Thread: The `Plame' truth: That Joe Wilson lied

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]The `Plame' truth: That Joe Wilson lied

By Boston Herald Editorial Staff

Sunday, July 18, 2004[/b]

It's a good thing former Ambassador Joseph Wilson took advantage of his 15 minutes of fame and already published his book bashing President Bush [related, bio], ironically entitled the ``Politics of Truth.''

It's not the best marketing strategy to have two governments essentially call the author a liar.

The Senate Intelligence Committee report released last week about intelligence missteps leading up to the war in Iraq were crystal clear about Wilson's falsehoods.

Wilson's insistence that his wife, CIA operative Valerie Plame, had nothing to do with his selection to lead a pre-Iraq war mission to Niger is a flat-out lie. She's the one who suggested Wilson in the first place, according to documents unearthed by the congressional committee.

Aside from revealing Wilson as the partisan phony he is, this new revelation puts in context why someone in the White House might have identified Plame to columnist Robert Novak in the first place. Wilson charged it was an act of political revenge because he was critical of President Bush's use of the pre-war intelligence. In fact, it is relevant to Wilson's credibility to understand why and how he was selected for the mission.

More importantly, both the British and Senate investigations found the raison d'etre for Wilson's presence on the national stage is false, too.

Remember those much-debated 16 lines in last year's State of the Union address? In a New York Times column, Wilson claimed Bush ``twisted intelligence'' by arguing Iraq was trying to purchase uranium from Niger. Wilson's investigation, he insisted, found no basis for it.

cw2We know now that truth is a relative thing to this former ambassador. And it turns out, according to both countries' reports on pre-war intelligence failures, Bush's assertion was absolutely correct.

Wilson's report provided ``some confirmation of foreign government service reporting'' about Iraq's interest in getting uranimum from Niger, according to the Senate. British investigators found Wilson's assertion that the report was based solely on forged documents also untrue. The substantiation for the British intelligence report on Niger came from ``several different sources.''

The political damage to Bush caused by Wilson's lies can't be undone. But at least now he has been undone by them, too.

Two points:

#1: It is no suprise Wilson is dishonest, and put his own interests/political motivations ahead of more important issues. Many on this very foum would do the same to bolster THEIR political leadership if they could.

#2: Regardless of how dishonest Wilson is, it does not excuse the inexcusable sin oif the Bush Administration "Outing" an intelligence agent of the USA. Such an act is just as deplorable and evil as wilsons own initial dishonesty.

It is the Politics of Hate that lead to these kinds of problems. Extremeism leads to divissiveness of such Angry hateful evil, and the results are as you see in this case. Left or Right, both did incredably WRONG things in this case.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 18 2004, 12:56 PM
    [b] Two points:

#1: It is no suprise Wilson is dishonest, and put his own interests/political motivations ahead of more important issues. Many on this very foum would do the same to bolster THEIR political leadership if they could.

#2: Regardless of how dishonest Wilson is, it does not excuse the inexcusable sin oif the Bush Administration "Outing" an intelligence agent of the USA. Such an act is just as deplorable and evil as wilsons own initial dishonesty.

It is the Politics of Hate that lead to these kinds of problems. Extremeism leads to divissiveness of such Angry hateful evil, and the results are as you see in this case. Left or Right, both did incredably WRONG things in this case. [/b][/quote]
    OK All and knowing Warfish..WHO outed her?? Names please
    otherwise you just sound like a Liberal Press flunky.. :rolleyes:

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jul 18 2004, 01:28 PM
    [b] OK All and knowing Warfish..WHO outed her?? Names please
    otherwise you just sound like a Liberal Press flunky.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    The identity of the snitch is not known with certainty at this time. But what is known is someone within the Bush Administration supplied the info about Plame's identity to Robert Novak who published it.

J Edgar Ashcrack went to the means of appointing a special prosecutor to investigate the matter. There a two key figures that are considered "persons of interest". One is Scooter Libby. The other I am not sure of.

The matter is serious enough that Bush has hired outside legal counsel just in case criminal charges are filed against him. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole+Jul 18 2004, 01:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (WestCoastMole @ Jul 18 2004, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@Jul 18 2004, 01:28 PM
    [b] OK All and knowing Warfish..WHO outed her?? Names please
    otherwise you just sound like a Liberal Press flunky.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    The identity of the snitch is not known with certainty at this time. But what is known is someone within the Bush Administration supplied the info about Plame&#39;s identity to Robert Novak who published it.

J Edgar Ashcrack went to the means of appointing a special prosecutor to investigate the matter. There a two key figures that are considered "persons of interest". One is Scooter Libby. The other I am not sure of.

The matter is serious enough that Bush has hired outside legal counsel just in case criminal charges are filed against him. ;) [/b][/quote]
    Ridiculous stretch of the truth; it was known throughout the Beltway she was a CIA operative be everyone (though it does not justify Novak&#39;s actions).

As far as the comments of the President bringing in legal counsel while being questioned on the affair; keep dreaming.

The dirtbags at DU think this will be the undoing of GWB....like everything else they are clueless in this prseumption.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by WestCoastMole[/i]@Jul 18 2004, 01:41 PM
    [b] The matter is serious enough that Bush has hired outside legal counsel just in case criminal charges are filed against him. ;) [/b][/quote]
    Now lefties think merely hiring a lawyer equates with guilt.

If that&#39;s true, explain your love affair with the clintons.