Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: If the Nets get Shareef

  1. #1
    TomShane
    Guest
    Nets in talks for Shareef

    Nets general manager Ed Stefanski met with Portland GM John Nash for the second straight day yesterday to discuss a trade for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
    However, a league source said the two teams are not close to consummating a deal that could send Kerry Kittles, Aaron Williams and perhaps a first-round pick to the Blazers for the 6-9 former All-Star.

    "We are trying to push to get something done," said Aaron Goodwin, Abdur-Rahim's agent.

    Stefanski and Nash are both in Salt Lake City attending the Rocky Mountain Revue summer league. Sources say the Blazers aren't crazy about what the Nets are offering for Abdur-Rahim, who wants to be traded. Portland, which likely wants the Nets' potential lottery pick (via the Clippers) acquired in the Kenyon Martin trade with Denver, is looking for a defensive-oriented guard and a backup center.

    Incoming owner Bruce Ratner would have to approve a deal for Abdur-Rahim, who has one year left on his contract that will pay him $14.6 million.





    Still a long way off, but if SHreef is on this team when camp opens, then the Nets are a better squad automatically. He's a guy, unlike Kenyon, that can put it in the hole without having to have Kidd set him up every time.

  2. #2
    They will also be without a shooting guard or backup PF/C. Shareef makes them better in the half court, but weaker on the break and weaker defensively. You have to give up another starter and your 6/7th man to get him. They'd be much better with him than without him at this point, but unless they get a quality 2 and some decent front court depth with their mid-level exception, and who knows if the Rat will use it, they're still not better than they were at the end of the season. Kittles is no star, but they Nets will have have lost 2 of their best fast break players on a fast break team.

  3. #3
    TomShane
    Guest
    Originally posted by cdflip78@Jul 24 2004, 10:23 AM
    They will also be without a shooting guard or backup PF/C. Shareef makes them better in the half court, but weaker on the break and weaker defensively. You have to give up another starter and your 6/7th man to get him. They'd be much better with him than without him at this point, but unless they get a quality 2 and some decent front court depth with their mid-level exception, and who knows if the Rat will use it, they're still not better than they were at the end of the season. Kittles is no star, but they Nets will have have lost 2 of their best fast break players on a fast break team.
    The last fast break team to win a title was...

  4. #4
    Originally posted by TomShane+Jul 24 2004, 12:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Jul 24 2004, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--cdflip78@Jul 24 2004, 10:23 AM
    They will also be without a shooting guard or backup PF/C. Shareef makes them better in the half court, but weaker on the break and weaker defensively. You have to give up another starter and your 6/7th man to get him. They&#39;d be much better with him than without him at this point, but unless they get a quality 2 and some decent front court depth with their mid-level exception, and who knows if the Rat will use it, they&#39;re still not better than they were at the end of the season. Kittles is no star, but they Nets will have have lost 2 of their best fast break players on a fast break team.
    The last fast break team to win a title was... [/b][/quote]
    The Magic Johnson Lakers

    I could have asked you before Detroit won the Championship, who was the last team with this little offense that won, and the answer goes back to the same time period as the Magic Johnson Lakers.... the Bad Boys of the 80&#39;s and early 90&#39;s.

    It&#39;s also pretty irrelevant because if you have Jason Kidd and Jefferson, you&#39;re gonna run. You don&#39;t have a Kobe, or Shaq, or Jordan, or Wilt or Kareem. You have to play to your strength. What the Nets are doing now kinda reminds me of Herm playing a system that requires speedy linebackers yet never bringing one in until this season.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Bayou
    Posts
    3,215
    Did you guys happen to catch Shareef&#39;s Blazers career?

    Better than Kenyon Martin... :lol: :lol: :lol:

  6. #6
    Troll, not sure if you&#39;re being sarcastic or not, but it appears as though he&#39;s not coming anyway. As a Nets fan I can take solace in the fact that Eddie Griffin will be starting at power forward in place of Kenyon.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Bayou
    Posts
    3,215
    Shareef was terrible in Portland. Be glad your tightwad owner didn&#39;t spend cash to bring him in, otherwise, you guys might have never signed another player or make another trade until the end of time after this has-been burned y&#39;all.

  8. #8
    TomShane
    Guest
    Originally posted by cdflip78+Jul 24 2004, 01:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cdflip78 @ Jul 24 2004, 01:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -TomShane@Jul 24 2004, 12:32 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--cdflip78
    @Jul 24 2004, 10:23 AM
    They will also be without a shooting guard or backup PF/C.* Shareef makes them better in the half court, but weaker on the break and weaker defensively.* You have to give up another starter and your 6/7th man to get him.* They&#39;d be much better with him than without him at this point, but unless they get a quality 2 and some decent front court depth with their mid-level exception, and who knows if the Rat will use it, they&#39;re still not better than they were at the end of the season.* Kittles is no star, but they Nets will have have lost 2 of their best fast break players on a fast break team.

    The last fast break team to win a title was...
    The Magic Johnson Lakers

    I could have asked you before Detroit won the Championship, who was the last team with this little offense that won, and the answer goes back to the same time period as the Magic Johnson Lakers.... the Bad Boys of the 80&#39;s and early 90&#39;s.

    It&#39;s also pretty irrelevant because if you have Jason Kidd and Jefferson, you&#39;re gonna run. You don&#39;t have a Kobe, or Shaq, or Jordan, or Wilt or Kareem. You have to play to your strength. What the Nets are doing now kinda reminds me of Herm playing a system that requires speedy linebackers yet never bringing one in until this season. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t see it as irrelevant at all. The way it works out is if you&#39;re planning on winning it all, you better be able to get yourself a couple of clean shots in the half court set coming down the stretch in the Finals. The Nets, with Martin, couldn&#39;t do that if their lives depended on it. If they get Reef, at least they have someone who can square up on a forward and get his shot off.

  9. #9
    Who the last fast-break team to win the Championship is, is completely irrelevant. That was my point. The Nets are a fast-break team. As long as Kidd is here, that&#39;s what they are. You can&#39;t say, we won&#39;t run a up and down style even though that&#39;s what Kidd excels at because there hasn&#39;t been a team to win the Championship with that style in 15-20 years. You play to your strength. I wasn&#39;t saying SAR isn&#39;t better in the half court, I&#39;m saying Martin, Kittles, and Williams are better than SAR and who the last fast break team to win the Championship is not really relevant.

  10. #10
    Rahim would have been a nice addition. The cost is quite high though, since that would have meant that 2 of your key players from the style that best suits your teams are gone in Martin and Kittles. Changing your style of play is a tough thing to do, when you still have Kidd and Jefferson around, who like the fast break style.

    Nets still need something at PF. Guys like a Vin Baker are not the answer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us