Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 2005: Corey who?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Help me out here guys! I seem to have misplaced my rushing attack!

In 2004 I had a pretty solid selection of rushing plays (primarily using the Pats playbook, since thats the one I knew best). While some of my favorites have returned, some of my bread and butter rushing plays are getting blown up like nothing! My rushing average has to be like 2-3 YPC at best.

I'm routinely getting destroyed in the backfield, I have guards missing blocks, I can't run outside for the life of me due to MLBs who all seem to have the range of Ray Lewis... good god...

Someone throw me a bone here! My precision passing offense is sputtering because I can't use the run to set up the quick passing game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was having the same problems for the most part and I would continue to get killed in the backfield. The only run plays that seem to be working are counters. You can usually get a counter and either take it between the tackle and the guard or pull it wide with your FB blocking anyone who comes outside if your WR does not pick him up. Otherwise my running game pretty much sucks because on most plays running up the middle gets me raped by the DLine and running outside usually gets the OLB, CB, or S to get me before any significant gain. Also using the playmaker presnap on running plays occasionally works.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you dont keep the defense honest, you wont get anywhere on the ground. Like penning10 said, you must use counters to keep the Lb's from pursuing to the ball like hawks, just like in real life. I noticed if I mix it up very well, counter, sweep, toss, dive, delay, then another counter, that will keep the defense guessing and get you some good yards.

Another key is to go where the play is designed to go. When using Curtis Martin it looks like i'm going to get killed, then all of a sudden i break for 5-7 yards cause I ran exactly behind the tackle, guard, te, or center. Follow the play EXACTLY.

One more important piece of advice, you MUST keep your finger off the speed burst button until your FB is ahead of you and has hit his block, then accelerate through the hole with the speed burst button. You have to let your blocks set up, you cannot outrun, or even but up your FB's behind.

And after all this is done, then the playaction works like a charm, especially with the Pennington classic turn your back to the defense fake....hehehe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Penning10@Aug 13 2004, 12:02 PM
    I was having the same problems for the most part and I would continue to get killed in the backfield. The only run plays that seem to be working are counters. You can usually get a counter and either take it between the tackle and the guard or pull it wide with your FB blocking anyone who comes outside if your WR does not pick him up. Otherwise my running game pretty much sucks because on most plays running up the middle gets me raped by the DLine and running outside usually gets the OLB, CB, or S to get me before any significant gain. Also using the playmaker presnap on running plays occasionally works.
    I have noticed that the WR blocking is much better than in the past.

Vinny, on the note of sweeps: In virtually every PS2 Madden game, it feels like a sweep is a guaranteed 4-5 yard loss. I've never been very successful running them, and have been extremely successful defending them.

I tend to mix it up between dives (and blasts/smashes, etc), off tackle, and counters. I rarely use draws, and never use sweeps, as I've historically never had success with them. Maybe I'll go fiddle in practice mode and see what I can do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweeps actually work in this game for a change. The key to getting a sweep to work is to not press the speed burst button. You have to kind of jog over there and let your blocks set up, then when you see everyone engaged, you burst it upfield for a big gain. After a while, defenses will jam the middle for your blasts and this is then a must.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fiddled around in practice mode a bit, to work on the sweeps. I still get clobbered more than I'd like, but at least they are no-gain clobbers instead of 4 yard loss clobbers.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm a bit bitter that some of my favorite plays are gone from my Pats playbook, but I'm learning to deal. At least I have some new formations to play with! (singleback Big - 3TE is a favorite of mine now)

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jared@Aug 13 2004, 09:38 PM
    I fiddled around in practice mode a bit, to work on the sweeps. I still get clobbered more than I'd like, but at least they are no-gain clobbers instead of 4 yard loss clobbers.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm a bit bitter that some of my favorite plays are gone from my Pats playbook, but I'm learning to deal. At least I have some new formations to play with! (singleback Big - 3TE is a favorite of mine now)
    All my favorite run plays are still in the playbook but I'm making an effort to diversify a little. In the years past I had a handful of plays that I constantly run. Now I'm trying all of the plays. Even if it's 3rd. and long I'll run a different pass play as opposed to my money plays. I think it will be better for my game in the longrun.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are some running plays you liked? My favorite was actually HB Slash out of singleback, but thats gone. I also loved FB Trap out of Strong I, but that's getting blown up a lot more than it used to.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jared@Aug 14 2004, 11:18 AM
    What are some running plays you liked? My favorite was actually HB Slash out of singleback, but thats gone. I also loved FB Trap out of Strong I, but that's getting blown up a lot more than it used to.
    I run all the counter plays out of the I, Strong, and Weak formations. Those seem to be my bread and butter plays.