Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Village

Banned
    it just wasn't a movie that youngsters would want to see...its not gorey at all...but VERY GOOD ACTING...if you ask me...

i like the ending...i thought it was good...it was funny that about half way through the movie i knew exactly what was going to happen though...i told my girlfriend and she was like yeah right...she didn't believe me until the end...it is very suprising and i liked it alot, although most movies i like the majority of people don't...so maybe i just have a weird taste but im glad to hear that some others liked it too...

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Govjetz[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 09:56 AM
    [b] Hell Boy is really good !!!! alot of action and humor just enough of both I saw it in the theaters and just bought the dvd.........enjoy [/b][/quote]
    Hellboy was aight. Nothing spectacular. I wish I had picked up Master and Commander instead.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Sowell Train[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 11:19 AM
    [b] I realllllllllllllllllllly like the Village until the end. I really think the end nearly ruined the genious of the movie. [/b][/quote]
    word?

the end was like sixth sense, without it the moviw was nothing

did you really get the whole ending?? I thought it was genious

I don't mean the whole end, like the movie was still brilliant and I got it, but I thought it could of been dragged out longer. I guess I just wanted more!

Veteran
    I was so disapointed, biggest let down of the year so far. Instead of giving any of my opinons which might make me accidently give away something, I'll post Roger Ebert's review. Pretty much the same way I feel. He gave it one star.

[quote][b]"The Village" is a colossal miscalculation, a movie based on a premise that cannot support it, a premise so transparent it would be laughable were the movie not so deadly solemn. It's a flimsy excuse for a plot, with characters who move below the one-dimensional and enter Flatland. M. Night Shyamalan, the writer-director, has been successful in evoking horror from minimalist stories, as in "Signs," which if you think about it rationally is absurd -- but you get too involved to think rationally. He is a director of considerable skill who evokes stories out of moods, but this time, alas, he took the day off.

Critics were enjoined after the screening to avoid revealing the plot secrets. That is not because we would spoil the movie for you. It's because if you knew them, you wouldn't want to go. The whole enterprise is a shaggy dog story, and in a way, it is all secrets. I can hardly discuss it at all without being maddingly vague.

Let us say that it takes place in an unspecified time and place, surrounded by a forest the characters never enter. The clothing of the characters and the absence of cars and telephones and suchlike suggest either the 1890s, or an Amish community. Everyone speaks as if they had studied "Friendly Persuasion." The chief civic virtues are probity and circumspection. Here is a village that desperately needs an East Village.

The story opens with a funeral attended by all the villagers, followed by a big outdoor meal at long tables groaning with corn on the cob and all the other fixin's. Everyone in the village does everything together, apparently, although it is never very clear what most of their jobs are. Some farming and baking goes on.

The movie is so somber, it's afraid to raise its voice in its own presence. That makes it dreary even during scenes of shameless melodrama. We meet the patriarch Edward Walker (William Hurt), who is so judicious in all things he sounds like a minister addressing the Rotary Club. His daughter Ivy (Bryce Dallas Howard), is blind but spunky. The stalwart young man, Lucius Hunt (Joaquin Phoenix), petitions the elders to let him take a look into the forest. His widowed mother Alice (Sigourney Weaver), has feelings for Edward Walker. The village idiot (Adrien Brody), gambols about, and gamboling is not a word that I use lightly. There is a good and true man (Brendan Gleeson). And a bridegroom who is afraid his shirt will get wrinkled.

Surrounding the village is the forest. In the forest live vile, hostile creatures who dress in red and have claws of twigs. They are known as Those We Do Not Speak Of (except when we want to end a designation with a preposition). We see Those We Do Not Speak, etc., only in brief glimpses, like the water-fixated aliens in "Signs." They look better than the "Signs" aliens, who looked like large extras in long underwear, while Those We Do Not, etc., look like their costumes were designed at summer camp.

Watchtowers guard the periphery of the village, and flares burn through the night. But not to fear: Those We Do, etc., have arrived at a truce. They stay in the forest and the villagers stay in the village. Lucius wants to go into the forest and petitions the elders, who frown at this desire. Ivy would like to marry Lucius, and tells him so, but he is so reflective and funereal, it will take him another movie to get worked up enough to deal with her. Still, they love each other. The village idiot also has a thing for Ivy, and sometimes they gambol together.

Something terrible happens to somebody. I dare not reveal what, and to which, and by whom. Edward Walker decides reluctantly to send someone to "the towns" to bring back medicine for whoever was injured. And off goes his daughter Ivy, a blind girl walking through the forest inhabited by Those Who, etc. She wears her yellow riding hood, and it takes us a superhuman effort to keep from thinking about Grandmother's House.

Solemn violin dirges permeate the sound track. It is autumn, overcast and chilly. Girls find a red flower and bury it. Everyone speaks in the passive voice. The vitality has been drained from the characters; these are the Stepford Pilgrims. The elders have meetings from which the young are excluded. Someone finds something under the floorboards. Wouldn't you just know it would be there, exactly where it was needed, in order for someone to do something he couldn't do without it.

Eventually the secret of Those, etc., is revealed. To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.

And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.[/b][/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    Nothing can be as bad as Signs

Veteran
    i liked it. i thought it was pretty damn good

Jets Insider VIP
    saw the post title...don't want to read the thread until I see the movie
    just wanted to say I am a big fan of Night's....loved Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable....very thought-provoking young filmmaker

just want to ask...did he do a cameo in The Village? he usually does in his movies

Out of the three movies I saw this morning (The Village, I, Robot, Bourne Supremacy), The Village was the best. M. Night, is such an amazing story teller and his plots, actors, shots, editing all live up to his narrative.

As for the others. Bourne was missing the love interest and any really any interest when you know he is going to be OK.

I, Robot was ok, but Will Smith needs to try and break away from being "Will Smith" as he just cruises through these roles. The effects were very good which means you stopped thinking about them after the first 10 minutes or so. The lead woman was just bland. They needed to spice up that role.

BZ

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 01:37 AM
    [b] Nothing can be as bad as Signs [/b][/quote]
    do I need to bust out the crazy eddie pic again???

[quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 02:12 AM
    [b] saw the post title...don't want to read the thread until I see the movie
    just wanted to say I am a big fan of Night's....loved Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable....very thought-provoking young filmmaker

just want to ask...did he do a cameo in The Village? he usually does in his movies [/b][/quote]
    yes he did....

Veteran
    its not all the time that you come accross a movie with a great story great acting great directing to maximize the effects. the ending was not the best but i enjoyed the movie so much i didnt care about how it finished it was done well..

[quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 10:53 AM
    [b] Think I'll go see Harold and Kumar go to White Castle today

EIther that or Bourne Identitor
    IRobot

not sure

Tooo many movies!! [/b][/quote]
    Bourne identity didnt do it for me. If you liked the first youll like this one. I Robot is not worth going out and paying that much $$$ to see. I recomend you wait for it to come out on dvd and get it at blockbuster. As for vilage im going to see that friday.

Veteran
    Now I'm a huge fan of Night's movies, so I understood his style and story telling techniques when I went into this. The thing that made me mad was the way they advertised The Village, there was about 1 minute of total footage in the entire movie that was even remotely thrilling. The twists I found quite lame, and now that I know them watching the movie again would make it even worse. It's time for Night to stop building his stories around twists and move on as a director. Otherwise it's just going to go downhill.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 2 2004, 08:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Aug 2 2004, 08:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 01:37 AM
    do I need to bust out the crazy eddie pic again??? [/b][/quote]
    Come on bro. :D

Signs was TERRIBLE.

Gibson, usually a favorite of mine, overacted like a mo fo. The storyline was garbage and made no sense. Who want&#39;s to watch an alien movie where the highlight of the movie is a couple fingers under the door.

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Aug 1 2004, 12:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Aug 1 2004, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Govjetz[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 09:56 AM
    [b] Hell Boy is really good &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; alot of action and humor just enough of both I saw it in the theaters and just bought the dvd.........enjoy [/b][/quote]
    Hellboy was aight. Nothing spectacular. I wish I had picked up Master and Commander instead. [/b][/quote]
    no you dont master and commander is horrible....worse than waterworld.....do not and i mean do not see that movie.....

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Aug 2 2004, 12:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Aug 2 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@Aug 2 2004, 08:49 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 01:37 AM

Signs was TERRIBLE.

Gibson, usually a favorite of mine, overacted like a mo fo. The storyline was garbage and made no sense. Who want&#39;s to watch an alien movie where the highlight of the movie is a couple fingers under the door. [/b][/quote]
    exactly my point...much as Village was advertised as a monster movie , it was not, it was a social commentary about how ****ed up society is

signs was not even remotely about aliens, it was about a man&#39;s search for God after his faith being shattered and coming back to his roots as a religious man...but it was advertised as an alien movie

taht is the thing about Shammy&#39;s movies, they lead the viewers to believe they are about one thing but they are really about another, so if you go in expecting a monster movie or an alien movie you will be disappointed

Banned
    i liked the movie signs...much better than the sixth sense...

people should know that he wrote the movie and it isn&#39;t going to be a slasher type...

idiots are blind...

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Aug 2 2004, 12:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Aug 2 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@Aug 2 2004, 08:49 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 01:37 AM

Signs was TERRIBLE.

Gibson, usually a favorite of mine, overacted like a mo fo. The storyline was garbage and made no sense. Who want&#39;s to watch an alien movie where the highlight of the movie is a couple fingers under the door. [/b][/quote]
    nah man, you missed the point

Signs was not all about the aliens....that was just a vehicle storyline.

The movie was about the big question: divine or coincidence? is there a higher power (god) or are patterns random and just coincidence or is there really a divine plan involved

Brilliant movie.

thanks...for the update