Thread: Another Newark cop shot

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the 4th time since 7/10, another Newark NJ cop was shot today.

Orlando Velasquez was shot with his own gun after a struggle with a suspect wanted for robbery. The suspect was then killed by back-up Officers.

Pat Cantalupo was shot Sunday in a drive-by while walking a drug suspect back to his car with his partner. His partner returned fire, striking one suspect in the face. He survived, another suspect escaped. A .45 and 9mm were recovered from the car.

Pat Gonella was shot 7/13 after approaching a suspect on a bike. He was shot 7 times, 5 of which lodged in his vest, saving his life. Suspect shot dead by back-up cops.

Rich Borges was shot 7/10 by 19 year old out on bail awaiting sentencing on another shooting, suspect was shot in leg by back-up cops and captured.

Prior to 7/10, an Essex County Sheriff Officer was shot in the stomach, below his vest, by a suspect wanted on a shooting in Jersey City, who then killed himself after barricading himself in an apartment

Maxman
    Stew...it is out of control. What is going on in Newark? I though things were getting better there?

I am assuming this is gang related.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Past the point of ridiculos. Just tragic

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Jul 27 2004, 10:49 PM
    [b] Stew...it is out of control. What is going on in Newark? I though things were getting better there?

I am assuming this is gang related. [/b][/quote]
    Max, things are crazy right now.

Several weekends ago a 17 year old son of a Newark Robbery Detective was killed, shot in the head as he sat in the rear seat of a car that was trying to be carjacked by a group of thugs. 4 suspects were eventually arrested, connected to a string of 12 robberies/'jackings and 3 shootings over a 3 day period.

A couple weeks ago the Father of a motorcycle cop was beaten to death in an alley next to a tavern in the East District, referred to as the "down neck" area, considered the safest part of NWK, still unsolved.

The four Newark cops and one Essex County Sheriff Officer shot in Newark all happened in July, all unrelated. The first 3 Newark cop shootings were Blood gang related. I dont know the details of yesterday's shooting as I'm off yesterday and today and you cant rely on the paper for accuracy.

We have heard 2 things regarding whats going on.
    1)A ranking Blood was kicked out of a set in LA area for being too over the top, bringing to much heat upon his set, he came East and set up shop in E Orange/Newark/Irvington area. His message to his troops is "shoot a cop and you will be upper rank in my set".

2)One of the local prisons has members who are bent on shooting cops and or their families upon release to gain status in prison culture.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read this latest in the paper and was wondering if all these incidents this were gang related also-the hoodlums are out of control-if you are wearing a uniform in Newark you are a marked person-all these men and ladies deserve all the support that they can get.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg+Jul 28 2004, 12:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Stewdawg @ Jul 28 2004, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman[/i]@Jul 27 2004, 10:49 PM
    [b] Stew...it is out of control. What is going on in Newark? I though things were getting better there?

I am assuming this is gang related. [/b][/quote]
    Max, things are crazy right now.

Several weekends ago a 17 year old son of a Newark Robbery Detective was killed, shot in the head as he sat in the rear seat of a car that was trying to be carjacked by a group of thugs. 4 suspects were eventually arrested, connected to a string of 12 robberies/&#39;jackings and 3 shootings over a 3 day period.

A couple weeks ago the Father of a motorcycle cop was beaten to death in an alley next to a tavern in the East District, referred to as the "down neck" area, considered the safest part of NWK, still unsolved.

The four Newark cops and one Essex County Sheriff Officer shot in Newark all happened in July, all unrelated. The first 3 Newark cop shootings were Blood gang related. I dont know the details of yesterday&#39;s shooting as I&#39;m off yesterday and today and you cant rely on the paper for accuracy.

We have heard 2 things regarding whats going on.
    1)A ranking Blood was kicked out of a set in LA area for being too over the top, bringing to much heat upon his set, he came East and set up shop in E Orange/Newark/Irvington area. His message to his troops is "shoot a cop and you will be upper rank in my set".

2)One of the local prisons has members who are bent on shooting cops and or their families upon release to gain status in prison culture. [/b][/quote]
    Stew....all I can say is may God Bless you and all of your brothers on the force. I sent that card to your friend. I hope he is doing well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, just got word that of the 4 cops shot from NPD, Pat Gonnella is the worst off.

Severe pain/trouble with broken femur/rods in his leg, caused by bullet. Shoulder wound also causing problems. Additionally, he is having several nightmares a night related to the shooting, everything from seeing the sparks come off the pavement, to the feelings of the rounds hitting his vest.

If at all possible, send him a card, let him know his fellow Jets fans are behind him. I will see to it that his mail makes it to him at his rehab facility (NPD does not want location known for security reasons.)

