Thread: How Would the D-Day Invasion be

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    D-Day:
    June, 6, 1944. D-Day. The Normandy invasion. The beginning of the end of
    World War II, and one of the most storied days in American military history.
    Today we celebrate not just the 60th anniversary of the event, but the lives
    of those who perished on the shores of Normandy and those who lived to fight
    for freedom in the days, weeks and months ahead. We are grateful for their
    sacrifice, their courage and honor, and for those who followed in Korea, Viet Nam,
    the Gulf War and now, Iraq.

But more than anything else, we should be grateful D-Day occurred during a more
    innocent time in America. If World War II had been fought in today's climate of
    political correctness and covered by our current military-hating national media,
    things would have been quite different.

In fact the story of D-Day might have read something like this...

June 6, 1944. -NORMANDY-
    Three hundred French civilians were killed and thousands more wounded today in
    the first hours of America's invasion of continental Europe. Casualties were heaviest
    among women and children.

Most of the French casualties were the result of artillery fire from American ships
    attempting to knock out German fortifications prior to the landing of hundreds of
    thousands of U.S. troops. Reports from a makeshift hospital in the French town of
    St. Mere Eglise said the carnage was far worse than the French had anticipated and
    reaction against the American invasion was running high.

"We are dying for no reason," said a Frenchman speaking on condition of anonymity.
    "Americans can't even shoot straight. I never thought I'd say this, but life was
    better under Adolph Hitler."

The invasion also caused severe environmental damage. American troops, tanks, trucks and machinery destroyed miles of pristine shoreline and thousands of acres of ecologically
    sensitive wetlands. It was believed that the habitat of the spineless French crab was
    completely wiped out, threatening the species with extinction

A representative of Greenpeace said his organization, which had tried to stall the
    invasion for over a year, was appalled at the destruction, but not surprised.

"This is just another example of how the military destroys the environment without a
    second thought, " said Christine Moanmore. "And it's all about corporate greed."

Contacted at his Manhattan condo, a member of the French government-in-exile who
    abandoned Paris when Hitler invaded said the invasion was based solely on American
    financial interests. "Everyone knows the President Roosevelt has ties to big beer,"
    said Pierre LeWimp. "Once the German beer industry is conquered, Roosevelt's beer
    cronies will control the world market and make a fortune."

Administration supporters said America's aggressive actions were based in part on the
    assertions of controversial scientist Albert Einstein, who sent a letter to Roosevelt
    speculating that the Germans were developing a secret weapon, a so-called "atomic bomb."
    Such a weapon could produce casualties on a scale never seen before and cause
    environmental damage that could last for thousands of years.

Hitler has denied having such a weapon and international inspectors were unable to
    locate such weapons even after spending two long weekends in Germany.

Shortly after the invasion began reports surfaced that German prisoners had been abused
    by Americans. Mistreatment of Jews by Germans at so-called "concentration camps" has
    been rumored but so far, remains unproven.

Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion and French officials are concerned that uncollected corpses pose a public health risk.

"The Americans should have planned for this in advance," they said. "It's their mess and
    we don't intend to clean it up."

Summary
    I'm glad the soldiers who fought and died so bravely on D-Day and throughout World War II
    did so decades ago.
    In the 1940s war was hell, but at least our troops didn't have to fight the folks back home.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sav, could you possibly be any more full of crap than this?? Comparing the current US situation to WWII is ludacrious, and you should know it. The differences bewteen this war and that far outweight ANY similarities (not that there are many).

Try not to let you blatant hate and disrespect for anything the doesn't follow your political ideology stand in the way of actually using your brain. :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Savage is right on...they'd pick every negative result from the invasion out and broadcast it in bold headlines. The comparison between WWII and the war on terror differs but if the media had their way the biased anti-American coverage would be the same.

I can see the NY Times talking about the torture and abuse of Japaneese in the interment camps from 1942-1952 on the front page.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I can see the NY Times talking about the torture and abuse of Japaneese in the interment camps from 1942-1952 on the front page.
    [/b][/quote]

Let me see if I have this strait CBTNY......

The New York Times would be complaining about.....

....a policy that that did nothing to help us win WWII....

.....a policy that violated the civil rights of patriotic Americans.....

.....a policy the US Government admitted was completely wrong-headed.....

.....a policy that resulted in millions of dollars in reparations being paid out to "correct"........

.....and a policy that was, put simply, wrong in every single aspect of it's concept and implemetation......

Wow, that WOULD be such a shame wouldn't it lad. Friggin shame to top all.

