Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: penninton talks in progress

Practice Squad
    -- Pennington Talks Heat Up --
    Fri Jul 9, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports agent Tom Condon huddled with New York Jets officials about QB Chad Pennington, who is entering the final season of his original NFL contract. There is a long way to go, of course, in negotiations. That said, there is some sense of urgency. The Jets might be facing a deadline of sorts, as Pennington could pull in a signing bonus second only to the $34.5 million that Condon negotiated for QB Peyton Manning four months ago.

at least they are talking. maybe bradway learned from last year to not wait till its too late.

All League
    The Jets don't have the cap space to do much of anything this year. This is very preliminary in the hope of heading off an ugly situation at years end so they don't have use their franchise tag on him..

I would be happy if the Jets can bring Vilma, Strait and Cotchery in on time at the beginning of camp.

Practice Squad
    penny's contract can be formatted in such a way that the big money does not hit till 2 or 3 years down the road, after vinny's and curtis's contracts are done.

All Pro
    Well remember, as is the nature of the cap, you don't have to pay guys "this year" per se, but maybe backload their contracts or pay them increasing amounts in future years or pay them increasing amounts as incentive bonuses are reached. I have faith that Bradway and Tannenbaum can get it done before the season, maybe during camp. Of course, they'll be working on the draft picks too, and they should get those done too. Hey, maybe finally we'll have some news coming from the Jets, like signings, instead of the same ol' "dammit, no news, I'll check the site again tomorrow."

All League
    The problem is Ellis and Abraham come due next year as well. I can't see the FO doing anything this year when it has such a huge nut to swallow next year. If Bradway doesn't play this right 2 out of 3 of those guys could be gone ! Becht I could careless and Abraham I could accept but Ellis or Pennington would be cause for outright insurrection. Besides it's not as though the Jets won the Superbowl last year.

Just enjoy the season !

All Pro
    AMEN, brutha! God, the season can't come soon enough!!! Baseball is so boring.

Yeah, if Ellis or Chad (Chad especially) even -think- of going somewhere else, I will ....I will....jeeez, I don't know what I'll do...

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Right now we need to work on CHAD,ELLIS and McKenzie long term we need to front load one & middle load 2 avoid the backloads if possible from keeping guys longer then we need to.

What does the franchise tag mean????

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JJMAX[/i]@Jul 12 2004, 04:58 AM
    [b] What does the franchise tag mean???? [/b][/quote]
    I beleive a Player must be paid the Avg Salary of the top 5 salaries
    at his position for 1 yr to be free, or any other team that signs him must
    give up 2 no 1 choices.. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    [quote][b]I beleive a Player must be paid the Avg Salary of the top 5 salaries
    at his position[/b][/quote]

When you consider that Manning's contract will count within the top 5 at QB, using the franchise tag on Chad may be a very expensive route. Especially as there'll still be some 'dead' cap room from Vinny's contract on the books in the same year (and, I'd guess, Lewis / Jones / etc). I don't want us to end up like the Colts, having to cut people just to be able to franchsie tag the QB.

Hall Of Fame
    There is always a player who raises the bar for those franchise players salaries each and every year. It makes you wonder whether or not this is actually good for the cap because it makes it tough for a team if they have to follow other teams competive franchise prices, especially if they have that conservative spending mentality.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole[/i]@Jul 11 2004, 08:11 PM
    [b] The Jets don't have the cap space to do much of anything this year. This is very preliminary in the hope of heading off an ugly situation at years end so they don't have use their franchise tag on him..

I would be happy if the Jets can bring Vilma, Strait and Cotchery in on time at the beginning of camp. [/b][/quote]
    That is not true.

It would be very easy for the jets to construct a contract that would SAVE money to teh cap this year, if that is what they so desire.

Teh CURRENT cfap is not the situation. it is what the eefct will be to the jets down the road that has to have thought given to it

Chad must be signed...however, he does NOT deserve Manning type money, yet. He is more in the new Delhomme ballpark...

LL

how the F*** could you give a 34.5 mill singing bonus to someone who has the experience of Pennington?!@?!? I dont get it

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by dfresh[/i]@Jul 12 2004, 04:39 PM
    [b] how the F*** could you give a 34.5 mill singing bonus to someone who has the experience of Pennington?!@?!? I dont get it [/b][/quote]
    You are right-I have not heard Chad on American Idol once. This is crazy talk

I don't care how amazing he's looked at times; you don't pay a (guessing) $25M signing bonus to a player who has zero 16-game seasons under his belt & potentially lose 2-3 other star/solid starters in the process (McKenzie/Abe/Ellis; I'm assuming we're letting Jordan & Becht go). This is the price we pay for Curtis & Chrebet's deals. Or, more to the point, that's the lesson that should be learned from those deals (as well as Mo/Jones/Vinny).

