Thread: "Bush blasts Kerry over fund-raiser"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [SIZE=3][u][b]Bush blasts Kerry over fund-raiser[/b][/u][/SIZE]
    Wednesday, July 14, 2004 Posted: 9:05 AM EDT (1305 GMT)

From CNN.com

MARQUETTE, Michigan (CNN) -- President Bush criticized Democrats on Tuesday over a fund-raiser last week where celebrities used off-color language and called him a "thug" and a "liar."

His campaign demanded that the Kerry-Edwards campaign release footage of the event.

Speaking at a campaign stop in Michigan, Bush told supporters that "the other day, my opponent said, when he was with some entertainers from Hollywood, that they were the heart and soul of America.

"I believe the heart and soul of America is found in places right here, in Marquette, Michigan," he said, to applause from the crowd.

Republicans have been pounding the Kerry campaign for days over last Thursday's fund-raiser at Radio City Music Hall in New York, which both presumptive Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards, attended.

During the event, comedian Whoopi Goldberg made sexually explicit comments that were puns on Bush's name and singer John Mellencamp referred to the president as a "thug." Comedian Chevy Chase called Bush a "liar" and "bright as an egg timer," while actor Paul Newman called the Bush administration's tax cuts "borderline criminal." (Kerry bash raises $7.5 million)

However, Republicans have been particularly critical of Kerry's remarks at the end of the evening, when he thanked the entertainers and said they "conveyed the heart and soul of our country."

Ken Mehlman, Bush's campaign manager, sent a letter Tuesday to his counterpart in the Kerry campaign, Mary Beth Cahill, demanding that footage of the event be released.

"Do most Americans in their hearts think that calling the president a 'thug' and a 'killer' represents the 'heart and soul' of our nation? We don't think so, but we think voters should decided for themselves," he wrote.

Responding to concerns from a Kerry adviser that releasing the footage might violate copyright law and that it might be used in Bush ads, Mehlman pledged that the president's campaign would not use the footage. He also said that rules allowing "fair use" of newsworthy copyrighted material would allow its release for use by the media.

"We look forward to seeing this spirited display," he wrote.

In response, Cahill fired off her own letter to Mehlman, saying the Kerry campaign would not release the footage unless the Bush campaign released a raft of documents "relating to Bush's performance in office."

The documents include Bush's military records from his service in the Texas Air National Guard; correspondence between the Defense Department and Halliburton about no-bid contracts for Iraqi reconstruction; records of Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force; correspondence between the Bush administration and the pharmaceutical industry about the Medicare drug bill, and documents about prison abuse in Iraq.

"Considering that the president has failed to even come close to keeping his promise to change the tone in Washington, we find your outrage over, and paparazzi-like obsession with, a fund-raising event to be misplaced," she wrote.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 10:04 AM
    [b] Comedian Chevy Chase called Bush a "liar" and "bright as an egg timer," [/b][/quote]
    Chevy Chase is talking smack? :lol: This is the same guy who couldnt get any friends to roast him at Comedy Centrals Friars Club Roast and had to have random comedians make fun of him, and then got mad because they were too harsh. What a f*ckin hypocrite.

Chevy Chase :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is one battle Bush should not be fighting... it would be best for him to distance himself from the whole affair, cause alot of what these people are saying is at least based in truth.

he should listen to Karl Rove and shut his mouth

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 10:34 AM
    [b] this is one battle Bush should not be fighting... it would be best for him to distance himself from the whole affair, cause alot of what these people are saying is at least based in truth.

he should listen to Karl Rove and shut his mouth [/b][/quote]
    Fact-based? Cmon Bit, you know these celebrities werent speaking facts, but just making immature anti-Bush jokes. Look, I dont care what those people do because I dont respect them anyway, but I think Bush is smart to go after this because when footage comes out of Kerry laughing about this, it will not be a good thing for Kerry.

