Thread: Opinions on my team?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assume: 16 teams, 18 rounds serpentine draft (3 rounds more to go). Will need to draft a HC. Keeper league (any 5 players but 1 RB and cannot keep 1st rounder). Standard scoring. 5 flex positions, 1 QB, 1K, 1 team D, 1HC, 1 DB, 1 DL, and 1 LB. For the 5 flex positions : A TE must start at least 9 times and a WR must start at least 14 times.

Here's my roster w/ comments:

(Player Name) (Team Abbrevation) (POS)(Bye Week)(Where drafted)

Testaverde, Vinny DAL QB - 4 15.04
    Vick, Michael ATL QB - 9 2.01

Want Vick to be my keeper for the future. Picked up Vinny for Vick's bye week. Need an EXPLOSIVE season from Vick to justify sacrifcing a 2nd rounder to keep him next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George, Eddie TEN RB - 9 8.13
    Jones, Kevin DET RB - 4 3.04
    Wheatley, Tyrone OAK RB - 10 14.13

Every RB was GONE by the 3rd, HAD to take a major risk on Kevin Jones...only RB's left were RBBC guys. Grabbed George later in hopes he'll hold off Chris Brown and took a major flyer that Wheatley will begin the season as the starter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calico, Tyrone TEN WR - 9 9.04
    Johnson, Keyshawn DAL WR - 4 5.04
    Owens, Terrell PHI WR - 5 1.16

Took Owens #1 because I picked #16 and by then 14 RB's and Moss were gone. Also, because I can't keep my 1st rounder. Feel that I stole KJ in the 5th....I envision another 1998 season. Major flyer on Calico...feel he'll leapfrog Bennet in Tenn.

Heap, Todd BAL TE - 6 4.13

Gonzo was gone and mid-tier WR's were on board then. Our league does not favor TE's heavily..but feel Heap could get me 10 TD's even if his career best was 6.

Kasay, John CAR PK - 3 13.04

Nice kicker, but got caught on the wrong end of a major HC run...now am even contemplating picking up Wanny! (Coaches get pts. for wins and margin of victory.)

Strahan, Michael NYG DL - 6 6.13

Grabbed him early because felt he was the only lock for +13 sacks and never really liked Jason Taylor.

Urlacher, Brian CHI LB - 5 11.04

Our scoring favored other LB's more highly, but felt he'd bounce back from an off year with Lovie Smith's arrival. Think Lovie will add more speed to the D and have Urlacher running all over.

Harrison, Rodney NEP DB - 3 8.01

Nice pick, was 2nd rated DB behind Jerry Azumah (ST yardage). Should get 100+ tackles and 2-3 Int's.

Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC DT - 9 12.13
    Raiders, Oakland OAK DT - 10 10.

Feel strongly that the Raider D will dominate with Sapp/Washington up front. Allowing Buchanon and Woodson to rack up INT's and their LB's to roam freely in Rob Ryan's system. Norv will play ball control and keep this D fresh. Also, feel that the Jaguar D will be a major surprise this year.

Opinions? Bad draft? I feel that I have a lot of prayers to make. I think I will outscore everybody defensively, have decent kicker production, and pray for Vick/Owens/Kevin Jones to explode weekly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad so far. I'm interested in who the other teams have.

Not sure if he's still around but a 4th WR who might be overlooked who I think is going to have a breakout season is Javon Walker.

Also if Tatum Bell is still available you should of snatched him. He's going to have a huge rookie year under Shanahan IMO. I was praying the Jets would be able to get him later on but Shanny realized the skills this kid has.

What HC's have been selected so far, don't settle for Wanny, that'd be a mistake. You'd be better taking a risk on a less experienced HC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll look into Javon Walker. Tatum Bell was long gone by round 6-7.

The only remaining HC I like: Gruden, Wanny, Coughlin, Gibbs, Turner, and maybe Mooch. The rest are like Schotty, Del Rio, Capers, Lewis. Wanny is a lock for 9 wins and a good september/october/nov where he'll have the Phins at 6-3 at worst...then I can pick up a hot coach at the end of the season like Gibbs/Coughlin when they put their stamps on their teams.

I was counting on Mike Tice..but somebody took him. Ideally you want a guy who gets blow outs. Last year Vermeil was ranked over BB even if BB had one more win....because of mahor blow outs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hyped@Jul 15 2004, 01:54 AM
    I was counting on Mike Tice..but somebody took him. Ideally you want a guy who gets blow outs. Last year Vermeil was ranked over BB even if BB had one more win....because of mahor blow outs.
    I'm assuming Dungy is long gone.

You really see the Fins being .500 this year? Too much has happened to them this off-season, this is the year it's going to go down hill.

Don't sleep on Dom Capers. They have a lot of talent on offense and their defense is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run this year as a darkhorse.

oh Javon Walker's stats.

Year 1: 23 receptions, 319 yards, 13.9 avg

Year 2: 41 receptions, 716 yards, 17.5 avg

If this follows suit with normal WR development this kid might be a very good one in his third year. I wouldn't surprised if he's an eventual Pro-Bowler.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Javon Walker was taken. So, I took Travis Taylor...hope Boller airs it out a lot. I also took Jerry Rice. Rice might be old..but I can't see less than 55 catches from him....

One more round to go and I am one of 3 teams without a HC. I pre-ranked my picks to take Gruden, Turner, and Cowher in that order. I will get one of them unless somebody picks up a back-up HC.

Thanks for your advice Jetlag.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hyped@Jul 15 2004, 01:31 PM
    Javon Walker was taken. So, I took Travis Taylor...hope Boller airs it out a lot. I also took Jerry Rice. Rice might be old..but I can't see less than 55 catches from him....

One more round to go and I am one of 3 teams without a HC. I pre-ranked my picks to take Gruden, Turner, and Cowher in that order. I will get one of them unless somebody picks up a back-up HC.

Thanks for your advice Jetlag.
    No problem, I hope it helped.

How long til Leftwich was taken? I'm trying to gauge how people rank certain players for the time when I have to draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    9th I believe...