No player should be above the team. Watching teams like NE & Carolina go to the SB (while teams like Washington don't sniff at it) should teach our FO that much. Getting a premiere HC & competent coordinators are far better ways of spending team dollars (cap or no cap).

And Mo/Jones should count nothing against the cap next year since they were cut before June 1st (we took the full hit this year), unless I'm mistaken. Vinny will cost us 3-4 mil. Ditto Chrebet. Curtis will probably be in the $6M range. And next year we're scheduled to redo Moss' contract as well. I guess if we can still get him for anything under a $20M SB we do it. But it doesn't seem likely. The chance to resign him for a $10-15M SB (like McNair/McNabb/Favre) came & went last year. Could cost us $10M in bonus money to have Bradway sit on his hands last winter/spring.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sperm Edwards[/i]@Jul 12 2004, 05:16 PM
    [b] I don't care how amazing he's looked at times; you don't pay a (guessing) $25M signing bonus to a player who has zero 16-game seasons under his belt & potentially lose 2-3 other star/solid starters in the process (McKenzie/Abe/Ellis; I'm assuming we're letting Jordan & Becht go). This is the price we pay for Curtis & Chrebet's deals. Or, more to the point, that's the lesson that should be learned from those deals (as well as Mo/Jones/Vinny).

No player should be above the team. Watching teams like NE & Carolina go to the SB (while teams like Washington don't sniff at it) should teach our FO that much. Getting a premiere HC & competent coordinators are far better ways of spending team dollars (cap or no cap).

And Mo/Jones should count nothing against the cap next year since they were cut before June 1st (we took the full hit this year), unless I'm mistaken. Vinny will cost us 3-4 mil. Ditto Chrebet. Curtis will probably be in the $6M range. And next year we're scheduled to redo Moss' contract as well. I guess if we can still get him for anything under a $20M SB we do it. But it doesn't seem likely. The chance to resign him for a $10-15M SB (like McNair/McNabb/Favre) came & went last year. Could cost us $10M in bonus money to have Bradway sit on his hands last winter/spring. [/b][/quote]
    Hmmmm- So you were willing to spend 15 mill on a player who had one season (well, about 10 games) under his belt, yet you cry that it is idiotic to give a 25 mill bonus for a player that has never playsed 16 games????????

Where is the logic in that?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by dfresh[/i]@Jul 12 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] how the F*** could you give a 34.5 mill singing bonus to someone who has the experience of Pennington?!@?!? I dont get it [/b][/quote]
    Pasquarelli says "second only to Manning's $34.5M," not that he'll receive that much.

Manning's contract was extremely unique due to the fact that he'd had leverage to force a cap-busting $19M hit. That leverage resulted from the fact that his exclusive franchise tag number is based off his previous compensation, rather than the top 5 league average. While Pennington's agent and others will argue that Manning somehow set the market, the Jets and other teams won't buy it since those franchise tag circumstances were so isolated.

Pasquarelli does indicate, however, that Pennington would likely receive more than the second highest signing bonus, which belongs to McNabb at $20M in guaranteed money. This raises two issues. (1) McNabb accomplished a great deal more than CP at the time his deal was inked early 2002, including 2 Pro Bowls and coming within 6 points of the Super Bowl; and (2) McNabb's deal is dated by two years and doesn't reflect market inflation. These two issues are somewhat of a wash.

Of course, the Jets will also point to the very recent Delhomme deal and note that the Super Bowl QB only received a $12M signing bonus. But Pennington rightfully counters that Delhomme didn't run a QB-focused offense, only had one year of success and was statistically quite mediocre. So Delhomme's not on point, but he does bring some degree of reality to the table for the Jets.

Ultimately, Chad gets McNabb McMoney. The only question is whether Pennington's agent, still intoxicated from the fumes of the Manning deal, insists that Peyton's deal should have much bearing on Chad's new contract. If he does, which is not unlikely, it's doubtful the deal will get done before opening day.

sorry chads gonna leave for the Saints, or Lions next year

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[SIZE=4]I HATE THE SALARY CAP[/SIZE]