Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jets take it Queasy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    JETS TAKE IT QUEASY

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 14, 2004

NEW ORLEANS These are the kinds of games that make Herman Edwards physically ill. Watching his team turn the ball over and commit penalties is worse for Edwards than a case of food poisoning.

Sure, the Jets did some good things in their 23-13 loss to the Saints in last night's preseason opener at the Superdome. But it was difficult in the aftermath of the loss for Edwards to focus on them.

"It (the good) all gets marred because of the way you play," Edwards said.

He was referring to the two fumbles backup QB Brooks Bollinger lost (one on a sack and the other on a botched center snap exchange), which cost the Jets dearly. The six penalties for 51 yards and inconsistent offensive play in the red zone didn't help Edwards' mood either.

"We have got to learn from this, because we can't win like this," Edwards said. "We had good effort, but we were not smart at all. Penalties and turnovers characterized this game for us. Penalties and fouls kill you. Turnovers kill you. Continue to play like that and it's very, very difficult to win.

[b]"We've got some young players here who have to understand we don't play that way around here. They've got to understand that and understand that in a hurry."[/b]

Bollinger, who recovered from his poor start, took responsibility for "costing" the Jets the game with his turnovers. He later left the game with a knee injury that doesn't appear serious.

The first gaffe came when Saints DE Darren Howard sacked Bollinger and stripped him of the ball, which was recovered by teammate Charles Grant at the New Orleans 41-yard line. The Jets, having driven the ball to the New Orleans 33, seemed poised to score after FS Jon McGraw made an interception in Saints' territory. Those were at least three points that were given away.

The botched snap gave the Saints the ball on the Jets' 18 and led to New Orleans' first points a six-yard scoring pass from Todd Bouman to Jerome Pathon for a 7-3 lead with 43 seconds remaining in the first quarter. That's a 10-point swing the wrong way for the Jets, who would never recover.

What also irritated Edwards, along with Chad Pennington (3-of-5, 32 yards), was the fact despite the extensive offseason work on red zone efficiency the Jets were unable to get a TD out of their first drive.

[b]"They moved the ball at times, but we didn't score (a TD)," Edwards said. "We have to score points. The emphasis as we came into this camp was to score touchdowns and we didn't do it. We kicked field goals and that's not good enough."[/b]

What was markedly better was the speed and pursuit of the defense, particularly evident in the play of No. 1 pick Jonathan Vilma.

On one play, an otherwise innocuous one-yard gain by Saints' RB Aaron Stecker in the second quarter, Vilma illustrated how different life is going to be in the Jets' linebacking corps as he ran Stecker down in rapid pursuit toward the sideline. In the past, Stecker would have beaten the linebackers around the corner and gone for eight, 10, 12 or more yards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like Herm is not taking easy this year, I hope he can keep up that intensity

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penalties can be worked on biggest bright spot we came out healthy

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Herm is getting tough!!! This is good

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bocajetfan68[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:59 AM
    [b] Penalties can be worked on biggest bright spot we came out healthy [/b][/quote]
    right now health is huge...just get me to the opener with no major injuries....i really believe if we stay injury free we can go a long way this year..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 08:55 AM
    [b] [b]"They moved the ball at times, but we didn't score (a TD)," Edwards said. [/b][/quote]
    That's because hackjob continues to throw that god awful fade route in the endzone. Did we really need to see it twice in a row?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 08:59 AM
    [b] sounds like Herm is not taking easy this year, I hope he can keep up that intensity [/b][/quote]
    I hope it rubs off on the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 03:17 PM
    [b] Herm is getting tough!!! This is good [/b][/quote]
    its an act.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by helbigjet+Aug 14 2004, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (helbigjet @ Aug 14 2004, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetman67[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 03:17 PM
    [b] Herm is getting tough&#33;&#33;&#33; This is good [/b][/quote]
    its an act. [/b][/quote]
    even if it is...so what get tough and let it transfer to the team then come home and watch Steel Magnolias with a box of tissues for all I care, but be tough with the team, I didn&#39;t see the game but they said he was much more animated on the sidelines than in years pasts, I like it act or not