Right is right and wrong is wrong CBTNY, and being "less wrong" than our enemies is not good enough. We need to be Right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 25 2004, 09:46 PM
    [b] Sav, could you possibly be any more full of crap than this?? Comparing the current US situation to WWII is ludacrious, and you should know it. The differences bewteen this war and that far outweight ANY similarities (not that there are many).

Try not to let you blatant hate and disrespect for anything the doesn't follow your political ideology stand in the way of actually using your brain. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Not only are you NOT 99% Conservative you also lack a sense of
    Humor!! The Post was a Sarcastic look at the difference in the way
    things are reported not equating the 2 Wars..Why not take a break
    and go Fishing for awhile!! Or go join your Brothers at the Boston
    Convention!! :lol:

Tom The Nader Fan™
    I just thank God Warfish doesn't have any kids. Can you imagine being browbeaten all day long with this?! :lol:

Every hyperbole, soliliquiy, ironic jest...

Is shouted down with a self righteous lecture. :lol:

The purpose of the article was not to compare Iraq to WW2, but to make a point about the duplicity and transperancy of the left wing media, who clearly want to tilt the news to one side.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The purpose of the article was not to compare Iraq to WW2, but to make a point about the duplicity and transperancy of the left wing media, who clearly want to tilt the news to one side.[/b][/quote]

Oh, I got the point ladies. No problem there. Although I think is IS quite funny that when one of you slams a ludicrious thread, it's legit and perfectly called for, but when I do it, I become someone who "lack a sense of
    Humor!!" and who "Browbeats" every "hyperbole, soliliquiy, ironic jest......with a self righteous lecture".

So I guess only you all are permitted such tactics here, eh? :lol:

What I suppose you don't get is the incredably funny irony of the Right complaining/mocking the "duplicity and transperancy of the left wing media, who clearly want to tilt the news to one side"..........I suppose you think the Right does not do the same thing? FoxNews? Limbaugh? Savage? Washinton Times? Wall Street Journal??

Oh, and I am still waiting for you all to either agree or disagree with CBTNY that the Internment of Innocent Asian Americans in WWII wasn;t worth media coverage....you know, because it might hurt the war. :blink:

[quote][b]Not only are you NOT 99% Conservative you also lack a sense of
    Humor!! The Post was a Sarcastic look at the difference in the way
    things are reported not equating the 2 Wars..Why not take a break
    and go Fishing for awhile!! Or go join your Brothers at the Boston
    Convention!! [/b][/quote]

I disagree, I think the article IS comparing the two wars. There are reason WHY WWII was reported differently than the Iraq II War beyond just the era the occured in. Like the inherant "rightness" of the War itself. No one questioned our involvement in WWII because it wasn't questionable. No matter how hard you disagree, the Iraq II War IS a questionable millitary action in the minds of many American Citizens. Otherwise, ~50% of the 300 Million Americans wouldn't be against it!

As for the fishing, I DO need to get out, havn't had alot of opportunity lately.......

But as for Boston, I don't think so. I don't know which scares and annoys me more, the ignorant fools INSIDE the Convention, or the ignorant fools OUTSIDE protesting the coinvention.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 26 2004, 11:57 AM
    [b] No one questioned our involvement in WWII because it wasn't questionable. [/b][/quote]
    Fisher - this statement simply isn't true. Many Americans did not want to be involved with WWII. Many, many before Pearl Harbor felt strongly about not getting involved, and still many afterwards, although the polls changed after that attack and a majority of Americans supported the war effort. However, there were still protesters, mass demonstrations, anti-war rallies etc. There were much more than you'd probably imagine. Look it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jul 26 2004, 12:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jul 26 2004, 12:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@Jul 26 2004, 11:57 AM
    [b] No one questioned our involvement in WWII because it wasn&#39;t questionable. [/b][/quote]
    Fisher - this statement simply isn&#39;t true. Many Americans did not want to be involved with WWII. Many, many before Pearl Harbor felt strongly about not getting involved, and still many afterwards, although the polls changed after that attack and a majority of Americans supported the war effort. However, there were still protesters, mass demonstrations, anti-war rallies etc. There were much more than you&#39;d probably imagine. Look it up.[/b][/quote]
    I just began reading the book; "Iwo Jima: Legacy of Valor" by Bill Ross. It is noted as one of the best historical documents about the battle of Iwo.

It talks of how Admiral Nimitz put Holland "Howlin&#39; Mad" Smith in charge of the Marine invasion on Iwo in 2/45. Smith was known as a "Marines marine". He was so devouted to country that it took Presidential intervention by FDR to put him back on active duty overseas since he was 62 and had bad diabetes.

