Thread: Smarty Jones Jockey

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smarty Jones backs out of Pennsylvania Derby

July 26, 2004
    PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Smarty Jones has a bruised left front hoof and will not run in the Pennsylvania Derby, missing a chance to race in front of a hometown crowd at Philadelphia Park.

Roy Chapman, who owns the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner with his wife, Pat, said Monday that Smarty Jones' injury is not serious, and the son of Elusive Quality should resume training shortly for either the Pegasus at the Meadowlands or the Super Derby at Louisiana Downs on Sept. 25.

``It's just a slight bruise, and we don't want to take any chances,'' Chapman said. ``He just stepped on a stone or something. He looks fine.
    He looks great, but John's just not happy with the little bruise,'' said Chapman, referring to trainer John Servis.

Servis earlier this month began preparing the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner to run on Sept. 6. It would have been the 3-year-old colt's first start since his Triple Crown bid fell short in the Belmont Stakes on June 5.

The date for the Pegasus has yet to be set. Chapman said the new plan for Smarty Jones calls for one race before the Breeders' Cup Classic on Oct. 30 at Lone Star Park in Texas.

Looks like Smarty Jones next race might be in New Jersey after all at Meadowlands. I would like to see that and have him win Breeder's Cup Classic in Oct.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope he comes back strong for these next couple races. Unfortunately for us racing fans, that will likely be all we see of him. None of the good ones race beyond their 3yo season with breeding the more lucrative game. I look forward to seeing him at the Big M.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You hit it Jumba-it is all about the breeding prospects in racing industry- at least the owners Chapmans are a decent group of people-they sold 50% of breeding rights and have left open the possibility of racing him as a 4 year old.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by faba[/i]@Jul 27 2004, 08:37 AM
    [b] left open the possibility of racing him as a 4 year old. [/b][/quote]
    Wish I could get even money on this bet. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must be tought. They have all this money for breeding coming their way that disappears if he gets hurt or worse, which does happen. So even with this little ding no Travers, Haskel or Penn Derby. We may not see him until the Breeder's Cup. If he wins the Classic, I bet he goes right to stud.

Monmouth would love to have him in the Haskell; a beautiful track. Beats the hell out of Aqueduct and Belmont.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was pretty disappointed to hear that he won't be coming to the Haskell this year. Monmouth Park(the track near me) is having trouble getting big name horses for this year and at this point I have no idea who is coming.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lion's Heart will be the favorite in The Haskell-a week from today-he will be the most"name" horse running in the field-looks like 7 or 8 entries to run-sadly no Smarty Jones- Monmouth may get him for Pegusus- relocated from Meadowlands though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    faba, do you mean the Pegasus may relocate to Monmouth? Could that be why they haven't yet set the date? I hope not. The Meadowlands is 10 minutes from where I live.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jumba
    That was the latest from Asbury Park Press this week
    If Smarty Jones is to run in Pegusus the N.J. Sports and Exposition Authority will relocate the race for onr day of live racing at Monmouth to accomodate him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By HAL BOCK, AP Sports Writer

Smarty Jones' racing career is over

The 3-year-old red chestnut colt whose bid for thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown came up one length short in the Belmont Stakes was retired Monday because of chronic bruising in his hoofs.

"It's tough," trainer John Servis said. "We had a great ride with him. It seemed there was no bottom to him. We made the decision in the best interests of the horse."

The Kentucky Derby and Preakness champion has not raced since the Belmont and was recently syndicated for about $48 million. He will stand at stud at Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky.

Another example of the grueling competition of Triple Crown races

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I'm bummed. That may have been the best horse I've ever seen race. Unfortunately, the only time I got to see him, he lost.

Can't wait for Saratoga friday. "The Spa" is very therapeutic.