down the road than next year pick.(could develop into a very good LT in TIME)
    First A Jones (the little experience he has) is used to playing on Island at OT, you move him inside and the first stunt the DL runs expect C Pennington to get crushed.
    I see alot of Jets fans making the mistake thinking Just because J Ogden was able to play G his first year that A Jones will be. First J Ogden is one best OT to ever come into the NFL and had alot more game experience than A Jones did.( Hoopefully within two years will be ready to make a contribution.