I mean the comments to end the show were clearly idiotic on Kerry's part, so I think Bush is a fool not to go out and attack that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah but what about responses like this

[quote][b]
    In response, Cahill fired off her own letter to Mehlman, saying the Kerry campaign would not release the footage unless the Bush campaign released a raft of documents "relating to Bush's performance in office."

The documents include Bush's military records from his service in the Texas Air National Guard; correspondence between the Defense Department and Halliburton about no-bid contracts for Iraqi reconstruction; records of Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force; correspondence between the Bush administration and the pharmaceutical industry about the Medicare drug bill, and documents about prison abuse in Iraq.[/b][/quote]

that's what im talking about Bush doesn't have a leg to stand on, he's been an absolutely corrupt and terrible president

brody you need to leave Texas and come back to Brooklyn to gain some perspective bro ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 11:51 AM
    [b] yeah but what about responses like this

[quote][b]

The documents include Bush's military records from his service in the Texas Air National Guard; correspondence between the Defense Department and Halliburton about no-bid contracts for Iraqi reconstruction; records of Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force; correspondence between the Bush administration and the pharmaceutical industry about the Medicare drug bill, and documents about prison abuse in Iraq.[/b][/quote]

that's what im talking about Bush doesn't have a leg to stand on, he's been an absolutely corrupt and terrible president

brody you need to leave Texas and come back to Brooklyn to gain some perspective bro ;) [/b][/quote]
    Negative.

This is a plus for Bush. Kerry looks stupid!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    whoopi goldberg and chevy chase are what define D list celebrities.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 10:51 AM

[quote][b]

brody you need to leave Texas and come back to Brooklyn to gain some perspective bro ;) [/b][/quote]
    If anything, Texas made me a little more liberal about issues...Austin is one of the most liberal cities in the country. Damn Hippies :lol:

But in a serious response to what you said, if all these documents are so detrimental to Bush, then why is Kerry's campaign blackmailing the Bush campaign with this, over what Kerry said over a fund-raiser? What is really that bad?

And Bush probably wont release these documents because if there is even one thing off, the Dems will rip him a new one. So basicially, even if most of these documents are harmless but one of them isnt, it looks like Bush is hiding everything.

Some of those documents I have answer why he wouldnt release them, and the others I dont. I dont think Bush is a corrupt or terrible president, but I wont defend it because frankly I am tired of doing so. Whatever I say wont convince you, and most likely vice versa

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Matt39[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 12:02 PM
    [b] whoopi goldberg and chevy chase are what define D list celebrities. [/b][/quote]
    The next series of "The Surreal Life" can't be to far behind for those 2 hacks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Jul 14 2004, 12:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ Jul 14 2004, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 10:51 AM

[quote][b]
    In response, Cahill fired off her own letter to Mehlman, saying the Kerry campaign would not release the footage unless the Bush campaign released a raft of documents "relating to Bush&#39;s performance in office."

The documents include Bush&#39;s military records from his service in the Texas Air National Guard; correspondence between the Defense Department and Halliburton about no-bid contracts for Iraqi reconstruction; records of Vice President Dick Cheney&#39;s energy task force; correspondence between the Bush administration and the pharmaceutical industry about the Medicare drug bill, and documents about prison abuse in Iraq.[/b][/quote]

that&#39;s what im talking about Bush doesn&#39;t have a leg to stand on, he&#39;s been an absolutely corrupt and terrible president

If anything, Texas made me a little more liberal about issues...Austin is one of the most liberal cities in the country. Damn Hippies :lol:

But in a serious response to what you said, if all these documents are so detrimental to Bush, then why is Kerry&#39;s campaign blackmailing the Bush campaign with this, over what Kerry said over a fund-raiser? What is really that bad?

And Bush probably wont release these documents because if there is even one thing off, the Dems will rip him a new one. So basicially, even if most of these documents are harmless but one of them isnt, it looks like Bush is hiding everything.

Some of those documents I have answer why he wouldnt release them, and the others I dont. I dont think Bush is a corrupt or terrible president, but I wont defend it because frankly I am tired of doing so. Whatever I say wont convince you, and most likely vice versa [/b][/quote]
    Ha ha ha ha ha....Democrats are bottoming out.