Det Patrick Gonnella
    43 Dickerson Street
    Newark NJ 07104

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to thank all who sent cards to Pat Gonella. He was released from Kessler rebab institute in W Orange NJ last week, after a very difficult month.

He continues to have a tough time, nightmares every night, still has a bullet in his hamstring and one lodged in his back, neither of which will be removed until they work themselves to the surface to avoid nerve damage.

If you still want to send a card of encouragement, please do. He can be reached at
    Det Pat Gonella
    43 Dickerson St
    Newark NJ 07104

On another note, those of you in the NJ area may have heard of a teen shot at Krome nightclub in Sayreville NJ over the weekend. He was the son of Newark Lt Tony White, assigned to motorcycle squad.

It has been a crazy summer for Newark cops, 4 were shot, one lost his 17 yr old son in MV accident in Old Bridge NJ, one lost his son when he was shot in Newark, another lost his Father, who was beaten to death in Newark, and now this killing in Sayreville.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg[/i]@Sep 1 2004, 08:20 PM
    [b] Just wanted to thank all who sent cards to Pat Gonella. He was released from Kessler rebab institute in W Orange NJ last week, after a very difficult month.

He continues to have a tough time, nightmares every night, still has a bullet in his hamstring and one lodged in his back, neither of which will be removed until they work themselves to the surface to avoid nerve damage.

If you still want to send a card of encouragement, please do. He can be reached at
    Det Pat Gonella
    43 Dickerson St
    Newark NJ 07104

On another note, those of you in the NJ area may have heard of a teen shot at Krome nightclub in Sayreville NJ over the weekend. He was the son of Newark Lt Tony White, assigned to motorcycle squad.

It has been a crazy summer for Newark cops, 4 were shot, one lost his 17 yr old son in MV accident in Old Bridge NJ, one lost his son when he was shot in Newark, another lost his Father, who was beaten to death in Newark, and now this killing in Sayreville. [/b][/quote]
    Stew I didn&#39;t hear of that at Krome. I don&#39;t live very far from there. This is out of control.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Krome shooting has been in the Ledger every day since Monday, big crime for a small town.
    They made an arrest, a 16 year old from Rahway&#33;&#33;&#33; He was watching tv with his Mom at 1:30am when the cops came knocking. They found a loaded .380 under his bed. His Dad, of course, says his son would "never" do anything like that...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] The Krome shooting has been in the Ledger every day since Monday, big crime for a small town.
    They made an arrest, a 16 year old from Rahway&#33;&#33;&#33; He was watching tv with his Mom at 1:30am when the cops came knocking. They found a loaded .380 under his bed. His Dad, of course, says his son would "never" do anything like that... [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s also been in the Home News Tribune everyday since Sunday too, including today&#33;&#33; The lawyer for the punk-a&#036;&#036; 16-year old suspect says her client is INNOCENT and has an alibi....I say they print his name....why cover up his identity? God damn animals.......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted to give Limolady some props, as well as Jets PR department.

LL put me on right track to contact Jets, and Jets came thru with signed football from "everybody" that arrived a Officer Gonella&#39;s home this past week, along with get well card. He was very surprised&#33;

Thanks again to all who sent cards.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg[/i]@Sep 7 2004, 09:24 PM
    [b] Wanted to give Limolady some props, as well as Jets PR department.

LL put me on right track to contact Jets, and Jets came thru with signed football from "everybody" that arrived a Officer Gonella&#39;s home this past week, along with get well card. He was very surprised&#33;

Thanks again to all who sent cards. [/b][/quote]
    Did Limolady see this yet????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is heartwarming what LL did and it&#39;s encouraging that this man is recovering

however this is exactly why we don&#39;t need to be nationbuilding.

Rebuild Iraq? i got a question when is the government gonna rebuild Newark?

you all know deep down that the hundreds of billions we are pissing away on animals that neither deserve nor are capable of living in a democracy could be better spent here in our backyards... so maybe, just maybe crazy s**t like this would be less likely to happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 12:26 PM
    [b] it is heartwarming what LL did and it&#39;s encouraging that this man is recovering

however this is exactly why we don&#39;t need to be nationbuilding.

Rebuild Iraq? i got a question when is the government gonna rebuild Newark?

you all know deep down that the hundreds of billions we are pissing away on animals that neither deserve nor are capable of living in a democracy could be better spent here in our backyards... so maybe, just maybe crazy s**t like this would be less likely to happen. [/b][/quote]

This has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Iraq or money. Show some class....

We know you&#39;re against the war....

Hugs &#39;n&#39; Kisses....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5ever when&#39;s the last time you have walked through Newark or any other ghetto-riffic town?

not drove through, im talking walked through at street level...

there are neighborhoods in trenton, camden, north philly that look like Kabul.

that&#39;s where the gov&#39;t should be building schools.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    there&#39;s no room for KBR oil rigs in newark..get your priorities straight&#33;