Thread: Postpone the presidential election?

I can just imagine why Bush and Co. would want to do this.

July 12, 2004
    Terror Issue Raises Question of Vote Delay
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES

WASHINGTON, July 11 - Federal officials are looking into what legal authority if any they would have to postpone the November presidential election in the event of a terrorist strike, a Department of Homeland Security official said Sunday.

Domestic security officials referred the question last week to the Justice Department for a legal analysis after receiving a letter from DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the United States Election Assistance Commission, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Though officials warned last week that Al Qaeda might seek to disrupt the election, the official cautioned that there was no specific intelligence that such an attack was in the works. Postponing the election would be an enormous logistical task and would probably require an act of Congress and perhaps a constitutional amendment, the official said, adding, "But we're certainly looking at the issue very seriously."

[quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet[/i]@Jul 13 2004, 11:28 PM
    [b] I can just imagine why Bush and Co. would want to do this.
    [/b][/quote]
    it is in their best interests to keep people scared

as long as terrorism is impending they can "take care of us"

It would most likely be enacted if Bush were behind in the numbers.

Thank God I'm not cynical.!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    guess Bush & Co have to come up with something new.... can't pull-off depending on Jeb to mess with Florida's votes again

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Terrorist attacks or no attacks. We are Americans. We are tough!!!! The elections go on no matter what.

Hall Of Fame
    No way-not happening. If they held elections in 1864 and 1944, there's no reason these animals should postpone this election.

All Pro
    No fear libs, kerry will lose the election on schedule.

This election postponement nonesense is a fabrication of the liberal media. No official of the Bush administration has even suggested it. It is the same as the whole draft nonsense. Charlie Wrangle and a bunch of Democrats were behind that too.

You are wrong as USUAL..
    It was brought up by good old Tom Ridge.

[b]Domestic security officials referred the question last week to the Justice Department for a legal analysis after receiving a letter from DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the United States Election Assistance Commission, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity[/b]

Domestic security officials... through a request from non-partisan DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the United States Election Assistance Commission... do their due dilligence and check up on a request. The leftist wackos turn that into Bush administration trying to cancel elections in an effort to maintain power. Come on. Even you people can't be buying into this crap. In the event of a terror attack the country would rally behind the president. Why would they want to postpone the election? You people are clearly blinded by hatred. Its really just sad.

[url=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12318290&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=..._id=44551&rfi=6[/url]

[quote][b]Soaries’ concerns were prompted by a warning last week from Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warning of an al-Qaida plot to interrupt the upcoming presidential elections.

Ridge would not reveal any specific information, but instead said there was credible intelligence pointing to the terrorists’ plans.
    [/b][/quote]

what do you have to say about that Cheifs?

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 11:36 AM
    [b] [url=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12318290&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=..._id=44551&rfi=6[/url]

[quote][b]Soaries’ concerns were prompted by a warning last week from Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warning of an al-Qaida plot to interrupt the upcoming presidential elections.

Ridge would not reveal any specific information, but instead said there was credible intelligence pointing to the terrorists’ plans.
    [/b][/quote]

what do you have to say about that Cheifs? [/b][/quote]
    Say about what? [b]SOARIES CONCERNS[/b] were prompted by Homeland securities warning of al Quaida Plot to interrupt the upcoming election. What should I conclude from that?

What conclusion do you gather from that? Tom Ridges' name is in an article therefore he is somehow tied in to the subject matter.

Lets try this one. After watching Shaq dominate a basketball game Steve went out and robbed a bank. Bitoni's conclusion: Shaq was involved in a bank robbery. Honestly do you even read this stuff before you paste it.

Hall Of Fame
    Bitonti - this is nonsense, and is completely designed to illicit the "look, Bush is trying to stop the electoral process, he really IS a dictator, blah blah blah." It IS just like the "draft" fears that Rangle started.

Ridge warned about impending attacks, that's it. People simply read headlines and don't think critically, and the anti-Bush people know that.

This is funny. The elections aren't going to be postponed, and Bush and Ridge did not begin this process. You are seriously being duped if you believe otherwise.

Ridge actually checked to see what the official procedure was to postpone an election

this is not media hype it's really the dept of homeland security being foolish... for a change.

Hall Of Fame
    Well, even if we table the "who initiated it" topic, I can say that under no circumstances whatsoever do I think the election should be postponed.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 02:37 PM
    [b] Well, even if we table the "who initiated it" topic, I can say that under no circumstances whatsoever do I think the election should be postponed. [/b][/quote]
    I'm quite sure 99% of america, no matter who they support share your views mr 5

it seems every word uttered each day is headline news on an internet site somewhere.