Can&#39;t wait for the Democratic Convention when people won&#39;t be talking about John Kerry.

They WILL be talking about Hillary vs. John Edwards for the nomination in &#39;08.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AlbanyJet[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 12:16 PM
    [b] Ha ha ha ha ha....Democrats are bottoming out.
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah they are bottoming out so badly that Kerry is leading Bush by 5 points in the latest USA today poll

when it comes down to brass tax this election will come down to who has the more motivated voter base

the way i see it more Kerry supporters are definately gonna vote then Bush supporters

also there will be alot of democratic expatriate and Military votes that there normally weren&#39;t before

all of this adds up to trouble for dubya - all it would take is lose a couple swing states and it would all be over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Jul 14 2004, 11:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Jul 14 2004, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AlbanyJet[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 12:16 PM
    [b] Ha ha ha ha ha....Democrats are bottoming out.
    [/b][/quote]
    yeah they are bottoming out so badly that Kerry is leading Bush by 5 points in the latest USA today poll

when it comes down to brass tax this election will come down to who has the more motivated voter base

the way i see it more Kerry supporters are definately gonna vote then Bush supporters

also there will be alot of democratic expatriate and Military votes that there normally weren&#39;t before

all of this adds up to trouble for dubya - all it would take is lose a couple swing states and it would all be over. [/b][/quote]
    Bush is definitely in trouble. But I think things will start to change once Kerry has to start, umm, talking :lol: Notice how the Dems have really been trying to silence him as much as possible because everytime he talks, he puts his foot in his mouth.

So well see what happens when they have to let Kerry speak. (Not saying Bush is a good speaker, because he isnt, but I really think Kerry could give us some good entertainment as well).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that&#39;s gonna be a problem cause Kerry really is another stuffed shirt bastard like Gore...

but like i said no one really loves Kerry they just hate Bush... it wasn&#39;t like that last time around people really didn&#39;t know alot about either candidate... this time there will be 4 years of Bush to look back and reflect on...

i will say this im looking forward to the John Edwards/Dick Cheney VP debate ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at it this way. Roughly 1/3 of the population voted for Bush, 1/3 for Gore, and 1/3 didn&#39;t vote.

Nader cleary was a difference maker in such a close election. The difference this time around is not only will Nader not recieve as many votes, but more people who abstained from voting last time will vote. That 1/3 of the population that didn&#39;t vote are more likely to vote Democrat. I have to hand it to conservatives, their percentage of voting is very high. I think in the last election a lot of people assumed Gore was going to win easily since Clinton had been reelected easily, plus they didn&#39;t feel Bush jr was much of a threat. Well all those people have woken up and their voices will be heard in November. Enjoy the W while you can.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m tall ya&#33;

Hillary and John Edwards fighting over the entrails of Kerry&#39;s failed campaign is gonna make a great soap opera.

It starts at the Democratic Convention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bush is such a loser..
    the guy has done absolutely nothing..it&#39;s quite comical...BUT..he did get saddams gun..

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 11:46 AM
    [b] I think Bush is a fool [/b][/quote]
    Finally, some common ground&#33; I agree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™+Jul 14 2004, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Bob the Jets Fan™ @ Jul 14 2004, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@Jul 14 2004, 11:46 AM
    [b] I think Bush is a fool [/b][/quote]
    Finally, some common ground&#33; I agree. [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

I can see the media has taught you some good tricks about messing around with words to fit the meaning you want :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    See, it&#39;s already starting.

Right now it&#39;s Hillary Vs. Kerry but once Kerry is cooked come November it&#39;ll be Hillary Vs. Edwards for the &#39;08 nomination.

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/14/clinton.convention.ap/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/14/...n.ap/index.html[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    More proof it&#39;s all about Hillary in &#39;08.

She&#39;s quickly making John Kerry look like Al Gore&#33;

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/nyregion/15hillary.html]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/15/nyregion.../15hillary.html[/url]