Howlin Smith had led several other bloody yet victorious campaigns in the Pacific including Tarawa.

What was his repayment for all this?

Members of Congress and newspapers published by William Hearst demanded his removal from the Marines....editorials in the Chicago Tribune called him a "cold-blooded killer" and "indiscriminate waster of human life" (page 28 of the soft cover in the chapeter entitled "A Gathering of Warriors".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jul 25 2004, 06:14 PM
    [b]
    In the 1940s war was hell, but at least our troops didn&#39;t have to fight the folks back home. [/b][/quote]
    that was the last war formally declared by congress and also the only REAL war this country has been involved with for 60 years

everything since then has been a sham

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Whaafish strikes again.

[img]http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ejburnett/crybaby.jpg[/img]

"Whaa...you have an opinion that&#39;s different than mine....that makes you "hateful"....whaaa....disagreeing with me means you&#39;re trying to take away my right to opine...whaaaaa....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Jul 26 2004, 02:44 PM
    [b] Whaafish strikes again.

[img]http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ejburnett/crybaby.jpg[/img]

"Whaa...you have an opinion that&#39;s different than mine....that makes you "hateful"....whaaa....disagreeing with me means you&#39;re trying to take away my right to opine...whaaaaa.... [/b][/quote]
    And, as always, Shakin doesn&#39;t defend the lunacy of the thread&#39;s topic, instead he attacks me for disagreeing. Consistency is the key, eh Shakin? You contribution to this thread is simply stunning, intellectually. :P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys should be embarased with this childish bickering. Now its time to pretend to be adults and grow up

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 26 2004, 11:57 AM
    [b] think the Right does not do the same thing? FoxNews? Limbaugh? Savage? Washinton Times? Wall Street Journal??

Oh, and I am still waiting for you all to either agree or disagree with CBTNY that the Internment of Innocent Asian Americans in WWII wasn;t worth media coverage....you know, because it might hurt the war. :blink:

[ [/b][/quote]
    Of Course their Conservative Fish..They SAY they are&#33;&#33; It&#39;s the
    AbC,CBS,CNN And NBC&#39;s of the World that won&#39;t admit their Liberal&#33;&#33;
    And I think the Containment of the Japanese was Racist in Nature&#33;
    We fought the Germans and Italians and they weren&#39;t put in Camps..
    Imagine if a Republican President did that?? :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Jul 26 2004, 03:04 PM
    [b] And, as always, Shakin doesn&#39;t defend the lunacy of the thread&#39;s topic, instead he attacks me for disagreeing. Consistency is the key, eh Shakin? You contribution to this thread is simply stunning, intellectually. :P [/b][/quote]
    As always? I have never once "attacked you for disagreeing."

That&#39;s my whole point. At the first sign of someone posting an opinion different than yours, you immediately start whining that some "hateful" poster is trying to deny you your right to opine, a ridiculous complaint that comes out of nowhere and makes no sense.

I stopped taking you seriously after your ridiculous "I have a serious question: why are you conservatives all so hateful" post.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Whaafish strikes again.
    "Whaa...you have an opinion that&#39;s different than mine....that makes you "hateful"....whaaa....disagreeing with me means you&#39;re trying to take away my right to opine...whaaaaa.... [/b][/quote]

[quote][b]I have never once "attacked you for disagreeing."[/b][/quote]

UH, that whole "Waafish" thing sure looks like an attack to me&#33; :lol:

My point was that you came into this thread, and instead of pointing out the insanity of CBTNY&#39;s post, you mock me for making a legit argument (unless, of course, you SUPPORT policies like Racial Imprisonment). And you continue to harp on my supposed position. I don&#39;t recall saying that disagreeing with me means I am being denied the abillity to speak. Until you, a mod, start deleting my posts, I will continue to have access to speak. However, I do point out that most times it is my argument vs. CBTNY, Weeb, yourself, Savage, Jets5, and a few other Conservative minded posters. But that&#39;s ok too....

[quote][b]I stopped taking you seriously after your ridiculous "I have a serious question: why are you conservatives all so hateful" post. [/b][/quote]

OH NO&#33; Shakin doesn&#39;t take me seriously&#33; OH NO&#33; Shakin writes me off as a Leftist looney&#33; OH NO&#33;&#33;&#33;

You think alot of yourself, don&#39;t you Shakin? Am I supposed to be offended some yutz on a message board dooesn&#39;t take me seriously? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This Childish Bickering is really getting old. You guys should be embarrased by the stuff you post sometimes.