Thread: Jamal Crawford to the Knicks today or tomorrow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    After six weeks of negotiations, Jamal Crawford will become a Knick either today or tomorrow. The Bulls will sign Crawford, then ship him, probably with Jerome Williams and Eddie Robinson, to New York. It's unclear what the Bulls will get in return, but some sources are saying players could be Moochie Norris, Dikembe Mutombo, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski.
    -- Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune (8/3)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN insider is reporting the same thing. seems it will be some combination of deke, frank williams, othella, moochie and shandon anderson with the knicks getting back any/all of the following, crawford, jerome willaims and/or chris jefferies

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they didn't have to trade Frank Williams, I know they don't really need him but I love the way he got in Kidds face last year during the playoffs. The team is full of a bunch of soft players and he was the only exception. He was the only one who stood up when they got ***** slapped by the Nets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's the one i don't want to lose either, but his minutes will be zilch with crawford here. i'd rather not trade 2 expiriing contracts in the same deal...takes away leverage for future deals.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll believe it when I see it, Crawford has been "close" to coming to NY for a month already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Denver Post had a quick blurn abot Kiki van. talking with teh Bulls about Crawford, but nothing was "imminent". Isiah better hurry if he wants this guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    dammit I want Jamal

TomShane
    Isiah knows his guards. Crawford is streaky, but he gets to the rack. This is the end of Allan Houston, thank God.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's finally done, good pickup considering that Allan Houston doesn't have much left.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crawford and Jerome Williams go to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, former University of Illinois standout Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski. Mutombo and Trybanski won't be around long.

The Bulls already have talked to Houston about a deal involving Eric Piatkowski, league sources said. If that doesn't materialize, the veteran center, who is currently out of the country, likely would be dealt. Trybanski will attend training camp and then be waived.

frees up a lot of $$$ for the bulls next summer.
    anyone know who the free agents might be?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bulls just wanted to make space so they can re-sign Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler
    Since they are both coming up soon.

They dont want to get into luxury tax with a losing team I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knicks gave up 4 expiring contracts, which is exactly what the Bulls wanted. Gordon and Hinrich will be the Bulls starting backcourt.

From the Knicks point of view, they now have a 3 guard rotation, especially if Houston is healthy (big if) and he accepts a role as a 6th man (which I think he will). Crawford and Marbury can both get to the hoop, which the Knicks haven't had since Ray Williams and Michael Ray Richardson back in the 1980's.

Also, look at things this way. The Knicks got the 2 best players in this 6 player deal. Can't argue with that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Crawford and Williams you are right MBN007 The Knicks got the two best players while Chicago got what they wanted for next year salary cap flexibiity to sign Chandler and Curry. That is how deals are done in the NBA now-teams are looking to get players with expiring contracts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Faba;

You are 100% correct. The Bulls need teh cash to lock up Chandler and Curry. Those guys are the future, along with the 2 kid guards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Knicks get more guys who only want to shoot, do so badly, and don't pass, play defense or rebound or have any size. GREAT. I can see 1st round playoff exits for years to come. And they never clear any big cap room to get an actual big-time player nor get into the lottery.

The Knicks will suck forever. Explain how they can beat the Pistons, the Pacers or Shaq's Heat, or even the Nets or Sixers? Forget'em. Eff the Dolans FOREVER!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bugg@Aug 6 2004, 01:28 PM
    The Knicks get more guys who only want to shoot, do so badly, and don't pass, play defense or rebound or have any size. GREAT. I can see 1st round playoff exits for years to come. And they never clear any big cap room to get an actual big-time player nor get into the lottery.

The Knicks will suck forever. Explain how they can beat the Pistons, the Pacers or Shaq's Heat, or even the Nets or Sixers? Forget'em. Eff the Dolans FOREVER!
    who said the Knicks were going to win it all?

All I care about is having a decent team to root for that can compete, instead of the collection of over-paid garbage that Layden threw out on the court at the begining of last year.

Now we've got a team thats watch-able, and if we play our cards right, we might be able to win our extremely weak division :ph34r:

God bless division re-alignment. Now we go up against NJ, Boston, Phili and another chumpy east team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bugg@Aug 6 2004, 12:28 PM

Jerome Williams is another Oakley type - all heart, and plays tough defense, and rebounds. He is not a scorer. In fact, he's exactly what this team needs.

Add Dampier, another guy who plays defense, and doesn't need the ball, and the Knicks are a much improved team over last season.

Championship contender? No, not yet. But a much improved team, who will be more fun to watch and root for. couldn't say that beofre December 21, 2003, could we?