Thread: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]AP: Clinton Adviser Probed in Terror Memos

By JOHN SOLOMON [/b]

WASHINGTON - President Clinton (news - web sites)'s national security adviser, Sandy Berger, is the focus of a criminal investigation after admitting he removed highly classified terrorism documents from a secure reading room during preparations for the Sept. 11 commission hearings, The Associated Press has learned.

Berger's home and office were searched earlier this year by FBI (news - web sites) agents armed with warrants. Some drafts of a sensitive after-action report on the Clinton administration's handling of al-Qaida terror threats during the December 1999 millennium celebration are still missing.

Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed handwritten notes he had taken from classified anti-terror documents he reviewed at the National Archives by sticking them in his jacket and pants. He also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio, they said.

"I deeply regret the sloppiness involved, but I had no intention of withholding documents from the commission, and to the contrary, to my knowledge, every document requested by the commission from the Clinton administration was produced," Berger said in a statement to the AP.

Berger served as Clinton's national security adviser for all of the president's second term and most recently has been informally advising Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites). Clinton asked Berger last year to review and select the administration documents that would be turned over to the commission.

The FBI searched Berger's home and office with warrants earlier this year after employees of the National Archives told agents they believed they witnessed Berger put documents into his clothing while reviewing sensitive Clinton administration papers, officials said.

When asked, Berger said he returned some of the classified documents, which he found in his office, and all of the handwritten notes he had taken from the secure room, but said he could not locate two or three copies of the highly classified millennium terror report.

"In the course of reviewing over several days thousands of pages of documents on behalf of the Clinton administration in connection with requests by the Sept. 11 commission, I inadvertently took a few documents from the Archives," Berger said.

"When I was informed by the Archives that there were documents missing, I immediately returned everything I had except for a few document that I apparently had accidentally discarded," he said.

Lanny Breuer, one of Berger's attorneys, said his client has offered to cooperate fully with the investigation but has not been interviewed by the FBI or prosecutors. Berger has been told he is the subject of the investigation, Breuer said.

Government and congressional officials familiar with the investigation, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because the probe involves classified materials, said the investigation remains active and that no decision has been made on whether Berger should face criminal charges.

The officials said the missing documents were highly classified, and included critical assessments about the Clinton administration's handling of the millennium terror threats as well as identification of America's terror vulnerabilities at airports to sea ports.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder what Berger was hiding

Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed handwritten notes he had taken from classified anti-terror documents he reviewed at the National Archives by sticking them in his jacket and pants. He also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio, they said.

"In the course of reviewing over several days thousands of pages of documents on behalf of the Clinton administration in connection with requests by the Sept. 11 commission, I inadvertently took a few documents from the Archives," Berger said.

inadvertently :rolleyes:

Looks like Mr. Oral Office is hiding a few things.

Tom The Nader Fan™
    <wrong thread> :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    How do you "inadvertently" stick something in your pants?

From the administration that couldn&#39;t define the meaning of "is", thought oral sex wasn&#39;t sex, and after saying the phrase "I don&#39;t recall" around 650 million times in front of grand juries can now fill libraries with tedious memoirs, a new low.

Yeah, bring&#39;em on back to run the show for Fred Gwynne Jr. and the Breck Guy.

[quote][b].....and after saying the phrase "I don&#39;t recall" around 650 million times.....[/b][/quote]

Ronald Reagan. Iran/Contra illegal arms dealing. Set world record for "I don&#39;t recall" statements.

Hall Of Fame
    Nah, Senator Clinton has that record locked up.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 11:39 PM
    [b] [quote][b].....and after saying the phrase "I don&#39;t recall" around 650 million times.....[/b][/quote]

Ronald Reagan. Iran/Contra illegal arms dealing. Set world record for "I don&#39;t recall" statements. [/b][/quote]
    Oh there&#39;s a shiny bauble to distract me...

they actually stopped millenium attacks..MORE than I can say for bush and co....

how about that aug 6th memo that Bush tried to conceal...what did it say again..oh yeah i remember.." Bin Laden determined to attack in The US"..
    "possible hijacking of planes"...

<_<

Hall Of Fame
    [b] [quote][b].....and after saying the phrase "I don&#39;t recall" around 650 million times.....[/b][/quote]

"I don&#39;t have anything to add to this particular debate regarding this particular issue, but I do know that both sides are finks and feel like pointing that out for the billionth time, demostrating (again) my open-mindedness&#33;" [/b][/quote]
    This is what Warfish meant.... ;)

Tom The Nader Fan™
    OK somebody is fcking with me.

Every time I respond in another thread, is shows up posted in this one.

Gee, I wonder who it could be? A girlie man, lacking substance or integrity? A member of the ruckus group, perhaps? :lol:

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 11:24 PM
    [b] How do you "inadvertently" stick something in your pants?
    [/b][/quote]
    The same way you "inadvertantly" pull something out.

the same way you inadvertently look like a deer caught in the headlights for 7 minutes after hearing the words, " America is under attack" :

All Pro
    [b] Ronald Reagan. Iran/Contra illegal arms dealing. Set world record for "I don&#39;t recall" statements. [/b][/quote]
    Now, which poster is it that always posts how us right wingers should stop invoking the misdeeds of bill clinton and stick to the current issue at hand?

Hmmmm, I wish I could remember the name of that "moderate"...

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 11:01 AM
    [b] the same way you inadvertently look like a deer caught in the headlights for 7 minutes after hearing the words, " America is under attack" : [/b][/quote]
    Maybe he should have jumped up and started screaming like a raving leftist loony, that would have been comforting.

maybe he could have acted like..i don&#39;t know ..a LEADER&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Very simple question-what should Bush have done?

Acting like Abe Gibron in the lockerroom on camera in front of a bunch of grammar school kids wouldn&#39;t have cut it. Obviously, he was in shock that America was now at war. I&#39;d like to think who ever was president would&#39;ve acted in roughly the manner Bush did.

That was the craziest day any of us have ever lived. I went to get my stepson from school that day. There were children in that school who were just learning that their fathers(some firemen, some stockbrokers) had been killed. And that scene was repeated all over the NYC area. What other than what he did should he have done?

Please-enough bullspit-what would have been apporpriate for Bush to do? It&#39;s awfully easy to badmouth him, call him stupid or in the alternative an evil genius. OUT WITH IT OR SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY&#33;

This is obviously serious but I laughed my head off. Only a Clinton member could/would do this.

"ap:clinton advisor probed in terror news"

bring back the good ole days when clintons interns were being probed, we&#39;ll have a do over & thwart 9/11
    that said I still think bush would have us in Iraq

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jul 20 2004, 09:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jul 20 2004, 09:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 11:39 PM

"I don&#39;t have anything to add to this particular debate regarding this particular issue, but I do know that both sides are finks and feel like pointing that out for the billionth time, demostrating (again) my open-mindedness&#33;" [/b][/quote]
    This is what Warfish meant.... ;) [/b][/quote]
    ROFLMAO, bloody brilliant Jets5. Nice&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol: