Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge Decides Peoples Rights Are Better Than Safte

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/213958p-184246c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/213...8p-184246c.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Nitwit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ridiculous. The loonies win. They had a bomb go off in the subway at Times Square last night.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 08:29 AM
    [b] Ridiculous. The loonies win. They had a bomb go off in the subway at Times Square last night. [/b][/quote]
    Times Square was a mess last night cause of it. 8th ave was completely shut down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wrong..The police can still search bags of ANYONE who looks dangerous...That means any arab looking man!...if anything it frees the cops up from unneccesarily searching 18 years olds for beer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 20 2004, 08:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 20 2004, 08:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 08:29 AM
    [b] Ridiculous. The loonies win. They had a bomb go off in the subway at Times Square last night. [/b][/quote]
    Times Square was a mess last night cause of it. 8th ave was completely shut down. [/b][/quote]
    What time did it happen? I took a train to Shea at 5:29 from Penn Station and didn&#39;t notice anything different.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    freedom > safety

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet+Jul 20 2004, 08:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JumbalayaJet @ Jul 20 2004, 08:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Jul 20 2004, 08:34 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 08:29 AM
    Times Square was a mess last night cause of it. 8th ave was completely shut down. [/b][/quote]
    What time did it happen? I took a train to Shea at 5:29 from Penn Station and didn&#39;t notice anything different. [/b][/quote]
    I left my apartment (44th in between 8th and 9th) at 8:15. 8th Ave was closed to everyone including pedestrians from 42 to 44. They also stop running trains on the 1239 and ACE in the Times Square Station and the 1239 at Penn Station(possibly more lines, I don&#39;t know.) I dont know what time they started to operate normally again. Pretty strange to see since no one knew what was going on. I didnt find out until 2:30 when I got home.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Jul 20 2004, 10:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Jul 20 2004, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -JumbalayaJet@Jul 20 2004, 08:59 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Jul 20 2004, 08:34 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--JumbalayaJet[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 08:29 AM
    What time did it happen? I took a train to Shea at 5:29 from Penn Station and didn&#39;t notice anything different. [/b][/quote]
    I left my apartment (44th in between 8th and 9th) at 8:15. 8th Ave was closed to everyone including pedestrians from 42 to 44. They also stop running trains on the 1239 and ACE in the Times Square Station and the 1239 at Penn Station(possibly more lines, I don&#39;t know.) I dont know what time they started to operate normally again. Pretty strange to see since no one knew what was going on. I didnt find out until 2:30 when I got home. [/b][/quote]
    :o The first time I use the subway since 9/11 and this has to happen.... :( Looks like Jetgirl isn&#39;t using the subway anymore.........We were through there about 11:00pm and all was peaceful..... :huh:

Well sort of peaceful.......the conductor on the Path wanted me off his train last night because I was wearing my Piazza shirt and Met hat.....he said no Met fans on his train....... :lol: :lol: Bastid&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i&#39;m at a loss for how searching backpacks and big bags invades my privacy. unless i&#39;m carting around drugs or bombs it seems i&#39;d have nothing to hide. i would think a forced search of my car or house would fall under this heading better, even though cars are ok to search minus a warrant. they&#39;re not talking about arresting everyone to stop the protest. they just want to inspect bags.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they have no right to search my bags..period...but the law says they can search a bag if they think there&#39;s a threat...makes sense to me...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 10:58 AM
    [b] they have no right to search my bags..period...but the law says they can search a bag if they think there&#39;s a threat...makes sense to me... [/b][/quote]
    They do have the right to search ones bags if they believe there can be a threat. When a cop pulls you over, they can search your car if they choose to.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safety at what price? The proposed measures to check bags would have NO impact on terrorist activities...merely cut into personal freedom. It would set a dangerous precedent, allowing the police to indiscriminately dig through anyone&#39;s bags for "safety." Is the next logical step random home searches for bomb-making materials?

Sorry, but if a terrorist is committed to getting a bomb in there, he&#39;d just strap it to his body and wear loose clothes. Isn&#39;t that the typical M.O. of suicide bombers?

Interestingly, I think the judge left the door open with the language "specific threat." That phrase is very vague. He basically said "No you can&#39;t do it, but you can do it if you think there&#39;s a threat." Seems close to a non-decision to me. As said before, this ruling gives the the police the freedom to follow dangerous looking activity while keeping a decision to allow random searches off the books.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Zombo[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 10:55 AM
    [b] i would think a forced search of my car or house would fall under this heading better, even though cars are ok to search minus a warrant. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s only ok to search a car if there is something illegal in plain view of the police or the driver gives permission (same as a house).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it really be that bad if someone blew up a bunch of Republicans and MSG?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 11:20 AM
    [b] Would it really be that bad if someone blew up a bunch of Republicans and MSG? [/b][/quote]
    I dont care what your political views are, THAT IS ONE DISGUSTING POST&#33;&#33; So now because someone believes something different, you wish them harm.

What you are saying is you wish for an Attack on NYC again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The officer will ask you permission to search and if you refuse, if they want, they will get a search warrent and search it anyway. Your just making them go through the trouble of getting a warrent.

And for those of you who dont like police searching your bags, if you have nothing to hide then what are you worried about? If another 9/11 takes place, martial law is an option, and you will NOT like that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I dont care what your political views are, THAT IS ONE DISGUSTING POST&#33;&#33; So now because someone believes something different, you wish them harm.

What you are saying is you wish for an Attack on NYC again.
    [/b][/quote]

You know I&#39;m kidding. Besides they are referring to people on the street meaning that a bomb would most likely affect the thousands of protesters outside.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 09:20 AM
    [b] Would it really be that bad if someone blew up a bunch of Republicans and MSG? [/b][/quote]
    And you my friend are a joke. Is that how your lefty views are depicted? Please go edit that post before everyone sees it and looses all respect for you.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Vinny025[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 11:23 AM
    [b] The officer will ask you permission to search and if you refuse, if they want, they will get a search warrent and search it anyway. Your just making them go through the trouble of getting a warrent.

And for those of you who dont like police searching your bags, if you have nothing to hide then what are you worried about? If another 9/11 takes place, martial law is an option, and you will NOT like that. [/b][/quote]
    Dangerous argument. If you&#39;ve got nothing to hide in your house, what do you care if the police come search it? Nothing to hide, why do they have to ask your permission to come in? Why do you have to be there? Why not get your DNA put on file? Just a very dangerous path to be led down.