Thread: NEW DESIGN FOR THE BUNKER BUSTER

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

'Bunker busters' may grow to 30,000 pounds
    U.S. Air Force seeking deep impact on hard-to-reach targets
    From Barbara Starr
    CNN Washington Bureau
    Tuesday, July 20, 2004 Posted: 3:01 PM EDT (1901 GMT)

The proposed bomb would be about six times the weight of this "bunker buster," the laser-guided GBU-28.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- It's just an idea on paper, but the U.S. Air Force is asking defense contractors how they might develop a 30,000-pound, precision-guided bomb that could destroy targets deep underground, in caves or in hardened bunkers.

Air Force officials said the proposed weapon, called the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, would be substantially larger than the current penetrating bomb -- the GBU-28, a 5,000-pound weapon.

Military officials said the most likely use of such a weapon would be against underground targets such as those found in North Korea.

The Air Force initially considered the development of a 30,000-pound penetrating bomb before the Iraq war, but funding and technical challenges stifled movement.

After the invasion, Air Force weapons experts examined several bomb sites in Iraq and learned targets could not be fully destroyed using the current inventory of conventional weapons.

However, Air Force officials said they are uncertain whether the concept of a bigger bomb can be brought to reality or that there would be available funding.

The Air Force concept calls for the bomb to be deployed on B-2 or B-52 bombers. The weapon would be guided by use of Global Positioning System satellite coordinates.

Engineering obstacles must be overcome, according to Air Force officials.

One challenge would be the need to carry two bombs on an aircraft to keep the plane stable in flight. Both bombs probably would need to be dropped at the same time for the bomber to maintain level flight, officials said.

Air Force officials said the bomb's structure would incorporate some type of heavy alloy that would make up most of the weight, allowing it to penetrate the target. An advanced or "smart" fuse also would be part of the system, so that detonation would occur only after the bomb reached the target, they said.

The Air Force said it is prepared to spend $11 million on weapon design and demonstration, with testing possibly beginning in 2006.

This bomb concept, informally known as the "Big Blue," differs from the Massive Ordnance Air Blast, a 20,000-pound weapon packed with 18,000 pounds of explosives. The MOAB bomb is designed to explode above ground for destruction of widespread surface targets such as troops and tanks.

I'm sure Kerry voted against that bomb too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Id love to see these in action over in the Middle East

Does anyone know if that MOAB Bomb vid clip is still online? That was wicked! Mother Of All Bombs aka MOAB.

LL

Bin Laden is safe and sound and sitting in a house right over the afghan border in pakistan..it doesn't take a bunker buster to get him..Just some willingness on team Bush...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 04:31 PM
    [b] Bin Laden is safe and sound and sitting in a house right over the afghan border in pakistan..it doesn't take a bunker buster to get him..Just some willingness on team Bush... [/b][/quote]
    Since you know so much and find it easy to criticize, just go over there and get him.

[quote][i]Originally posted by latinlawyer[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 04:24 PM
    [b] Does anyone know if that MOAB Bomb vid clip is still online? That was wicked! Mother Of All Bombs aka MOAB.

LL [/b][/quote]
    [url=http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2003/030311-D-9085M-004.ram]http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2003/03...D-9085M-004.ram[/url]

they aren'y even looking pal...

All League
    Charter JI Member

Am I the only one who thinks he's already dead?

I mean, we haven't seen a new videotape since the bombing of Tora-Bora.

It's in the best interest of the Bush administration to keep the spectre of their villian alive, and in the best interest of the terrorists to make heir hero seem invincible. That's why neither will admit he already bit the big one.

not that our intelligence agency's, or those who overlook them..or the executive branch, can ever really be taken seriouly..but they did 'verify' his voice on audio tapes only a month or so ago...
    according to bush he's just not that important anymore! another slap in the face of the american people//

[Am I the only one who thinks he's already dead?]

No. I think that he's on ice and his body will conveniently appear in October. Just in time for the election.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 04:52 PM
    [b] [Am I the only one who thinks he's already dead?]

No. I think that he's on ice and his body will conveniently appear in October. Just in time for the election. [/b][/quote]
    Kill two sets of jackasses with one stone...

[Kill two sets of jackasses with one stone... ]

Your post makes no sense. Well it makes sense in that you're calling me a jackass, which is par for the course for you. When you don't agree with something you resort to personal attacks. But what I don't know is who is going to kill me? You? That would be something to see. I'll bet the toughest thing that you've ever done was smash a Dixie Chicks CD. Hope you didn't cut your hand.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 05:14 PM
    [b] [Kill two sets of jackasses with one stone... ]

Your post makes no sense. Well it makes sense in that you're calling me a jackass, which is par for the course for you. When you don't agree with something you resort to personal attacks. But what I don't know is who is going to kill me? You? That would be something to see. I'll bet the toughest thing that you've ever done was smash a Dixie Chicks CD. Hope you didn't cut your hand. [/b][/quote]
    Gobbles, it is obvious that the Jackass's he is referring to are the following:

Jackass 1) Osama Bin Ladin
    Jackass 2) The democrats, whose party symbol is a donkey aka: a jackass

Nobody attacked you personally so now you may appologize to weeb

i hate to say it but don't be surprised if Bush delivers OBL just in time for the election

when it happens please don't tell me it was just a coincedence

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 05:32 PM
    [b] i hate to say it but don't be surprised if Bush delivers OBL just in time for the election

when it happens please don't tell me it was just a coincedence [/b][/quote]
    Even though i dont like bush or Kerry, I have a feeling that sometime in October...We will "capture" Osama. Something tells me we will make a breakthrough....

LL

while I wish he was dead, I find it hard to believe bush is keeping him on ice for election purposes, especially in this new media infested world we live in

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gobbles[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 05:14 PM
    [b] When you don't agree with something you resort to personal attacks. [/b][/quote]
    Ha ha ha!

I'd tell you to take a good hard look in the mirror, but what good would it do? You're going to vote for John Kerry. You're capacity for self delusion is irreparable.

Tell me, Gobbles? What's is like to have your head up your @$$?

Do you get used to smell after a while?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Tom The Nader Fan™+Jul 20 2004, 07:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Tom The Nader Fan™ @ Jul 20 2004, 07:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gobbles[/i]@Jul 20 2004, 05:14 PM
    [b] When you don&#39;t agree with something you resort to personal attacks. [/b][/quote]
    Ha ha ha&#33;

I&#39;d tell you to take a good hard look in the mirror, but what good would it do? You&#39;re going to vote for John Kerry. You&#39;re capacity for self delusion is irreparable.

Tell me, Gobbles? What&#39;s is like to have your head up your @&#036;&#036;?

Do you get used to smell after a while? [/b][/quote]
    Remember when you drew a swastika on your forehead with ashes from the ashtray and said you were going to kill yourself? I stayed up all night with you to make sure that you didn&#39;t. I&#39;m kinda having some regrets now.