Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Electing an image

Tom The Nader Fan™
    Much of what is being said and done at the Democratic convention in Boston is so 1960s. The old favorite songs of the left, the old rhetoric, the old gestures, the delegates swaying together, all take you back to a time 40 years ago when the liberal vision seized the imagination of so many who were young then -- and who are now old enough to know better.

After all, we now know with hindsight what the heady ideas of the 1960s actually led to in practice -- declining test scores and rising rates of teenage pregnancy and venereal disease, while rates of crime in general and murder in particular skyrocketed, along with unprecedented waves of riots that devastated city after city across the country, while families began a disintegration from which they may never fully recover in our lifetime.

The 1960s behavior of the Democrats' speakers and delegates tells you more than their updated image, an image now featuring symbols and rhetoric of patriotism and religion that many of these liberals would sneer at if this were not an election year.

In politics, facts do not carry nearly as much weight as rhetoric. At this convention, facts are being systematically covered up by rhetoric.

John Kerry is running for a political office and he has a political track record that goes back 16 years in the United States Senate alone. The facts on how he has voted on innumerable issues are all on record. Yet everyone at this Democratic convention and on the campaign trail seems to want to talk about everything except that record.

In fact, everything at this convention and on this year's campaign trail seems carefully designed to create the opposite impression from what Senator Kerry's voting record shows.

Over the years Senator Kerry has voted again and again to cut spending on the military and on the intelligence services. In short, his votes have weakened this country militarily. Therefore the rhetoric of the convention and the Kerry campaign uses the word "strong" or "strength" at every opportunity.

By repeating such words incessantly, the rhetoric counters the reality -- at least for those voters who cannot be bothered to find out the facts.

John Kerry's military service three decades ago is likewise used over and over again at the Democratic convention and on the campaign trail to cover up his repeated weakening of this country's military defenses as a United States Senator during the many years since then.

If we were fighting the Vietnam war over again, nobody would deny Kerry's qualifications for being an officer in that war. But that is not the job he is seeking this election year.

You cannot defend this country with memories and rhetoric -- not in an age of international terrorism, which could become an age of nuclear terrorism in a very few years.

On the domestic front as well, Senator Kerry is hard at work creating an image that is the opposite of his record. His recent statement that he believes life begins at conception may create the impression among the unwary that his views on abortion are very different from what his voting record in the Senate plainly shows.

Senator Kerry has not only voted consistently pro-abortion, he has even declared that he will vote against confirming any federal judge who is not in favor of abortion "rights." The issue is not what your position is on abortion. The issue is whether you want to be conned about a presidential candidate's record.

The strenuous efforts of the Democratic convention and of the Kerry campaign in general to create an image that is the opposite of the reality tell us that they know where he is weakest -- and that they think the voters are fools enough to elect an image without bothering to check out the reality.

The unending parade of personal "human interest" stories that are being featured at the Democratic convention are a further distraction from the party's record on the issues and a further insult to the voters' intelligence.

What any of these people's personal lives are like is none of my business. My business as a voter is to know what Senator Kerry has been doing during two decades in politics, since that is the truest indicator of what he would do as President.

©2004 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The title says it all and like I mentioned in the PM; he starts off saying, "judge me by my record" then talks about making sure our soldiers in the field have the "best weapons, technology and intelligence" which is exactly the opposite of what his record was.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Sowell is also a brilliant economist who holds the Friedman chair at Stanford. I strongly urge everyone here, even people who have studied economics, to read his two vital books - Basic Economics and Applied Economics.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was an excellent article. I am really curious what the pro-Kerry people's response regarding this article is...

Tom The Nader Fan™
    It will take a sustained attack on Kerry's liberal 20-year defense voting record to bring his public image more in line with reality.

By my calculations, his 5,221-word speech (thank you, Mr. Drudge) contained exactly 71 words about his 20-year Senate career.

Instead, we learned from his daughter that John Kerry once administered CPR to a hamster.

Kerry's relevant record on defense and intelligence is devoid of accomplishment and includes voting against every major weapon system we use today.

And as for reporting for duty on intelligence issues — during Kerry's eight years of duty on the Senate's Select Committee on Intelligence, there were 49 open, public hearings. How many did Kerry attend? Eleven (just 22.4 percent). One of those that he missed was that of June 8, 2000, when there was a hearing on the report of the National Commission on Terrorism. Seems that hamster got more focused attention from John Kerry than the nation's intelligence.

John Kerry did not tell us the answer to what type of tree he would like to be, but we were given the "moving" revelation that his mother taught him to see "trees as the cathedrals of nature."
    -------------------------------------

cut and pasted from various sources

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Tom The Nader Fan™[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 09:51 PM
    [b] It will take a sustained attack on Kerry's liberal 20-year defense voting record to bring his public image more in line with reality.

By my calculations, his 5,221-word speech (thank you, Mr. Drudge) contained exactly 71 words about his 20-year Senate career.

[/b][/quote]
    and not a single one about his post-Vietnam Hanoi sympathizing days.

Tom The Nader Fan™
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Aug 1 2004, 01:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Aug 1 2004, 01:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tom The Nader Fan™[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 09:51 PM
    [b] It will take a sustained attack on Kerry&#39;s liberal 20-year defense voting record to bring his public image more in line with reality.

[/b][/quote]
    and not a single one about his post-Vietnam Hanoi sympathizing days. [/b][/quote]
    He didn&#39;t talk about gay marriage, either, so all the people that are gonna vote for him because he is "pro" gay marriage are idiots.

I was reading an article in todays Star Ledger, that many Black Christian fundamentalists are going to vote for Bush on this issue. I just wish they would take a look at other issues, such as education and how the NEA and the democratic party&#39;s stranglehold on public education has been disasterous for Black Americans (I grew up in the 70&#39;s when [i]Black is beautiful[/i] was the slogan; "Black" and "White" are the terms I use, not "euro" american or "african" american ).

I wouldn&#39;t call them idiots, though, because at least they know where Bush stands on this issue.

Kerry also talks about increasing the military by 40,000 members. Considering Clinton cut the military in half in the 90&#39;s, these numbers are quite modest. Having said that, most likely he would have to reinstitute the draft to achieve that number.

The military will no longer have to take anybody with a HS diploma/GED and a clean adult criminal record.

This will have an adverse effect on both current white, black, and hispanic applicants, but minorities will probably take a bigger hit, adding to their already disproportionately high unemployment numbers.

No matter how you slice it, Kerry is a disaster.

Oh yeah, he also mentioned he wants to increase special forces. Earth to John, the attrittion rate is like 75% to 90% for the elite armed forces. To increase the size, you have to lower the standards. What would be so "special" about special forces after that? YOU JACKASS.