Thread: NBC Admits Biased Pro-Kerry Media Fail to Hurt GWB

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Shocking admission[/b]

NBC reported today that the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows the "race is tied even though Kerry has received mostly positive media coverage since selecting Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., as his running mate, while the Bush White House has seen less-than-positive news on key fronts."

"In a period that should be very good for the Democrats with the Edwards announcement, the president has more than held his own," said Democrat pollster Peter D. Hart, of NBC/Journal polling team Hart/Teeter. "Having said that, it still remains a contest which is exceptionally difficult for Bush. ... He continues to have an uphill walk."

This survey shows the Bush-Cheney ticket supported by 47 percent of registered voters and Kerry-Edwards by 45 percent. Two percent backed Nader and his running mate, Peter Camejo.

The margin of error: plus or minus 3 percentage points.

The previous NBC/Journal poll, released June 30, had Bush at 45 percent, Kerry at 44 percent and Nader at 4 percent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see all these dem talking heads on the circuit talking about how the tie reflects the fact that Americans don't yet know john kerry.

Can't wait until they do...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dump Kerry/Draft Hillary movement will grow leaps and bounds after the conclusion of the Democratic Party convention.

And maybe Democratic party leaders want it that way.

I'm tellin' ya - the rank-and-file voting democrats don't/won't warm up to Kerry!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have said it a dozen times.....regardless of what the polls say today, there is absolutly NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA chance that John Kerry will defeat GW Bush in the upcoming election. It is simply not going to happen.

Annyone who thinks otherwise is merely fooling themselves.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 24 2004, 09:42 PM
    [b] I have said it a dozen times.....regardless of what the polls say today, there is absolutly NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA chance that John Kerry will defeat GW Bush in the upcoming election. It is simply not going to happen.

Annyone who thinks otherwise is merely fooling themselves. [/b][/quote]
    From your typed words to god's ears.

Hanoi John would be an even bigger distaster than the Oral Office crew.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 24 2004, 09:42 PM
    [b] I have said it a dozen times.....regardless of what the polls say today, there is absolutly NO, ZERO, NONE, NADA chance that John Kerry will defeat GW Bush in the upcoming election. It is simply not going to happen.

Annyone who thinks otherwise is merely fooling themselves. [/b][/quote]
    In order for George Bush to win this November he has to beat John Kerry.

In order for John Kerry to win this November he has to beat George Bush, Ralph Nader, and Democrats who are willing to wait and run Hillary in '08.

GO JETS!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even the most virulent Bush hating Dems have nothing good to say about Kerry. This morning on Clinton Radio (err America) the hosts were talking about how the important thing was to get Bush out of office. They basically said that they could revisit the Kerry issue in 4 years but for now they'd have to put up with him. Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the DNC's paid infomercial.

Tom The Nader Fan™
    Speaking of bias, imagine a university that does the following:

Pays repeat-loser presidential candidate Pat Buchanan $13,000 to give a commencement address on “Making a difference” (a speech about the importance of abolishing the IRS, closing the borders, and cutting foreign aid to Israel)

Funds a Women’s Resource Center that sponsors bus trips to pro-life rallies in Washington – but not pro-choice ones

Funds a Student Lectureship Committee that denies funding for a lecture by liberal actor Al Franken on the grounds that he is “too political”

Hires six times more conservative professors than liberal professors

Requires all Economics majors to take a course taught from the perspective that Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco misunderstood what fascism is all about and that it is really a compassionate economic system

Enacts a “speech code” that is used to punish students who offend the sensibilities of Republicans (who were oppressed in the post-Civil War South) and Christians (who have been oppressed around the world for millennia)
    Such an institution would be roundly denounced as incredibly political – an intellectual gulag, even. And rightly so.

But here’s the problem: take each bullet point above and turn it around so it disadvantages conservatives instead of liberals, and you have exactly what most universities do today. In fact, every fake example I cited above is something I have seen on my own campus, except backwards. (I don’t have space here to describe each incident, but interested readers should consult [url]www.bucknellconservatives.org[/url].)

Somehow or another, universities like mine, despite all their rank partisanship, aren’t seen as political – but those who criticize their political bias are. The Bucknell Conservatives Club has been called “McCarthyite” for doing a study that proved there are six times more Democrats on the faculty than Republicans. The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education is routinely and falsely labeled “conservative” for pointing out campus speech codes and the way they are enforced only against expression that offends leftist sensibilities. (Notably, Bucknell’s speech codewas not enforced when conservatives were called Nazis.) And David Horowitz’s Academic Bill of Rights is accused of politicizing the academy for trying to eliminate its current politicization!

See the pattern? Ideas that dissent from the prevailing orthodoxy are immediately branded “political,” but liberal ideas never are. I don’t claim to be a brain surgeon, but I think I know why that is. It’s sheer intellectual laziness.

Think about it. As a campus conservative, my ideas are routinely challenged – when I go to class, when I walk through the Student Union, when I go to a lecture, you name it. But that does not happen to the lefties. Conservatives on campus are so rare – and even when they exist, they are so often “in the closet” – that liberal ideas such as universal health care are seldom challenged. People forget that such ideas are subject to informed debate, rather than something all civilized beings accept as truth – which is just another way of saying they’re political.

And you know what? That’s a lot worse for my friends on the left than it is for me. College ought to be a place where everyone’s beliefs are questioned on a regular basis – that’s how we figure out if we really believe something and if so, why. Having to constantly second-guess myself has made me stronger. And I pity all the tree huggers, pacifists, and PETA-loving hamburger haters who have never had to do the same.

That – despite Jason Browning’s assumption to the contrary – is my problem with today’s ivory tower and, in the case of Nader, why I remain upset about this year’s scam of a commencement address. A university, by definition, ought not be political – no matter which side of the spectrum it favors.

The idea of a “conservative university” is just as repugnant as the current rampant liberal bias. Both are inimical to what higher education ought to be about: the dispassionate pursuit of truth. And no one should be more upset about it than the liberals, as intellectual laziness makes their ideas increasingly boring and brittle – kind of like Ralph Nader.

Charles Mitchell is a 2004 Townhall.com summer intern. A rising senior at Bucknell University, he serves as president of the Bucknell Conservatives, executive editor of their magazine The Counterweight, and vice chairman of Young Conservatives of Pennsylvania.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, thanks for the great read. That article really hit home for me. I'm attending USF here in Tampa, and the blatant leftist leanings of the faculty is appalling. I enjoyed my Lit professo pushing socialized medicine on me. In a class of 45-50 students (most of whom were teenagers), I was the only one to question not only his ideas, but the forum.

I also took a class on Environmentalism (I'm a sucker for punishment). Of course, the class was filled with tree-huggers, passing around one petition after another. The hatred and venom spewed at me when I refused to sign was surprising. Of course, I thanked them for being tolerant of my views.

The icing on the cake was my final project. While everyone did their project on water conservation, pollution or the wetlands, I did mine on the ban on DDT. It's a long story, but there is no proof that DDT is harmful to humans, and that millions have died a horrible death because of this ban. I'm proud to say that I was booed at the end of my report. The teacher, a former administrator in the EPA, told the class that I had great points and that removing the ban was something that should be considered. I basked in the stunned silence...

Bottom line, I actually have trouble understanding how conservatism survives at all. Anyone in the education system is brainwashed against it from day one.