Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: delgado..speaking his mind..i dig it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=545&u=/ap/20040722/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_sports_showcase_3&printer=1]http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=...ase_3&printer=1[/url]

If you boo a guy for using his freedom of ecpression, you are a true moron..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you expect from a joker whose been living in France eeerrrrrr I mean Canada for the past 8 years.

He'll be boooed in every stadium in America and rightfully so,.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it bothers me that america has linked sports and politics together..
    it bothers me that every superbowl is now a spotlight for our military hardware..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 04:39 PM
    [b] it bothers me that america has linked sports and politics together..
    it bothers me that every superbowl is now a spotlight for our military hardware.. [/b][/quote]
    Then leave, I'm sure Canada would love to have you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    'love it or leave it'...

the response of many a non thinker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 04:44 PM
    [b] 'love it or leave it'...

the response of many a non thinker. [/b][/quote]
    you calling him a non thinker is like a skunk calling a cat stinky.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 04:44 PM
    [b] 'love it or leave it'...

the response of many a non thinker. [/b][/quote]
    Coming from a liberal, that is comical.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I questioned the gov't when blacks were being hung from trees in the south..would you call me a frenchy or tell me to go to canada...it aint easy pal..it's easier to NOT think and just say love it or leave...I feel bad for you repubs...it has to be sad waking up and realising how absolutely dumb and fare right yr pres is..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, and I know I'll possibly get slammed hard for this, but.....

There is nothing at all wrong with what Delgado is doing. He doesn't think Baseball must equal "God Bless America", and that is perfectly fine. I'll be honest, I do not know WHAT he is avoiding it for (the overt Patriotism, the Religious part, or something else). But he isn't seeking attention (it's been going on for awhile now, it's only getting attention now because it's a quiet time in SportsTalk and they have little else to jabber about right now) or bothering anyone else, or asking others to join him. He is simply doing his thing in quiet, then playing the rest of the game.

Yes, it is very much the crowds right to Boo him (and your right to hate him) if they wish for this, but in the grand scheme I just don't understand why they would bother? It is really not a big deal in any way, and it doesn't affect anyone else but him. Why hate or Boo someone for something that affects only himself and not you?

And "Love it and Obay or Get Out" is not a legitimate argument IMO, sorry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 04:55 PM
    [b] If I questioned the gov't when blacks were being hung from trees in the south..would you call me a frenchy or tell me to go to canada...it aint easy pal..it's easier to NOT think and just say love it or leave...I feel bad for you repubs...it has to be sad waking up and realising how absolutely dumb and fare right yr pres is.. [/b][/quote]
    Keep the ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN talking points alive simpleman. You're really thinking for yourself :lol:

And it's quite comforting that there is a REP in office as opposed to Mr. Oral office, Sandy Burglar and the rest of the criminals on the loony left.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 04:55 PM
    [b]If I questioned the gov't when blacks were being hung from trees in the south..would you call me a frenchy or tell me to go to canada...it aint easy pal..it's easier to NOT think and just say love it or leave...I feel bad for you repubs...it has to be sad waking up and realising how absolutely dumb and fare right yr pres is..[/b][/quote]
    It must be hard looking in the mirror in the morning and seeing this:

[img]http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/18609/ugly12.JPG[/img]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's so funny!
    The only people I've ever heard use the ' love it or leave it' argument where all dumb meatheads!
    the people who never ever left the tri-state area..BRUCE was the only music they listened to..everyone of their friends looked Exactly the same..had the same jobs..etc etc..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's so funny!
    The only people I've ever heard use the ' love it or leave it' argument where all dumb meatheads!
    the people who never ever left the tri-state area..BRUCE was the only music they listened to..everyone of their friends looked Exactly the same..had the same jobs..etc etc..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Jul 22 2004, 05:00 PM
    [b] it's so funny!
    the people who never ever left the tri-state area..BRUCE was the only music they listened to..everyone of their friends looked Exactly the same..had the same jobs..etc etc.. [/b][/quote]
    And all the anti-American fairies like yourself usually ride around in a VWbug and have a rainbow sticker on it's bumper.

koom-by-yah simpleman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sooo far off simpleton

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Jays' Delgado flies away during 'God Bless America'

BY SOLANGE REYNER
    STAFF WRITER

July 22, 2004

Yankee Stadium is the only major-league ballpark that plays a rendition of "God Bless America" all season during the seventh-inning stretch. Last night, it followed the routine -- and Carlos Delgado followed his. The Toronto Blue Jays first baseman does not stand when the song is played, his protest of the war in Iraq. Last night, when "God Bless America" was played, he was out of sight.

Earlier this month, Delgado detailed his viewpoints on the war and his quiet protest in the Toronto Star. "I never stay outside for 'God Bless America,' " Delgado said. "I actually don't think people have noticed it. I don't because I don't believe it's right, I don't believe in the war."

Last night, he had no additional comment on the subject.

But he had a lot to say in Toronto. The Puerto Rican native, who was signed by the Blue Jays when he was 16, was involved in the campaign to end the U.S. military's use of the Puer.to Rican Island of Vieques as a site for weapons testing. After 60 years of bombing exercises, testing finally was ended there in May 2003.

Delgado still sees problems with the land and wants the United States to help clean up the mess it left behind, including economic concerns and extraordinarily high cancer rates.

Most people weren't aware of Delgado's decision to take a seat during the playing of "God Bless America." Even commissioner Bud Selig wasn't aware of the situation until informed this week by a columnist from the New York Times.

Yankees manager Joe Torre, when informed before last night's game about Delgado's protest, said: "I wasn't aware of it. I don't think it will be received kindly because it has become public."

It wasn't. Fans chanted "USA, USA" when Delgado lined out in the seventh and derisive shouts were made in his direction when the song was played.

With the Blue Jays trailing 10-3, Delgado was removed in the middle of the seventh and was in the clubhouse when "God Bless America" was played.

Maxman
    This is a baseball topic. I demand it be moved to the baseball forum.

This is an outrage. People starting threads in the wrong forums. I demand justice.

By the way, I already started the same thread this morning in the MLB forum. So this is really a copyright infringement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's right

the war is stupid. Completely utterly stupid. We went to war for WMD that we can't find, to help a people that don't want us there, and oh yes, no end in sight.

also he's not an American citizen so it's not like he is being treasonous not standing

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet he has no problem spending all those greenbacks with God Bless America on them.

Funny huh.

Why doesn't he make a real stand and refuse to play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b] derisive shouts were made in his direction when the song was played. [/b][/quote]
    I'm no fan of his position on things and his actions, and I don't think what he's doing is right (but it's still America where folks are free to express themselves, no matter how assinine they look and act) but if the song and country are to be respected, isn't it just as classless to shout crap at him during God Bless America?

You want to talk about classless, the last time I was at Shea, AND the last time I was at Yankee Stadium, I noticed a few folks who didn't even take off their caps for the National Anthem. And they're not protesting anything. :blink: