Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: The Village

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme+Aug 2 2004, 03:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (R. Tyme @ Aug 2 2004, 03:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -The Gun Of Bavaria@Aug 2 2004, 12:07 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@Aug 2 2004, 08:49 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 01:37 AM
    [b] Nothing can be as bad as Signs [/b][/quote]
    do I need to bust out the crazy eddie pic again??? [/b][/quote]
    Come on bro. :D

    Signs was TERRIBLE.

    Gibson, usually a favorite of mine, overacted like a mo fo. The storyline was garbage and made no sense. Who want&#39;s to watch an alien movie where the highlight of the movie is a couple fingers under the door. [/b][/quote]
    nah man, you missed the point

    Signs was not all about the aliens....that was just a vehicle storyline.

    The movie was about the big question: divine or coincidence? is there a higher power (god) or are patterns random and just coincidence or is there really a divine plan involved

    Brilliant movie. [/b][/quote]
    exactly

  2. #42
    TomShane
    Guest
    &#39;Signs&#39; underacheived. The build-up was amazing, but the end stretch was weak, and how the characters eventually prevail was weaker. It was as if Night was trying to fit it into his 107 minute limit (all of his movies go 107 mins.) and ended up rushing to fit all of the pieces together. It could have done a lot better.

    As far as Ebert is concerned, this guy is in the pocket of almost every major film studio, and to believe what he has to say about any particular movie is to just believe the highest bidder.


    I, too, heard alot of people leaving the theater complaining that they didn&#39;t "get it" or that it was implausible. If you want to go into a Night film without willing to suspend your disbelief, be my guest. But that would be a miserable existence, no?

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 03:49 PM
    [b] If you want to go into a Night film without willing to suspend your disbelief, be my guest. But that would be a miserable existence, no? [/b][/quote]
    isn&#39;t that how we go into our Jet seasons??? <_<

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Govjetz[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 09:56 AM
    [b]Hell Boy is really good &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; alot of action and humor just enough of both I saw it in the theaters and just bought the dvd.........enjoy[/b][/quote]
    Saw Hellboy last night. I enjoyed it, thought it was pretty good. Best comic adaptation I&#39;ve seen.

    However this will be THE film event of 2004.
    Trailer:
    [url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/team_america/small.html]Team America - World Police[/url]

  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,491
    Post Thanks / Like
    TomShane
    [quote][b] &#39;Signs&#39; underacheived. The build-up was amazing, but the end stretch was weak, and how the characters eventually prevail was weaker. It was as if Night was trying to fit it into his 107 minute limit (all of his movies go 107 mins.) and ended up rushing to fit all of the pieces together. It could have done a lot better.

    As far as Ebert is concerned, this guy is in the pocket of almost every major film studio, and to believe what he has to say about any particular movie is to just believe the highest bidder.


    I, too, heard alot of people leaving the theater complaining that they didn&#39;t "get it" or that it was implausible. If you want to go into a Night film without willing to suspend your disbelief, be my guest. But that would be a miserable existence, no?[/b][/quote]

    As I&#39;ve said before, I&#39;m a huge fan of Night&#39;s prior movies. I understand his visuals and storytelling style, but The Village is almost a complete failure. It&#39;s obvious that he thought up a twist or surprise ending in his head before even coming together with the story, which makes the story second fiddle to the surprise; thus a bland story. It&#39;s hard to discuss this movie without giving anything away so I&#39;ll just say this, a certain twist was given away far too early and made later scenes less effective. That&#39;s just one of the many complaints, the fact that it was all just a slow moving melodrama didn&#39;t help either. At the end of the movie I kind of sat there and wondered, did anything interesting happen the last hour and a half? Besides a few early scenes the only positive to come out of this was Bryce Dallas Howard, that was truly a great performance even in a movie I didn&#39;t care for.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went back to dig this post up, I just saw The Village.

    Thank god for M. Night&#33; without him today&#39;s movies would be all about the effects, the gore, the shock; the brainless. His movies always give you something to think about....and that&#39;s the point of them. I also love the &#39;feel&#39; of his movies...the details of the scenery draws you in like you&#39;re there...you&#39;re on this journey and you don&#39;t know why or what&#39;s ahead but it all comes together in the end.

    My interpretation at first run (have to see his movies more than once), it&#39;s a story about returning to more innocent times, turning your back, isolating yourself for protection...but at what price? Is there hope? Does love conquer all--even fear? And the significance of Ivy being blind? This made her unable to pre-judge people by appearance. She didn&#39;t fit into any molds herself and love made her brave. I&#39;ll have to read up on what Night has to say about his message. As for Ebert....I always liked the late Siskel&#39;s opinions better :P

    Was that really Ron Howard&#39;s daughter who played Ivy? she was great&#33; And Adrien Brody, very strange role for him considering his last one.

  7. #47
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but this was a VERY boring movie...not because I didn&#39;t "Get it"...as a matter of fact, I had the "Twist" figured out within 20 minutes. All you had to do was pay attention...My only question was conveniently answered at the end: What about..

    Spoiler alert





















    What about aircraft flying overhead?

    Shamalan has now achieved something no other director I can think of has been able to do. He has made THE SAME MOVIE FOUR TIMES, in different settings and themes, but THE SAME MOVIE NONETHELESS.

    Just because he builds up POINTLESS SUSPENSE without a real climax, then throws in his trademark gimmic "Twist" doesn&#39;t make him brilliant. It makes him repetitive...



    Unbreakable was a cool movie. The Village was NOT...ZZZzzzzzzzz

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetMedic[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:18 PM
    [b] Sorry, but this was a VERY boring movie...not because I didn&#39;t "Get it"...as a matter of fact, I had the "Twist" figured out within 20 minutes. All you had to do was pay attention...My only question was conveniently answered at the end: What about..

    Spoiler alert





















    What about aircraft flying overhead?

    Shamalan has now achieved something no other director I can think of has been able to do. He has made THE SAME MOVIE FOUR TIMES, in different settings and themes, but THE SAME MOVIE NONETHELESS.

    Just because he builds up POINTLESS SUSPENSE without a real climax, then throws in his trademark gimmic "Twist" doesn&#39;t make him brilliant. It makes him repetitive...



    Unbreakable was a cool movie. The Village was NOT...ZZZzzzzzzzz [/b][/quote]
    Medic you figured out the movie 20 mins into it?????

    that&#39;s pretty amazing, I thought it was pretty cleverly hidden, you advise us to pay attention and figure it out too, but apparently you didn&#39;t pay attention because they addressed the issue of the planes.....spoilers below
























    The family, I already forgot their name were millionaires and they owned massive amount of property, remember the names on the hats of teh security people when Ivy jumped the fence??? that was her grandfathers name and it was his property that had been converted to a sanctuary, I&#39;m sure you caught that much, but you missed the part when the young kid was collecting the medical supplies from the shack the &#39;boss&#39; mentioned about the job being easy and taht he didn&#39;t need the stress from several years earlier when the government wanted to fly planes over the sanctuary and the legal battle they went through to avoid it


    please though explain why his four movies were the same movie, what was the common thread or theme to them all?

    I saw 6th as a ghost movie, with a big twist

    Unbreakable was a comic book on the big screen

    Signs was about a mans struggle with his religious beliefs

    and the Village was about the extents that man would go through to shun the evils in modern society to make thing simple again, what am i missing?

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said Bro, my question on Aircraft Flyovers WAS ANSWERED at the end of the movie...in a very convenient fashion, I might add. I was wondering, "What if these people who have been lied to all their lives see a plane that flew over? How would they (elders) explain that?"

    Of course, we know the Prof.s father was a Billionaire, but even then, do they have a squadron of F-16s dedicated to protecting that airspace? Even the White House, and recently the Statue of Liberty get buzzed...sorry, but even "suspending my disbelief", if I&#39;m asked to buy into their society existing without knowledge of the outside world or beingh known, then I deserve a rational explaination ;) , not a blowoff....


    SOrry, but literally 20 minutes into the film, I caught on and loked at my G/F and said, Hmmm, they aren&#39;t a religious colony because they had what looked like Beer at their meal in the begining, yet I&#39;ve yet to see a rifle, and ANY PEOPLE living in a wooded area colony, even the Puritains, had RIFLES...wait, how do they have a bg Greenhouse....thats when I said "I wonder what the DATE is". The clincher was when Sigourney Weaver referred to his father being thrown into "That FILTHY River"...I KNEW she was talking about the modern East River.



    Either way, it was STILL a boring movie...lol

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetMedic[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 04:09 PM
    [b] As I said Bro, my question on Aircraft Flyovers WAS ANSWERED at the end of the movie...in a very convenient fashion, I might add. I was wondering, "What if these people who have been lied to all their lives see a plane that flew over? How would they (elders) explain that?"

    Of course, we know the Prof.s father was a Billionaire, but even then, do they have a squadron of F-16s dedicated to protecting that airspace? Even the White House, and recently the Statue of Liberty get buzzed...sorry, but even "suspending my disbelief", if I&#39;m asked to buy into their society existing without knowledge of the outside world or beingh known, then I deserve a rational explaination ;) , not a blowoff....


    SOrry, but literally 20 minutes into the film, I caught on and loked at my G/F and said, Hmmm, they aren&#39;t a religious colony because they had what looked like Beer at their meal in the begining, yet I&#39;ve yet to see a rifle, and ANY PEOPLE living in a wooded area colony, even the Puritains, had RIFLES...wait, how do they have a bg Greenhouse....thats when I said "I wonder what the DATE is". The clincher was when Sigourney Weaver referred to his father being thrown into "That FILTHY River"...I KNEW she was talking about the modern East River.



    Either way, it was STILL a boring movie...lol [/b][/quote]
    there were definately some clues because she also made a reference to her apartment and the alley or something like that and it had my mind working, but to guess that they were really living in modern times and had left civilization to escape the cruelties of society and created their own world in protected land was waaaaaay beyond my guessing

    now as far as a brush off is concerned, I dont happen to know what the legal regulations would be about creating a no fly zone over a protected wildlife sanctuary, I would venture to guess that if this land was in the middle of bumfunk that a billionaire might be able to work something out with the government, but it seems like you needed a more rock solid explanation, I just accept it as an interesting story

  11. #51
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,737
    Post Thanks / Like
    M.Night is a great director, and I enjoy his work quite a bit. Sixth sense and Signs were very good, Unbreakable wasn&#39;t so good.

    But I though the Village was quite good (just saw it tonight) and I thought the twist was quite good (and unlike all the folks who "Claim" the saw it coming, I myself did not, which made it all the more enjoyable. I usually know the twist before hand in most flicks).

    And maybe it&#39;s just me, because I love Redheads with pale complections, but Ron Howards Daughter is a hotty. I hope to see more of her, she was quite good.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetMedic[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:18 PM
    [b] Shamalan has now achieved something no other director I can think of has been able to do. He has made THE SAME MOVIE FOUR TIMES, in different settings and themes, but THE SAME MOVIE NONETHELESS.
    [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s a pretty bold statement in caps that I don&#39;t agree with.

    How has he made the same movie 4 times?

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ludlow, MA
    Posts
    3,547
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was disappointed. A bunch of kids left when I saw it. Yeah I got the concept, understood what he was trying to do but I found that whole &#39;twist&#39; to be pretty lame. And Night cannot act to save himself. His delivery is awful.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us